Front license plate on your MINI?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by HappyKafka, Jul 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

Would you mind sharing a few more photos of down low and side profile of the installed Sto-N-Sho on your Mini? I’m in need a front plate option and I too prefer a centered plate.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Your plate appears to extend lower than the splitter. Does it ever scrape on a steep driveway or on a parking bumper? Can the mounting plate be flipped to raise the license plate?

4. LittleWoods

LittleWoods Active Member

Sure! Here are a few more quick pictures, hopefully giving you a better idea of what it will be like.

I've only driven a little bit since installing, but based on everything I can see, I don't expect any issues with scraping. The plate isn't lower than anything else on the car's underside.

9F3317F4-B8FC-4FA5-AEE3-86F8FC558369.jpeg 560BA21F-C0CB-4CD8-ABD4-04977E3C1D34.jpeg FE8BD3FB-B7D1-4E3A-9D9B-835C74D48BD7.jpeg

GvilleGuy, h-dogg, SameGuy and 2 others like this.
  5. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

That would definitely give me trouble in my driveway.

6. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

You must be awfully close to begin with. This looks like it sticks out an inch maybe. Then again, I can’t get in/out of my sister’s driveway without scraping so now I just park in the street when I visit her.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I have a very short and steep apron on the driveway. Backing in is fine, backing out worries me. Fortunately, Mini's have a short overhang.

9. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

@LittleWoods Behind the rectangle behind your license plate is the radiator for the batteries. Anything higher than that area is cooling for the A/C. I get why you did this but I think you would be better off with a tow hook license plate frame.

10. LittleWoods

Not sure I follow why that would make any difference - can you explain?

11. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

The SE seems to have limited cooling to begin with and you are limiting the air flow to the radiator. If this happens, power output will be reduced until the batteries have a chance to cool off.

For example, this is a video of an SE on a track and it started cutting power because it go too hot:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. LittleWoods

Thanks for the video! I won't be driving anything as hard as a track session, so I'm not too worried in that regard. There's still plenty of unobstructed vent, and space behind the plate for air to move up and over that I think it will be ok. I'll definitely keep an eye on it and report back any problems.

JonR likes this.
  14. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I don't think that's right.

On mine there's one small radiator in front and a full height large one behind (it extends above and below the small front rad). The large one in back has black coolant hose coming out of it so is almost certainly the coolant for the drivetrain. I couldn't see the connections to the smaller radiator but it has airflow from both the bottom opening and the middle opening

15. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

The ICE F56 has the A/C condenser in front and the larger radiator behind, so the F56 BEV would probably use the large radiator for the motor+batteries and the smaller one for the cabin heat pump (compressor & chiller) loop.

16. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

Hey all. I finally got my registration so I could mount my plates. I also was able to get the correct mount bolt for the USMillworks front plate mount. Our SE’s require a longer bolt than the normal Cooper S. Fortunately USMillworks has a pretty wide selection of bolt lengths with the Mini thread pitch and diameter so we found one that worked great! I was also able to mount the plate so it didn’t block any parking sensors.

If you do want to pick up this kit I would recommend emailing them and letting them know you need a bolt that works with the Mini Cooper SE. You can mention that they just worked with Jason in Seattle to get the right one.

Without further ado, pics!!
    View attachment 17851
    View attachment 17852

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    turbofuzzy and insightman like this.
  17. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

Since the photos are being weird, here they are again.
    IMG_2719.JPG IMG_2717.JPG

GvilleGuy and MichaelC like this.
  18. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

19. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I don’t believe that Boolshit video I was pushing a car 75-94 m/hr racing a car for about 4 miles in 100’ temperature a SE never cut down a power with battery about only 70% only on Hankooks basically straight run on sport mode and high regen without using a brakes .And i measure temperature on top of motor without motor cover temperature never reach 100 ‘ with this abuse .That video was not telling outside temperature and guy was not pushing a car to a limit here and there he was doing 30-50 m/hr . I’m exiting a ramps to highway doing 70 m/hr. And he is telling me he overheated a car??? Give me a brake.

20. rlozano

rlozano Member

Looks awesome, I have my STO N SHO on the box, since I still do not have my License Plates, but once I get it will be installed.

21. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

We ordered and installed our Sto N Sho today. Very happy with it. We just want to get a thin black license plate frame for it. We have one on the back and it blends better on the Mini. She’ll get her weekly bath tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GvilleGuy and SameGuy like this.
  22. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Canadian Tire should have some piano black style license plate frames.

23. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

With this location of license plate you blocking about 50 % of air flow to radiator which in SE is important for air flow freely and in a parking lots with concrete stops you knock down that plate fast if you not careful bc stick out below a spoiler and two points of fastening a plate is not any rigidity there .Good lack with that idea.