Sun Shade for the SE?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by David Comstock, Jul 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi All,

Can someone please recommend a good sun shade for the SE's front windshield? I looked at covercraft.com but those seem a bit overpriced for a sun shade.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@chrunck likes the MINI sun shade made by Covercraft. He says in this post there are two versions, depending on if you have a rain sensor (which, I believe, all SEs do).

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I ordered the third version directly from Covercraft. I can’t comment as to its fit yet, as the shades are made-to-order and take 10-15 business days before being shipped. Oh, and I need the car, too. The third version lists “front camera” along with rain sensor. But I own two other Covercraft shades. The one for the 2018 Crosstrek couldn’t fit any better, while that for the smart is a bit loose — probably due to the tight confines and steep rake.

5. endquote

endquote Active Member

My “premium” Covercraft sunshade is arriving on Monday.

I’ve been using a junky Amazon one that doesn’t fit right and is awkward to install and remove. Decided to just spend more for the nice thing.

(Also bought a junky back seat cover for the dog and ended up getting Covercraft for that too. Expensive for sure but fits well and should last forever.)

SameGuy likes this.
  6. endquote

endquote Active Member

Use the “YEAH21” code for 10% off.

SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

YUL
    I think during Prime Days no code was needed but I definitely paid less than the current list price on their site. Thanks for the code, @endquote !

9. I'm getting my car tinted with XPEL Prime XR plus which blocks 91% of UV rays. For anyone looking to kill 2 birds with one stone this might be ideal for you.

Rogwp and BackPack like this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    Thanks for the link. I don’t want anything on my windshield (especially with an expensive film there), but I’m sure this solution appeals to many members!

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

When you put sun shade you park a car to protect. A windshield from sun who give a dem about rain sensors

14. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

When you protect a dashboard that make a sense

15. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I’m very good mechanic I recycle my I3 bmw sun shield protection which I build from Reflectix foil insulation which inhibits or eliminates condensation/nontoxic/no carcinogenic and was 5/16” thick and a I3 windshield on I 3 was 3x4’ on SE 2x4’ was good to cut to small size and to make look good on my SE I did some painting to express SE sun protection and this is my custom build .This staff is on Amazon for 17.88 to cover 2 windshield if you have a little imagination to cut this with any thing. 5C7AD768-3679-4A89-B4AA-22D4787099B4.jpeg 03CC21A4-5C9B-4275-8325-73964BC999CC.jpeg 56360C37-1262-4B1E-9E91-DB23DACEE30C.jpeg

Matt007b likes this.
  16. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

I can verify that the second version (p/n UV11363SV), which is made for MINIs with the rain sensor, is not cut correctly around the rear view mirror area. See the attached pic.

I am eager to find out if the third version corrects this area!

PXL_20220124_200430057.jpg

17. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

18. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Denise C likes this.
  19. endquote

endquote Active Member

I think I'm going to try returning the Covercraft (minus shipping + restock fees). It doesn't fit very well around the rain sensor, especially because the FitCamX adds a little bit of bulk. I'm also not sure where to put it when not in use -- I was planning to use the pouch on the back of the passenger seat, but it doesn't fit well there. (The rest of the back seat zone is reserved for the dog.)

I guess I'll stick with this A1 sun shield (size S) that I found in this Wirecutter article. It's not a custom fit, and getting it in place and stowed feels like a very silly process. But it does cover the window completely, and collapses small enough to fit in that back pouch.

20. SameGuy

YUL
    I use something similar from Costco in the Crapolla. It’s my beater, so I’m not particularly fussy in it. I usually just pop it off the windshield, fold in half, and stow it in the passenger footwell. I worked one summer as a photographer’s gopher, so wrangling springy reflectors is second nature since I was a teen, and I can fully stow it in five seconds if I know I need the space.

21. BackPack

BackPack Member

I totally agree. I had this same window tint added to all my windows including 70% on the windshield. I opted for no moonroof, otherwise I would have also did the moonroof. With this in place, I see no need for any sunshade.

Rogwp likes this.