Roof rack on Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robin Mitchell-Boyask, Jun 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi folks,
    I have a Thule rapid reverse foot pack for use with their aero bar, bought for my Prius V. I'm trying to find info on how to change the settings for the Clarity, but Thule doesn't seem to be aware of the Clarity.

Can anyone help here?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I’m guessing that it’ll take some guesswork.

4. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

Neither Thule nor Yakima offer towers for the Clarity.

Gene 2020 Honda Clarity
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Inside EVs mobile app

5. curtisdozier

curtisdozier New Member

Yakima says the Baseline towers fit the Clarity and I am trying to install them but I think the measurements are wrong -- I believe the measurements are for the Clarity EV since in the Baseline clip instructions they're listed for models 2017-19 and the Clarity Plug-In has existed longer: as spec'ed the towers sit right on the lip between the raised frame of the roof and the lower part of the roof (i.e. the towers don't sit flat on the roof). It looks like it would work if they were either narrower or wider, I just need to figure out which one it's "supposed" to be.
    I don't think Thule supports the Clarity.

6. curtisdozier

curtisdozier New Member

This older thread has info about someone who used Thule landing pads with Yakima bars: https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/roof-rack-for-clarity.644/page-3
    Looks like he had holes drilled into his roof for them however. On the basis of those posts I think the Yakima baseline could work if you widen the spacing of the towers to sit them right on the raised area around the roof (see the post in that thread showing where the steel frame is.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. After consulting with REI Conshohocken I settled on a soft rack, the Yakima Easytop.

9. curtisdozier

curtisdozier New Member

OP has solved his issue but I wanted to update since I said before that I believed Yakima measurements for Baseline towers on Clarity were wrong. I tried a few other configurations (with the baseline towers directly on the frame, and with the towers directly on the roof), and neither worked: on the roof the clips couldn't reach the door opening and on the frame the clips were too long to tighten on the frame. So the measurements are "correct" but the placement of the towers IMO is still not optimal (they are half on the frame and half on the roof which is ~half inch lower than the frame: see photo, install not totally completed but it conveys the position of the towers). I have installed Yakima racks on my previous four cars and it does feel as solid as those did -- i.e. I can move the car by pulling on the rack without the rack slipping but it is still hard to believe that having the towers on an uneven "stepped" surface is as good as having them on a surface where they can have full contact. Maybe I'm being paranoid but it feels to me like Yakima settled with an existing clip and "good enough." As noted there aren't a lot of options for bikes on the roof.
    IMG_4341.JPG

Brooke likes this.
  10. curtisdozier

curtisdozier New Member

One last post in case others with the Clarity wondering about the Yakima roof rack for bicycles
    find this thread. I have now taken a ~7 hour driving trip, highway speeds, with 3 bikes on the roof (2 adult/1 kid) and no problems. We didn't have strong cross winds or anything so the rack wasn't subjected to severe conditions but it worked well.

IMG_4540.JPG

11. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Thanks for the update!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Abdul Ismail

Abdul Ismail New Member

Hey, can you get me started on this setup?

1. What roof rack would I need?
    2. Can you please send any and all links to and total cost?

14. curtisdozier

curtisdozier New Member

If you go to https://infolookup.yakima.com and put in your year/model, choose "Naked Roof" for the "Fit" and it will give you the list of equipment you need to put bars on your car.

Then you will also need "trays" or other roof mounts to attach the bikes to the bars. Yakima's are here: https://yakima.com/collections/roof-mounted-bike-racks I have the "high road" because the others require you to take off the front wheel and there isn't room for the wheel inside a Clarity unless your trunk is empty.

Other manufacturers' trays might be compatible but you'll need to do your own research on that. If you're starting from 0, just be aware a roof rack like this (towers, bars, trays, locks) is going to run close to $1000 once you get everything.

Good luck!

Brooke likes this.
  15. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

I had Thule racks with the feet for the Honda Accord (2007). They worked fine on the Clarity, with adjustments that the rack permitted. I carried multiple bikes, and many heavier things on the racks with no slippage. I got tired of lifting my bikes, so when I bought the Clarity off my lease I installed a hitch and a hitch rack.
    [I still have the racks, and would be willing to sell for a reasonable price if you reach out to [email protected].][If this sale offer is inappropriate for this forum, I apologize. I actually started the response before remembering that the racks were in my basement.]

16. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

17. Hi folks. New solution. Using the soft Yahama "rack" last year was noisy and too damaging with MPG. I spent way too much time researching and decided to try, ordered from Amazon AUXMART Universal Roof Rack Adjustable 48" Cross Bars Aluminum Cargo Carrier Rooftop Crossbars. It comes with three clamp ends that you need to mix and match. Once I figured out which ones would work I wrapped them in Gorilla tape to give more friction. I now have a rock-solid connection to the roof. If you have questions, shoot me a message.

18. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

I took the Thule racks off my 2007 Honda Accord, and they fit just fine. Solid as a rock, enough to carry my mountain bike on top of the car.

19. KeeFeeRe

KeeFeeRe New Member

IMG_20220702_140340_932.jpg IMG_20220702_135509_378.jpg IMG_20220702_135537_064.jpg IMG_20220702_135528_384.jpg IMG_20220702_135515_570.jpg I'm bought Thule Wingbar Evo for Honda Accord (sedan)(mkIX) 2012-2017 and it fit's perfectly!

turtleturtle likes this.