Integrated dashcam update...

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by drdunkyn, Mar 31, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

While I highly promoted the dash cam I installed, the Jabriel from AliExpress, I discovered a serious shortcoming with this device. It shoots great video, but it turns out that unless you disconnect from any current WiFi (including CarPlay) and connect directly to the camera, every video clip it shoots resorts to a Jan 2020 datestamp and filename. And while if you want to watch the front-facing video that you see while you're driving, the review of any video footage is useless as it will take you a week to actually find the video you're looking for when someone cuts you off or smashes your SE. It's been over the time allotted for a return, since it took several weeks just to get the thing to work in the first place. I'm going to replace it with the Fitcamx which is on their website and also on Aliexpress, and they've assured me that theirs doesn't have this limitation. The model "B" fits our cars apparently. I'll update when I get it and replace. $150 isn't nothing, but it's also not obscene. I'll take the loss to get something functional and useful. IMG_0648.jpeg

J22, Texas22Step, SameGuy and 3 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

That's a bummer - Let us know how the Fitcamx works out, I've flagged it as an option when my Mini comes in.

Texas22Step, insightman and SameGuy like this.
  4. drdunkyn

Ok, very happy to report an update! Despite sending back my Jabriel dash cam (they haven't acknowledged receiving it), I have since received and installed what looks like the same (cosmetically) dash cam as made by FitCamX. It has MUCH improved the physical tech (the sides of the case aren't connected by the camera wire), and it does indeed maintain the date/time for file retrieval. Video footage actually looks better (less fish-eye blurring on the sides), and the camera connects and downloads much more quickly to your phone. I went ahead and got the rear camera as well, and thanks to the plush anthracite headliner easily installed the wire to the back trunk. The camera provides 4k video at the front and 1080p to the back, which is great.

I updated my YT video,

and hope you find this useful. As with all similar cameras, you don't need them until you need them. I hope to never need it, unless I'm showing my daughter what terrible drivers there are around us. ;)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    J22, Urbanengineer, SameGuy and 2 others like this.
  5. What about the Mini Advanced Car Eye System? Is that still available? From what I understand that has a camera for front and rear and is built for the Mnin from Mini parts department.

A0258335_2263.jpg

6. drdunkyn

It appears to still be available, but it's twice as expensive, a 1080p camera (vs 4k), and sticks on your already very small windshield. It requires wiring to the fuse box, I believe. I don't know why they wouldn't make one that is integrated into the mirror and draws power from the rain sensor, though I guess it's because not all models have that. Anyway, I'm very happy with the discrete appearance and relatively simple installation with the FitCamX.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. drdunkyn

I guess I forgot to mention the camera is powered from the rain sensor in the rearview mirror, and replaces the original mirror housing. If you get only the front cam there are no other wires or installation required, it's a very nice, self-contained package!

Texas22Step likes this.
  9. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

How did you get the wire to back for the rear camera? I have a rear dashcam installed that required going around the top edge by the windows, by going around the b-pillar was near impossible for me. I was hoping I could send the wire straight down the center but it seems there's a lot of "stuff" in the way, even though I opted for no monroof.

10. drdunkyn

I just tucked it under the roof liner. You can pry off the anthracite liner to get it all the way under. IMG_0679.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. drdunkyn

Strange, my YT video stopped working. Here's another link:

BigDawgMike likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

Okay I don't feel so bad now. That's exactly how mine looks! :)

14. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

The Fitcam looks great, from the ease of install and OEMish look. Plus the footage looks pretty good (allowing for YouTube over compression), I also looked at the downloadable video samples on their website.

I see there are 3 variations, will I have to wait until my Sig+ arrives to know which one fits? They don’t say what model/trim/options each variation is for.

15. endquote

endquote Active Member

Pretty sure it’s model B.

is there any concern about the energy usage on this? I’m guessing it’s minimal.

Front cam seems easy enough but I’m still considering the rear, I’d want to hide the wire well but also nervous about prying things apart.

16. Where did you purchase your Fitcam for your Mini and if you don't mind sharing the model # or part #? Thanks!

17. drdunkyn

Glenn Marcucio likes this.
  18. endquote

endquote Active Member

How does the install of the rear camera look physically? Is it distracting in your rear-view?

19. drdunkyn

IMG_0684.JPG Not distracting at all, barely noticeable

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

J22, GvilleGuy and endquote like this.
  20. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I'm definitely considering this FitcamX. The wiring harness splits the power between the rain sensor and the camera?

21. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

They show it in this short video:

22. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

LOL - I was just watching that exact video before you replied.

23. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update! Especially happy you went with the front/rear to give impression of that one.

Went ahead and placed my order for one. Will hopefully arrive around the same time as my SE!

GvilleGuy likes this.