New Electrify America Station Branding

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Sep 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Thought this was interesting. Expect to see new charging station labels rolling out...now if they could just roll out more dependable charging stations everywhere.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I just saw the email and thought the exact same thing! Lol

4. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

I’d prefer they said:
    “For cars that can charge faster than 150kW”.
    “For cars that can’t charge faster than 150kW”.

Otherwise every non EV geek is going to plug into the 350 with their Chevy Bolt or whatever…

Fast, Rapid, Ultra, Hyper names are just not memorable or industry standardized…

But yes, they should concentrate on keeping the things running not branding…

Hatch, LegoZ, SameGuy and 3 others like this.
  5. GvilleGuy

I had the same thought about drivers not realizing which station they 'should' use. Bigger is better! Youtube comments are along the same lines.

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Anyone want to guess the ratio of Hyper Fast chargers to "Balanced" Hyper Fast chargers?

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

YUL
    I’m unexplainably emotional watching the news from the UK right now, and this made me laugh out loud.

9. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I don’t like to be a whiner, but what we really need is charger reliability, more chargers, and a charger screen that can be read in bright sunlight (or better yet a solar roof car port at each charger). Me thinks a new label is simply lipstick on the pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I don't think of "hyper" as greater (faster/more powerful) than "ultra". I think EA has it backwards.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    GvilleGuy and polyphonic like this.
  11. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

All of this. I think Electrify America has been seriously mismanaged.

LegoZ and GvilleGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    What a rich legacy of (mis)management VW bestows upon anything they touch!

14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Siemens is now a minority shareholder since June 2022. What a sheer coincidence! Since the Ultra 150kW and Hyper 350kW chargers are the same price level for time based charging, the Chevy Bolt driver should just plug in the 350kW Hyper charger.

Also just for general interest, the estimated marginal difference of charging at Ultra 150kW vs Hyper 350kW for the 77.4kWh IONIQ5 is 2.39 minutes (mostly 0-55% SoC before 115kW charging rampdown at 55%+ SoC).

GvilleGuy, carrrl and SameGuy like this.
  15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

How long before somebody makes stickers like this to apply atop those labels when the charging stations aren't functional?

upload_2022-9-8_17-10-11.png

On my first long (275-mile) expedition in my SE yesterday, I encountered what I've learned to be a common situation: a pair of non-functional Blink 30kW charging stations. Fortunately, I had enough charge to get to the next town with working Electrify America DCFCs. Even better, the charging was "complimentary!" I won't be complaining about Electrify America this week.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  16. GvilleGuy

Nice touch up on that logo - well done.

LegoZ and insightman like this.
  17. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I’ll buy a pack of these and start labeling broken chargers I find in the wild. A dozen won’t do, I’ll need a gross!

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  18. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Yeah, honestly, my thought the second I saw that was shouldn’t they all say up to 38 kW :/
    Honestly, I would prefer that they prominently display the max charge speed that they’re capable of doing at the time on the screen and keep it there until the session is started.

GetOffYourGas and GvilleGuy like this.
  19. Marty V

Marty V New Member

I spend a lot of time on the phone with EA, trying to get a charge...The last time the instructions included "hold up the heavy liquid cooled plug and cable" to allow the charger and car to finish having their little chat, before the charge started. Once the charge started, I let go of the plug, and the charge continued while the charger went back to saying " unplug the car and try again". The charge completed and I was on my way, thinking if they paid me $0.43 per minute of setup time, all my charging would be free.

LegoZ and GvilleGuy like this.
  20. KJ - Co

KJ - Co New Member

The new labels are actually useful to more easily differentiate the chargers, which will reduce adjustments from pulling into the wrong spot. I did come across new chargers in Loveland, Colorado. One cable that's longer, touch screen worked, and payment screen also worked with NFC. Charging was complementary. And not fiddly, so I'm happy with progress. Will he happier with more infrastructure and signage saying when chargers are at gas stations at upcoming exits.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  21. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

This.

I’ve never understood why gas stations have not been the first logical place to add electric car charging. I only know of one in all of Southern Arizona, and it’s Tesla only. Boo!! Hiss!!

What do gas stations think they will become when the majority migrates to electric? CLOSED!

Apparently PILOT will be adding charges soon, but they tend to be located in more rural freeway locations, not usually urban or even suburban.

Now with FreeWire Technologies, any location can add DC Fast-charging. So there is no longer any excuse for gas stations to not have DC Fast-charging.

GreenDragon and GetOffYourGas like this.
  22. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Most gas stations around here make the big money selling snacks and beverages. The margin on the gas itself is really quite thin, and they mainly sell it to draw in customers.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  23. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

All the more reason to have DC chargers. More time charging means more time to sell goodies.