I'm going to get a ticket...

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by ghost, Feb 21, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ghost

ghost Active Member

... soon. Tonight I was driving home, took the exit one before my normal so I could drive the roundabout. There was a tall SUV behind me, but nobody in front.

I slowed down on the off ramp, flew around the roundabout and the S turn out of it (so fun!), then slowed down to the speed limit on the way down a short hill to the next stop light.

While I was slowing down, the SUV, which was REALLY far behind me coming out of the roundabout, floored it down the hill to catch up to me. At that moment, I knew something wasn't right.

I signaled to turn left as I slowed to the red light. The SUV shined a spotlight on me. I thought to myself that it was almost improbable that it would be a highway patrol right behind me on the off ramp, AND in a big SUV.

He pulled up in the lane to my right, looked at me, and as I started to wave to acknowledge my mistake, he turned right and sped off.

I was already telling myself the explanation that I was going to give him: the truth (this car turns like it's on rails, and I can't resist when nobody is in front of me).

Not sure how much longer my luck is going to last.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

"But officer, I don't believe there is a speed-limit sign for that roundabout!"

upload_2022-2-21_1-0-1.png

GetOffYourGas, wessy, Lainey and 5 others like this.
  4. Love this @insightman! Can I borrow the graphic and can I share it to my local FB group of SE owners here?

5. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Definitely a police officer, or just some numbnut jacking with you?

6. ghost

ghost Active Member

Highway patrol. Weird that he was in an SUV.

Akanaten likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

Thanks! Anything I post here is fair-game for anyone to copy and share--especially with more MINI Cooper owners. I just PM'd you the high-res 10" x 7.5" file of that sign I made to display at Drive Electric Week events.

9. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

In California the highway patrol uses SUV's as well as some local departments.

10. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Roundabouts are a tremendous waste of real estate, and about the only remaining fun a Mini driver can find. It's a love/hate relationship.

11. ghost

ghost Active Member

I much prefer a roundabout to a 4-way stop, especially now that I have an SE.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Spoken like a true SE owner!

14. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

I purchased my SE due to the 7 roundabouts I went through on my test drive. :cool:

I do find myself using the speed limit button on the steering wheel a lot. Without transmission noise or liquid fueled explosions under the hood, it’s not easy to tell your speed without looking down.

MichaelC likes this.
  15. insightman

The only time I look down is to check my battery charge %. My HUD shows the speed limit and my speed, which is all the info I want when hooning around town. Unfortunately, knowing the speed limit and my speed won't be enough to save me from a speeding ticket, but it will keep it from being a surprise.

wessy and azausa like this.
  16. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

E385AB82-8BF8-49EA-BF28-E7ABC21C9B5C.png B99D8C81-9DE9-4176-B25D-668EFF5ACBE2.png I love roundabouts in the SE too. East Kilbride is a town about 4 miles from home which is well known for having many roundabouts in it. I couldn’t get them all in one screenshot, so here’s two. The top image is a 50mph road, and the bottom image is just off the top of the first screenshot and is a 30mph road. Whenever I go for a ride on the bike I usually go through this town and it’s been great in the SE too.

17. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

When I get to a roundabout and there is no other traffic, I always take an extra lap. Or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

wessy, MichaelC, ghost and 2 others like this.
  18. insightman

I don't have as much fun at roundabouts with my winter tires, but it's March so it won't be long before I'm again bounding about roundabouts the way my MINI was intended to bound.

wessy and MichaelC like this.
  19. ghost

ghost Active Member

Haha, it's definitely not just me.

I realized that there's no speed limit posted through the roundabout, so maybe I wasn't breaking any laws. The speed limit out of it is 35 mph, so I guess I can fly around it at 35.

GetOffYourGas and wessy like this.
  20. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Forget the Moose Test, who's doing formal roundabout tests?

insightman and MichaelC like this.
  21. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

If you don't go all the way around it at least once, is it really a roundabout?

wessy likes this.
  22. Chicago Ken

Chicago Ken New Member

Funny

23. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That's a good idea for multi lane roundabouts when you are in the inner lane and needed to be in the outer for the 1st exit.