Charging Data logging?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Ericwc, Jul 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ericwc

Ericwc New Member

So I am old school and with my ICE vehicles I log every service and fuel fill up. I am not expecting to have many service apt to log but how about charging? How are folks logging their charging metrics? I am just planing on using the included charger as of now. Does it have any logging built in? From what I have read it does not seem to.

Thanks
    Eric

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I hear you. I've always been a bit compulsive about recording my gas mileage (not so much repairs - there weren't that many of them). I had a little black book, and then a nice phone app. When I first got the SE, I was at a loss for how to record my charges and mileage. Still looking for suggestions. (Fun but useless fact - my last two ICE Mini's were just a tad over 32 mpg for the duration I had them.)

GetOffYourGas and Ericwc like this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Ericwc likes this.
  5. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

The MINI app does have charging logging built right in. Scroll up to get to it; called Charging History. You can even add a rate $$$, if desired.

IMG_0217.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

rustybones, Ericwc and insightman like this.
  6. CrazyLegs17

CrazyLegs17 New Member

I created a Google Sheet to track the data from the phone app. I calculate the actual kWh numbers against the approximate total in the app to look at the charging efficiency. I note whether or not the charger was free to use and if not the estimated cost based on current electricity rates.

Ericwc likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

The app logs all of the charges. It tells you battery level before and after charge, time of start and duration of charge. It also logs the odometer and a rough estimate of power supplied. I dump that into an Excel Spreadsheet to calculate efficiency.

Ericwc and CrazyLegs17 like this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

For 20 years I logged every single gallon burned and mile driven in my gen-1 Honda Insights. After I sold my 2nd one in 2019 I realized I'll never look at those logs. Now I charge our SE at home and pretend the electricity is free--my wife processes our bills.

Denise C, azausa, Ericwc and 2 others like this.
  10. Right there with you, I was an avid Fuely.com user for 2 cars, but never went back and used that data for anything.
    Mini app logging will be quite sufficient for how often I'll look at this stuff, and if I get an EVSE charger I'll get logging from that too I'm sure.

Ericwc and insightman like this.
  11. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Yes, I've seen the Charging Session part of the Mini app. I guess I'm just getting old and lazy. I was hoping that there was an app that would do the calculations for me. And yes, I know I could create a spreadsheet, but as I say, I'm getting old and lazy. And like klocwerk, I never went back and looked at much of the past information, just the total mpg for each car.

Ericwc likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Ericwc

Ericwc New Member

Thanks everyone, I've been using fuelly since before it was fuelly, I also admit I don't look back at it very often. I did like looking back at past trips to predict future trips and total cost of ownership. But I just actually picked up our Mini today and noticed the charging log feature in the app when I got home. That will probably be good enough. One of the reasons for wanting the charging logs is to prove to myself and maybe stick it to my doubter friends on the money I'm going to be saving by not having to go to a gas station every week anymore :)

revorg likes this.
  14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Congrats on getting your SE! Photos and your impressions would be welcomed.

15. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

IMG_3090.JPG
    I have charge point at home and in the setting I have my current electric company listed. This is how much it cost in the month of June for 1353 miles driven. IMG_3089.JPG

MiniAlpacas likes this.
  16. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

Oh the time it shows how long the charge was is by the time I plug it in. But it doesn’t actually charge until like 4am prior to my departure time setting. So please don’t think it takes 12 hours to charge

SameGuy likes this.
  17. fasttr

fasttr Member

If an iPhone user check this out. Mini Cooper SE - In Focus: Range Calculator: Important Updates!
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/Mini-Cooper-SE---In-Focus%3A-Range-Calculator%3A-Important-Updates%21.13033/