Delivery Spreadsheet - Let's Track These Inbound SEs

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, Jul 27, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

I swore I would never buy an extended warranty after I got if for my last car. Then a cylinder lining cracked after 4 years and they replaced with OEM engine for $22k. I know the EVs have far fewer failure points and the battery has a great warranty, but I too went for the offered extended warranty, same price as yours but it was for the lifetime of the vehicle up to 80k miles, which will take me a lifetime to reach. If you plan to keep your car beyond the 3 year warranty I would say the price is worth the piece of mind. Especially considering the price of these things after incentives. No regrets, Dotori!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I had no trouble declining the extended warranty offered at double the price you paid. $2K isn't a lot--the resistive heater costs more than $1K by itself. I bet the infotainment unit is expensive, too. The problem with canceling is the regret you'll experience if something expensive fails down the road.

drdunkyn likes this.
  4. wessy

wessy Active Member

I like the idea of extended warranties but not their typically exorbitant costs, so I’ve never bought one, and I would be even less inclined to spring for one on an EV with its less complex drivetrain. But British and German cars generally do not have the industry’s best records for reliability and tend to be pricier to repair — even for faults unrelated to drivetrain issues — and $2K strikes me as a pretty darn reasonable amount for a warranty that runs to 7 years/84K miles.

So I certainly wouldn’t try to talk you out of it. As others have said, that’s not a crazy amount of money for the peace of mind it would probably bring!

For a couple of ICE cars I’ve owned, FWIW, I added what GEICO calls “mechanical breakdown insurance” to my car insurance policy. It was a fraction of the cost of a typical extended warranty (in the neighborhood of $75/year, I believe, although I think the copay for a claim was high at ~$250), and I viewed it as a kind of a “pay as you go” extended warranty — so instead of paying out the entire cost of a typical extended warranty up front, you only make “subscription”-style payments for as long as you own the car.

(The only downside is that the coverage is only available on a new car, so you’re paying for a redundant warranty you won’t use while your car is under its factory warranty — but GEICO lets you sign up for the coverage as long as you do so within your first year of ownership and before you have 12,000 miles on your car, so I waited as long as I could before starting coverage to save $$.)

I never had reason to file a claim so I can’t vouch for what that crucial experience with their coverage is like. But you or others might want to see if your car insurance company offers similar coverage as a potentially lower-cost option to a traditional extended warranty.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The SE batteries have a 100,000 mile warranty, so I passed on the extended warranty. Compared to an ICE car I'll be more than happy to pay out of pocket for anything that's needed once the regular warranty ends, if I keep the (first-generation) SE that long. My experience with MINIs is there have been basically three things that need repair/replacement: oil leaks, timing chain, spark plugs/wires. None of those apply to the SE.

6. MmeLeota

MmeLeota New Member

I almost bought a car from Steven’s Creek and they gave me the run around. It wasn’t until I told them that I wasn’t interested and placed an order for the 2023 with a different dealer that they actually tried to sell the car. It was awful and I hope your experience was better than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Ketos and idiot85 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

I had a much better experience at Stevens Creek MINI. No upsells, no drama. Perhaps I had a better salesperson, he made the entire buying process pretty painless.

Sorry your experience was so negative.

Ketos likes this.
  9. h-dogg

h-dogg Member

Oh that's a bummer...I hope I don't have that experience when I pick my car up. So far, communication is a bit flaky. It seems the salesperson doesn't respond to my emails and sometimes return my calls..

10. dotori

dotori Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. In the end I guess 2k over a 5 year loan isn’t crazy but I’m just not sure how long I’ll have the car anymore. Will definitely check out the mechanical breakdown insurance. But like most of you guys being an electrical car, I wonder how much can actually go wrong.

don’t have any full body pics yet but wanted to show you guys the loop spoke wheels with plastidip. These are the ones I got for free with tires and were in pretty good condition but I wanted black rims. So I just dipped them to see how they’ll look and needed the all seasons on those wheels.

0B173F18-CD97-4E32-88E0-C11E40D377A1.jpeg ABE97946-4988-44C7-83D8-A5F2E40FEB7B.jpeg

Also, I know black is such a terrible color to maintain but should I complain about scratches all over the hood and the triangle piece under the spoiler?

8FCA3721-7131-4054-92EA-A3D563D74E7F.jpeg E806011C-AE9D-4952-BAA0-710F263D1168.jpeg

11. Ketos

Ketos Member

I'm sorry for your experience. I put down money for a reservation for a 2023 in late January when I finally was able to test drive it in Concord. I selected Stevens Creek MINI because it is close to me. I expected to wait at least six months. I called Stevens Creek MINI a few time to check on 2022 inventory. Then out of blue, I got a call last week that they received three SE models that were available. Needless to say I jump on it. It took them a few day to get the car ready for delivery but I was treated very well. I paid the MSRP for it. I feel so lucky I didn't try to buy it from the Sacramento dealer who wanted $3k over MSRP last month.

h-dogg and idiot85 like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

It's really up to you. The hood and black plastic can be machine polished out but you either have to have the equipment or pay for the detailing.

14. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

Pretty sure this is a salesperson-specific issue. East Bay BMW stopped selling MINI, so went to Concord (I'm in San Ramon), so not a big deal. My guy at Concord got me a test drive and shoe-horned me into a canceled order so had my car in a couple months. I complained about my "first world problems" of communication on delivery updates, but in the end they were excellent, and so was he. Really liked my experience with Concord, but I think if you have an MA that sucks your experience will suck. Also, expect scratches with Black -- it just comes with the choice! I love silver, and the moonwalk fit the bill, but am worried about the black trim. If it's like my wife's HyHi it might drive me crazy at first, but then I'll get over it. Just like any other obviously predictable thing with black on a car. Just enjoy it!!

Ketos and teslarati97 like this.
  15. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

GvilleGuy likes this.
  16. sousvide

sousvide Member

Picked up my Mini SE last night! I seem to have an issue with the rear view camera options: contrast, brightness and parking lines. They are all non selectable, I'll have to email my sales guy later today.

wessy, Denise C, h-dogg and 1 other person like this.
  17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Congrats on getting your MINI SE!

If you didn't see this post, @Vinnie writes that his dealer told him:

GvilleGuy likes this.
  18. methorian

Has anyone with an order/reservation in for a 2023 got a production number or timeline information from their dealer?

I've e-mailed my dealer twice without response in the past two weeks, was going to give them a call today. They had originally said my reservation would go in with 7-8 other orders at the end of February for a March build and April-May delivery.

With the recent Oxford plant shutdown and continuing chip shortages I'm feeling like things will get pushed back quite a bit. I'm just hoping to get a feel for where things stand with 2023 orders and all.

19. anshulankush

anshulankush New Member

I placed an order yesterday. MA says it could take a month for production number to arrive. I am suspecting, they don't have allocation.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  20. methorian

I've heard conflicting info on allocations for the SE. Some claim that they don't go through normal dealership allocations so long as you place a reservation through mini.com. (Apparently the reservations are more national, and Mini automatically goes down the reservation list?)

Either way I was told end of Feb for order going through to Mini, so I'm waiting on a call back today to see.

21. methorian

Finally spoke to my dealership today and got a production number for my 2023 order. He claimed it still showed a March build, but obviously things are delayed and we should expect that to be pushed out. Happy to have something added to tracking in Mini Garage though!

I really wish I could get in touch with someone who has their info on the spreadsheet (they seem to be same dealer/timeframe ordering), but their name on the sheet doesn't seem to be a user here, anyone else experience this?

22. MmeLeota

MmeLeota New Member

Is it green? Lol. I’m happy you were able to get it, I was flying in from SoCal and was willing to buy blindly and they were just awful to deal with. The sales person knew nothing about the SE model, I had to do my own research, thank god there’s YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

23. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

There are a couple of us who have 2023's on order from Alexandria. I put in my deposit just when they stopped accepting orders for 2022's and got my production number last week (only after I asked for it, my build sheet had a blank production number).