Why L2 charger is not charging correctly when is plug in first time ?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Mar 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

FFB89F6E-2B9C-4441-AE8B-A3D73748C66D.jpeg I post weeks ago i have issue charging SE was charging only with reduced power .I visit dealer and they said nothing wrong with a car.I try charged at public chargers 3times everything was correct .But those are 3face 240 v.commercial/ Residential 240v. Is 1 face connection make a really difference? All 32 amp. Than when I plug my L2charger car stop going to reduced charge stay on max. On his own was nothing done in between but I send email to BMW headquarters complain .But at time was like double .what accidentally I find out when I plug a car to my charger and check time of charge Is double than unplug again a time is change to what SE should be charged .60% first plug in 6 hr .unplug and connect agin 60 %to be charge is showing 3 hr. I set a charging correctly own I3 for 6 years. Loud click when you plug a car for charging is regular sound but could be something wrong with high voltage contactor / mechanical relay.I check my plug from charger looks like new , check voltage on 14-50 NEMA plug is 120v. On both legs .Panel is protect by double 40 amp. Breaker .Any idea from some forum members who so advance when I’m reading some post ? 800 miles on SE only and I can live with my charging patern bc I’m charging like every 2 weeks driving 3000 a year .I’m going to see different dealer but they are asking me to replicate what I’m experiencing with charging but they don’t have 14-50 NEMA to plug my charger ,sound like a joke .I’m going to do it anyway I retired I have a time . Car is a blast to drive if will be an ICE I never see any service to fix .

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

I’m not in the US but our smart charger at home is 240V single phase 32A and it charges the car from 10% to 100% in around 4.5 hours. The tyre phase public chargers here are usually rated around 22kW, but obviously the Mini can’t accept that so it’s limited to 10kW. I have only used one of these once using the type 2 cable which came with the car and it charged much slower than it does at home for some reason. I got a message saying it was charging at reduced power. I don’t know if it’s the cable which isn’t suitable to charge at a three phase AC EVSE or if it was a dodgy public charger. It’s not happened since but that may be because I usually charge on a 50kW DC charger or on my home EVSE. I’ve never tried another 22kW three phase public charger.
    Good luck with it, I hope you get your issue resolved.