Tires (Summer/Winter/All-Season)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Sep 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Flip them over.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My 195/55R16 Hankooks are wearing a bit. When I looked last year I couldn't find Hankook's Ventus Prime 3 tires anywhere, but now I see Walmart is selling them for $172. They don't appear to be run-flats like the ones Tire Rack sells, but I'm not sure Walmart knows much about the tires they pass along.

5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I don't see a unidirectional or rotation requirement on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's so you should be fine. Granted the pictures are really small and I double checked some Asymmetric 2 youtube videos for better closeups. Rexio was asking about the Nokian WR G4's which clearly have a unidirectional tread pattern.

6. SameGuy

YUL
    I’ve read every post in this thread twice, going back almost 3 years, and I just saw this joke. [facepalm]

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Interesting, I just assumed they’d be directional, being performance tires, but I don’t see evidence of them being directional so I think you’re right. Thanks!

SameGuy likes this.
  9. SameGuy

YUL
    Pretty sure the WR G4 is either discontinued, or about to be discontinued. Also, its Load Range is SL, not XL.

10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I like a price and is every weather approach with small snow in N Y maybe is good choice specifically I’m really not driving 70 miles HR on highways is basically local driving slow and manufactured in Finland could be good choice where you not get a lot of snow they have snow flakes in print on side .As all weather tires they should act better in low 40’F temperatures.They not call them all season tires they all weathers tires My Hankooks below 40’ could not act so good .

11. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

That just means MINI expects you to corner quickly! Typically negative camber and hard cornering results in even tire wear

CuriousGeorge, SameGuy and MichaelC like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

64C05029-C5C9-4AB3-85CB-79CCD51D6949.jpeg

14. SameGuy

YUL
    At the risk of sounding like a pedantic old ninny, you can’t just slap any tires on any vehicle based on size. Very specifically, all three OE summer tires that come standard on the SE have an XL (“extra load”) ply rating (“load range”), and the winter tire sets offered at the dealership are XL as well. There’s a reason for that.

15. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Standard load(SL)tires are intended for normal,everyday use.They are either be marked with ‘SL’ after the tire size or not marked at all .Extra load (XL) tires are designed be able to carry a higher load than Standard Load tires but as long you not put 200 lbs 4 Chicks in your SE you good with SL rate tires for any load and daily driving .This car is not a truck you worry about an extra load! XL unnecessary.

Zim likes this.
  16. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol tell that to the 40-profile S.drives riding a 20 mm rear drop on my ancient smart!

357CF147-3F81-47F7-ADFF-EBBDBB8B9E8A.jpeg B607768F-ADD5-419D-AB33-7ADD73CEEECD.jpeg

Needless to say, it doesn't go out in traffic.

17. Zim

Zim Member

I can't speak for all OE SE tires. But the Hankooks (195/55/16) OEs are definitely not XL.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

18. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

To sell most expensive tires whey can
    you can rotate all of them every 5000 miles only on one side front to rear not cross as old time years before you start driving you get your driving license

19. SameGuy

YUL
    I honestly can’t decipher that last part.

Symmetrical tires cross rotate like always (not “old time”).

Asymmetric [sic] tires also cross rotate like symmetrical tires, as long as they’re not “directional” or “unidirectional.”

Directional (or unidirectional) tires rotate front to back, whether symmetrical or asymmetrical.

20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

How you rotate on SE your tires?

21. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

My Hankooks as number 87 identifies the tire ability to carry approximately 1.201 lbs and a letter W denotes the maximum speed ratings which translates to 168 mph which showing me like this is overrated 50% for SE is good As about rotating those tires as Directional tires are designed to rotate from front to back or vice-versa on the same side of a vehicle

22. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I don’t see on Hankooks any SL or XL marking

23. SameGuy

YUL
    Asymmetrical isn’t directional. If there’s no arrow on the sidewall indicating the “rotation” it’s not directional. They should be cross rotated like symmetrical tires. AFAIK none of the three OE tires are directional.