Why did you choose the trim level you choose?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MarkSasaki, Aug 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jawad Malik

Jawad Malik Member

I ordered and now have the Resolute edition because with $10K (Colorado + Federal) in rebates that's a top trim car for $28K. That's in the economy car territory for a pretty nice car. So a no brainer in my view.

In terms of features, I am using and appreciating ACC more than I thought. It works very smoothly in an EV compared to an ICE car. I also like having HUD in my cars. I like the Resolute edition cosmetic touches, both inside and out. Don't really care for the HK audio. Have not used self-parking even once. So a mixed bag of features that I really like and some that I do not care too much about either way.

The case for a base SE for $20K after tax rebates, would also have been very strong. But I was told that actually getting a base SE built might take 1 year so I decided to go for Resolute and am glad that I did.

Scrambler, SameGuy and insightman like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You must try the self-parking feature at least once. I found watching my SE park itself as scary-fun as a roller-coaster ride--both I and my SE came through unscathed.

4. Jawad Malik

Jawad Malik Member

LOL ... that sounds scary.
    OK - I am going to try it for the thrills at least once :)

SameGuy likes this.
  5. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I wanted the lightest car possible so I definitely didn't want the sunroof, heads up display, HK stereo, etc. The slick top also just looks better.

BackPack, Scrambler and Rexsio like this.
  6. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I was planning a video of the parking assistant, so I tried it a few times at a local high school where there were parking barriers set up. I tried about 10 passes and it recognized the barriers as a parking spot twice. Not the fault of the Mini system...it's not supposed to recognize wood structures as cars! But the two times it activated it worked great.

SameGuy and MichaelC like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You did "add lightness," as the late Colin Chapman always advocated. Now that the Signature+ 2.0 has a sunroof, and the sunroof-delete option is gone, all SE's now come with the sunroof, right?

Scrambler likes this.
  9. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

I went with Iconic as I am always one that wants all of the toys. My engineer brain hurts when I don't have something on a car that could have been there. It is bad enough I lost the alarm on mine. :(

I did delete the sunroof though and I am glad it went through like that. To me a sunroof on a car has always been rather useless.

Cons:
    - Heavier
    - Less head room
    - An additional leak path for water
    - Another thing to break
    - Lets sun into the car to further bake it during hot days

Pros:
    - It lets sun in even though I am focused on actually driving the car so I barely notice
    - Better ventilation

Scrambler and Rexsio like this.
  10. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

I am an engineer too, so I feel your pain. Although I don't mind losing the alarm and heated steering wheel, I hate having blank switch covers, my 2019 Cooper S was an Iconic but I did not get the self parking feature and I had a blank spot where the switch would be, it drove me nuts. On my SE, I made sure I got it, no blank switch and I am happy now. I'm just glad the heated steering wheel I did not get didn't have a switch in the middle of the dash where I would see a blank.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  11. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

I went Sig+ because it had things I wanted like pano roof and HK. It also gave access to wheels I liked, and a leather option. I was trying to lean into the value and skip the Iconic's different leather option, and wasn't interested particularly in ACC, HUD or park assist - though I get the blank switch cover thing!

However, since I took delivery, I won't go into details, but our circumstances have dramatically altered. As such, in my future (later this year) it looks like extremely likely that I will have the opportunity to order one in the UK, and based on the spec levels there, I'll definitely be going with an L3.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

The plus cost 4,000 more and I got the HK that wasnt available in the summer of 2021. Yes I could litigate it, but is it worth the fight when I could get a color my wife prefers with the HK I prefer, and the mirror/homelink? It was easier to switch.

14. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

"Chose" the Signature as there was one coming in that I was able to take over someone else's canceled order. The only reason I would have wanted Iconic was for the black trim, so I was going to go with Sig+ for the folding mirrors, sunroof, and homelink and do the black upgrades on my own.

After having mine I'm glad I have the base Sig as the mirrors were just a nice to have, the sunroof I would rarely use, and the rearview mirror is actually a far reach for a garage button (and I even have long arms). Ended up not spending near as much, and got one of the last Sig models with heated steering wheel, reverse sensors, and alarm!

Rexsio likes this.
  15. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

If I have to depend on self parking future I surrender a license and hire a chauffeur and all those expensive future are kicking your butt to be fixed for big $ years later.

16. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Understatement of the year. ;)

17. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

You may understand 71 years old driver .

18. SameGuy

YUL
    The black roof makes the well-designed sun(moon)roof look pretty damn slick, though.

azausa likes this.
  19. SameGuy

YUL
    I will own a convertible again at some point, but agree on the sunroof. I’ve even placed the Amazon sun shades between the roller shade and the glass and it wouldn’t surprise me if I lose one some day in a few weeks when I decide to give the roof a workout but forget about the added shade!

20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

As 50 % those kids never drives manual transmission to me is the same newest technologies but as old dud is my 7 year driving EV I 3 / SE now and I don’t have App’s on my I phone charging only at my garage also to my young neighbors I’m telling them as they drive ACE cars they driving Dinosaurs and crying about $5 gas is difficult transition not for me in 7 years I pay nothing for gas bc owning solar panels my electric bills are $000000

21. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

Went with the '23 Signature (base) for a few reasons:
    • Total price after incentives couldn't be beat
    • Performance is same across all trims
    • Carplay and larger screen offered as standard

22. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

23. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

I know right!!! That's why I did not get when I ordered my Iconic 2019 Cooper S but then the blank spot where the button goes drove me nuts too. My brother and law came over when I got the car and we tried it just because and it worked well. I'll probably never use it again but at least there is a button now.