Associating Carplay/Iphone with driver profile

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Quiet Mini, Feb 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

How do you associate a phone to a driver profile? Generally when I use my key and my wife uses hers, our SE sets the correct driver profile. However the Carplay connected phone seems to be the one that was connected on the previous drive regardless of the driver profile. How can I set my phone to my key and hers to hers? This is annoying when both phones are in the car at the same time.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

Welcome to the reason CarPlay is the #1 complaint on new cars… it’s got its pitfalls.

polyphonic likes this.
  4. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

I don't believe you can associate Carplay/phones with driver profiles. You couldn't on the i3 at least.

I believe you can set a preferred phone, but it never worked well in my i3, it always seemed to want to connect to the last used phone.

What I did was set one of the fav keys to the connected phone settings page so that I could quickly access it and select my phone for Carplay.

5. Quiet Mini

I would not consider it a CarPlay bug. It is an integration bug because I suspect if we simply connected Bluetooth and not CarPlay, it might still select the wrong phone. Although I have not tried this to verify.

SpeedyRS likes this.
  6. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

The only solution is to buy a second SE.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

This is a ridiculous comment. How many complaints are here about MINIs? Road noise? Car noise? Low battery life? Poor colors? This fantastic car and almost nothing regarding CarPlay. I personally wouldn't buy a car without it. Multiple great maps apps, you don't need a subscription, you can transcribe to things without looking at your phone. The only reason I can think of for someone to say something so ridiculous is that you're using Android, and CarPlay doesn't support it. :eek:

AndysComputer likes this.
  9. Quiet Mini

What an excellent idea with the side benefit of doubling your range!

10. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

Agreed...I use CarPlay every time I drive my SE and am extremely happy with it.

11. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

CarPlay is awesome.
    Failing to do the primary vs other phone correctly for the key/driver is a BMW problem not an Apple one.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I just gave up as an Android user. Should have just bought a rotary phone for my car.

ba9310d622674a7c7d4418b22edb42a5phone.jpg

GetOffYourGas, wessy and azausa like this.
  14. sousvide

sousvide Member

Is there a way to see the turn by turn listing while driving in Google Maps or Apple Maps in CarPlay?

I see this in the split screen of the Mini Navigation and loved this feature in the Tesla Navigation. It's especially useful in quick changing routes.

[​IMG]

15. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

In the Mini we have the CarPlay Apple map on the screen and the turn by turn listing on the phone in a bracket next to it.
    We find that useful so when it says turn left for example, or take the exit, we know which lane to be in for the turn that follows…

drdunkyn likes this.
  16. Urbanengineer

so I have many friends that work at OEM’s and CarPlay is a huge point of issue for them. They can’t fix the issues CarPlay has. Yes BMW is not great about tying CarPlay to the key, but the other connectivity problems of CarPlay BMW has no control over.

polyphonic likes this.
  17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical of this. CarPlay is a remote display, input controls, and audio while the iPhone is doing all the work. The interface is pretty well-defined.

18. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

The last 4 cars I've owned have had CarPlay. I must be an EV luddite because I really don't care for it. It's a bit too fiddly for my taste. I like to get in and just drive.

wessy and insightman like this.
  19. drdunkyn

Luddite or not, the statement that CarPlay is "the #1 complaint on new cars" is ludicrous hyperbole. I have no problem with personal opinions about features or devices. If someone hates CarPlay, or the SE, or Apple products, or Putin, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's just this isn't about EVs, it's about the integration of a phone with a car. There's literally nothing to fiddle with, you get in, start your car, CarPlay connects wirelessly and does what you've told it to do. I appreciate your experience, and would be interested to hear what is too fiddly for you. Sometimes there are changes that can be easily overlooked that make the experience better! I've frequently whined about something only to be pointed in the right direction to change my mind! It just sounds like urbanengineer is providing 2nd hand experience without specifics and it would be nice to clarify what they're talking about.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  20. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

First hand experience, four cars, multiple phones. I've had to troubleshoot the connection quite a number of times.

I prefer to use my phone in a dock. Less visual distraction too. Just a personal preference.

21. drdunkyn

My apologies, I noted the wrong person, I meant urbanengineer (fixed). I’ve never had connection issues myself, unless my phone was sitting out in the sun overheating. This has been using BMW, Toyota, and the SE. Was this with other car makes?

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

polyphonic likes this.
  22. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

No problems for me. I drove a Mazda for 5 years and it never screwed up one time! In my SE since November, I connected at the dealer and it has worked perfectly. As puppethead stated CarPlay just puts the phone display and controls on the car otherwise your phone does all the work.

As for OEM's having issues, I suspect they are not following Apple's guidelines to the letter. Many OEM's try to get by with cheaper components but CarPlay is pretty solid at this point.

23. Urbanengineer

CarPlay is great for us, one phone is connected to it. I just usb plug in to it only. There are times when we first got the car it didn’t show up on the menus oddly, but a disable and re-enable fixed it. Could’ve been phone side or not, but people call BMW to complain, not their cell phone provider.
    Apple CarPlay is great. They really gotta offer android auto for the other half of consumers lol.