Does the 22 Kona Fix issues that plagued prior years?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ForceEdge, Mar 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

Just wondering. I know there were many battery issues, 12v issues, gear noises and other things that kind of put me off on purchasing this car.

does the 2022 Kona use the same batteries as the 2019-2021? Any different parts?

Still looking for a fully electric and the Jonas the cheapest. I just want to be as sure as I can be that im not purchasing something with known issues I guess ‍♂️

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have a 2021 Ultimate, it is 1 year and 5 months old and 9000kms. I have had zero problems and I would buy it again.

4. The battery issues have been addressed since mid 2020 (see earlier threads for exact dates). 2022 should not have any battery issues.
    If you purchase a used (pre April 2020) Kona EV, then make sure problems like - recalled water pumps, battery check -(and or replacement) have been dealt with.
    The drive chain has not changed although there was some mention of revised motor part#s. I would try to remember to change the oil in or just after the first year (even on a 2022 facelift model) as the gearbox will likely run quieter and last a lot longer performing this inexpensive preventative maintenance.;)

HyperSmiler, navguy12 and Seadog1272 like this.
  5. rpark

rpark Member

At least in Canada the 2022 uses 12v Pb batteries which work better in the cold.

Attached Files:

electriceddy likes this.
  6. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

Thank you guys for shedding some light on it. Just want to be sure before even looking into the 22 model.

I also see the 22 is a few thousand cheaper than the 21 model.. strange don’t you think?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Not surprising that the price dropped, if it did (I haven't compared). The Kona is older and less advanced than the newer EVs from Hyundai and Kia, and the recalls probably dented its reputation a bit. It's still a great little car but not as cutting-edge as it was 3 years ago. FYI, mine's a 2020 -- just missed the battery recall -- and I love it.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Personally, I am not as "cutting edge" (add a zero to that years ago number) either, but I do share in the sentiment owning Kona EV and the enjoyment it brings driving.
    As a bonus, it's cost effective to own/drive and maintain:)

Seadog1272 and Bruce M. like this.
  10. Together with the newer VCULDC software, that should improve the operation of the 12V system.
    My guess is Hyundai got tired of changing the 12V batteries under warranty, and finally decided to improve things:)

11. The 39 kWh (as opposed to 64 kWh) model is now the low price leader here, plus they removed the heat pump on the lower spec versions of both.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KonaDave

KonaDave New Member

I have a 2019, which was affected by the battery recall(s) and all of that stuff ... max charge was limited at 80% (for sometime), etc. Anyway, all of that is now behind and am able to charge back too 100%. I have had no issues whatsoever with my Kona EV; although if you want to call it one ... the seatbelts where they enter the side column on each side ... sometimes when driving I may hear a very slight 'rattle' noise from that area. I watched a YouTube video of someone with the exact same noise; in the UK. They took it to the dealer and they did something to quiet the 'rattle'. For me it isn't that annoying. Maybe someday I'll remove the side column covers and quiet it myself. However, I haven't heard it in a while. Other than that I tell everyone I talk to about my Kona ... I'm definitely a proponent for EVs. My wife and I both love our Kona!!

14. Sometimes I wonder if reading forums like this makes one think there are more problems than there are for a given EV, since this is where people go when they have a problem.
    I have a 2019 Kona Electric and have had zero problems after 20,000 km. Accept for the main battery which will be replaced next month.
    But I haven't had a problem with that either and know that it is being replaced out of an abundance of caution.
    Maybe I'm just lucky?
    This car is amazing. It has all the power I would ever need. Who needs 0-60 in 3.5 secs? It's very comfortable and feels solid.
    A heat pump is worth the extra expense if it doesn't come with one. The extra efficiency in heating and cooling saves more for driving distance.

15. larsamike

larsamike New Member

Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
    Having long been a Hyundai fan...when their electric ioniq came out, I was stoked to get one. Bought a 2017 used....and man that car was a piece of doodoo.
    I had traded in a 13 leaf for it....and within a month ,totally regretted that big time.
    Even though the early model leaf didn't have the range...it was simply a far superior car that was designed to be electric. Not some first attempt bastardization on an ice platform.
    That Hyundai had bad steering..bad brakes..bad electronic interlocks and generally just bad software and engineering design.
    So when the battery fire recalls came up...I cut my losses and traded up to an 18 leaf..and was never happier to see that ioniq go...and drive a car that was actually an electric car.

The konas aren't much better than the ioniq.
    I can't speak on the newer kias or ioniq 5.
    Which are supposed to be designed as a bespoke EVs.
    But I've completely lost faith in Hyundai.
    And won't be buying another of their cars.

Until I can afford a Tesla...it's Nissan leafs for me.

16. Kona57

Kona57 New Member

I have a 2022 Kona EV (Surf Blue) with 1800 or so miles and it has been a dream. No battery issues. Only charge it at home and it seems to use very little power as my bill has not gone up noticeably. I do charge on off peak hours. My only knock is the road noise compared to my last car a Porsche Macan but it is no issue as I usually have my XM radio cranked up pretty good!

Seadog1272 likes this.
  17. Karl C.

Karl C. New Member

18. Karl C.

Karl C. New Member

I purchased a 2019 Kona electric here in Colorado and after 20k I love it. I had a Leaf for 7 years prior to that and it served me well but the battery was down to 70 miles per charge. The Kona was recalled for a battery replacement and taken care of quickly. Honestly, my first battery was performing perfectly. I get over 300 miles per charge and couldn’t be happier. A great car.

Seadog1272 and electriceddy like this.
  19. livingthecadream

livingthecadream New Member

I would avoid Hyundai. We have a 2021 Kona with the battery issue. We purchased it new, and the battery died around 3K. We have a lemon law, but Hyundai has been extremally dishonest. They worked out an agreement (their own wording and terms), then refused to honor it. We are at 8 months with dealing with this issue, all the while having to continue to pay insurance and payments on a car we cannot use. I am telling everyone I know about our experience.

20. Stephen Freeland

Stephen Freeland New Member

But just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly -- you don't have any direct experience with the Kona, you're extrapolating from the Ioniq. Have I got that right?

21. Marc Chaton

Marc Chaton New Member

Have a 2020 with 16k miles and have had no problems with it. Had the battery recall, but that was resolved last year with a swap out of the batteries. Have a noise now when doors lock. Dealer ordered a rear door assembly and will be replaced under warranty. Love this car!

electriceddy likes this.
  22. Loc Quan

Loc Quan New Member

I have a 2019 Kona. The car will be officially 3 years old in July 2022. It currently has 45,000 miles. The traction battery seems to be working fine; I have not yet lost any bar. I will contact my dealership to see if I can get a traction battery swap. Getting a new battery is like getting a new car. It is ashamed to let go of the old one when it is still good. I know that the dealership will not automatically swap the battery when you bring in the car. They have to check the serial number to see if it is within the recall list. They also test the battery pack overnight to track down potential bad cells. Only then, they will replace your battery. I have been waiting to get the most out of my current battery. I have been taking very good care of my battery by charging on Level 2 only and keep it between 30% and 80%. When at 100%, I usually get 310 and 324 miles. I'd only test the max range twice (310 and 324).

The 12V battery on the other hand is a pain. I had to replace it at 40,000 miles out of warranty for 126USD. It lasted 2.5 yrs. The 12V charger on the Kona is not very good. I used to give it additional charge using my garage charger. I had been lazy for the last 2yrs and not supplementing it with my garage charger; that was why the battery died early. A small battery like this should last at least 3yrs. The larger they are, the longer they last. I was looking at the 12V Ohmmu Lithium Ion battery, but they don't have one that fit in the Kona without me doing some reconfiguration of the mounting bracket. Tesla 12V batteries were having the same issue of dying around 2.5yrs. For the 2022 models, Tesla is using 12V Lithium Ion similar to Ohmmu. Ohmmu is $450.

And do change the gearbox oil around 10,000 miles. It drives quieter and smoother. I changed my mine with Redline Synthetic after 6 months. What a big difference. Don't use the crappy oil from Hyundai. Changing the gearbox oil is easier than changing engine oil of ICE car.

electriceddy likes this.
  23. First report of an actuator failure, I wonder if water got in.
    FWIW I did change my door lock settings to help avoid undo wear and tear;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022