Who updates their SE software?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by azausa, Sep 5, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I don't recall if this question has been asked or a poll has been conducted. If there is one, can you kindly point me to it.

I brought in our SE today so the dealer can fix the cloud spots on the ceramic coating, and he gave me a 2022 (2023 for the US) SE, and I played around with it and noticed that the software versions for the telephone & the media are different from mine.

They are:
    Telephone - TT-002.162.001
    Media - MT-002.162.001

whereas mine are:
    Telephone - TT-002.156.007
    Media - MT-002-156.007

even the maps are different, the loaner SE already has a 2023 version of the NZ maps, whereas the latest map that I can download is a 2022 map; here in NZ we can only download maps and they cannot be updated OTA.

My question is, is there any point or need to really update the software version of the SE, should I talk to my dealer to update the software & the map?

I kind of recall that @Puppethead is the only one who has approached his dealer to update his SE software.

wessy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

They typically only do updates if you're having a problem.

Puppethead likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My dealer told me they only update software to fix an issue, but I did convince them to update mine (my version was really old, being one of the first SEs delivered). They charged me one hour of labor, which I thought was reasonable. It didn't make any noticeable change, but I felt better. In the US we get OTA navigation updates, which is the bigger deal. I noticed a number of mapping errors that have been corrected with the navigation updates.

GvilleGuy, endquote and wessy like this.
  5. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I love the fact that we don’t need software updates. Unlike this ID.4 driver who is waiting for an update to fix all of the beta software they saddled him with.
    A153D2A2-28A5-450B-B4EF-D31C16ACB695.jpeg

CuriousGeorge and SameGuy like this.
  6. endquote

endquote Active Member

The dated software experience, lack of wifi, and no chance of meaningful updates are all disappointing aspects of the car. Definitely an indicator of an ICE conversion rather than an entry into the modern world.

F14Scott and carrrl like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I see the Oxford SE as a bridge to the world of sporty EVs. I love the heritage interior and exterior and don't miss the features Tesla owners take for granted, like OTA software updates. I'm glad MINI didn't have to jack up the price to include such features (many of which would likely have been lost due to the chip shortage). I was initially disappointed that the MINI-E turned into a BMW i3 instead of a production MINI Electric. Now I'm happy to benefit from BMW's years of experience producing the i3.

These are the good old days in the era of small, sporty EVs.

9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Speaking of the i3, that reminds me back in 2016 when a car thief in London forgot to turn off the dashcam.

endquote and insightman like this.
  10. Puppethead

Lack of OTA updates I think is more a sign of old-school car maker thinking. With ICE cars it was okay to limit software updates to service visits because: 1) there wasn't much software in cars that could be updated, and 2) ICE cars go in for service regularly for other reasons.

BEVs are moving cars into the world of computers on wheels, and owner expectations are changing. Tesla clearly shows how effective OTA updating is, and other car makers need to realize it's a new world of owner experience. BMW (MINI) has the underpinnings for OTA updates, but they seem reticent to make the leap.

F14Scott and endquote like this.
  11. luluna

luluna New Member

Wait, so we can't update the software on the Mini ourselves?

I didn't even think about that. My 2013 Hyundai gives me the option to download updates to a USB stick to perform my own updates.

carrrl likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

The SE actually has that as well but MINI (BMW) doesn't make any files available to download, at least none I've found.

SameGuy and luluna like this.
  14. insightman

Here are 3 relevant snippets from the MINI Navigation/Entertainment/Communication Manual:

upload_2022-9-5_20-26-48.png

upload_2022-9-5_20-34-33.png

upload_2022-9-5_20-35-0.png

CrazyLegs17 likes this.
  15. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

I wouldn’t mind the lack of updates if the experience were perfect. Dated on arrival map OTAs, random CarPlay bugs (that are the fault of the head unit), even simple LED light color has amnesia switching away from profile color at random despite a single key and profile used. The safety/ACC system near daily bugs out in situations it should not. Some people are waiting months to a year for a bug fix on their missing back up lines…

I’ve got plenty of feature requests but simple bug fixes is where I’d be happy.

endquote and SameGuy like this.
  16. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Are bugs more common on 2022+ models? We have a 2021 that has been pretty great, the only annoyance being the occasional CarPlay glitch requiring a re-pairing from scratch (has happened about 3-4 times in 2 years, but it does require you to pull over and fiddle with it for 5+ minutes to get going again). Other than that - no problems. The tech is definitely modest, but the fact that it has worked reliably has made life easy. Hopefully our 2023 model will be just as good.

CarPlay hasn’t been perfect on any car I have owned or driven. I can honestly say it’s been best in the MINI. I do wonder if it can run in wired mode for better reliability. Certainly the phone wouldn’t heat up as much.

I know this is somewhat sacrilege among internet car folks, but I vastly preferred the Tesla system to CarPlay. Jump in the car with phone in pocket, navigation and Spotify work immediately and without fuss. Phone doesn’t lose any charge since it’s not being used. CarPlay itself really seems like a bandaid for poor auto tech.

17. Puppethead

I'm curious what would be a head unit issue? CarPlay is all done on the phone, the head unit is basically just display and controls. I find CarPlay in the SE to be a very reliable experience. The only issue I've run into is the audio doesn't switch back to the radio after a phone call, and that's been an Apple CarPlay bug (they fixed it once but it got re-introduced recently).

18. insightman

Is this a bug or a feature deleted on lower trims with the 2022 LCI? I don't believe I've read any Iconic owner report their SE is missing the back-up guidelines. Has anyone ever had this "bug" fixed?

19. An update... I took the plunge, and I asked my dealer to update my software and map, here are my findings and these apply at least to NZ:

1. He did update my map, so I now have the 2023 version. I know for a fact that map updates here in NZ are via the USB which you download the Mini portal, I have done this and updated my maps from the 2021 version to the 2022 version; what I cannot understand is, the Mini portal will only download a 2022 version but not the 2023 version, but the dealer can.
    - map updates here in NZ are free during the 3 yr warranty period, after that I will subscribe to the map updates via USB. I prefer the Mini Maps as they come out on the HUD, if only Google Maps or Apple Maps can do that.

2. The dealer cannot update my software, not because he did not want to; but because:
    - the update software needs to be ordered, so I have to book in a time. Is is really perplexing for a software update to be ordered.
    - the update software will be loaded via the OBD connection, but the NZ version of the manual and when you go to the SE menu settings, it says you can update the software via USB
    - the update software can be installed every time you go for a service, so in my 3 yr warranty, I can request for a software update free of charge; my 1st one will be Sep 2023. After which I have to pay for every request for a software update.

So, I am still questioning the value of the software update.

carrrl likes this.
  20. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

This deserved a shout out rather than simply clicking like! It made me laugh and also want to start decorating for Halloween...

polyphonic likes this.
  21. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Content displayed on the screen is entirely the phone, but everything else is the head unit. The technical details of who is responsible for what is openly documented. Every manufacturer essentially implements or reimplements the protocols CarPlay expects and that opens a lot of room for error.

Most commonly in my SE the link errors out in an unrecoverable way. Audio and display performance grinds to a halt, stutters, and/or glitches non-stop making it completely unusable. Rebooting the phone does not help when in this state. Only resolves when the car is off for 10-15 minutes and the head unit reboots or resumes from a deep sleep state. It's also completely horrible at handling more than one device. These are not broad CarPlay issues as other OEM and aftermarket vehicles haven't had these problems in my experience. I've never had wired issues but that's also not an option for us.

22. Puppethead

I have never experienced anything like that with CarPlay in my SE (I have an iPhone 12 Pro). Maybe an issue you can have fixed under warranty?

23. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Just curious which model of iPhone you use? I used to have quite a few glitches on iPhone XS Max. I got an iPhone 12 (non-Pro) last year and most CarPlay issues disappeared. Much more reliable.