Mike's wife's monthly Kona EV efficiency report

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by navguy12, Aug 30, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I am sorry to say but a very large percentage of the American car (truck?) buying public simply would not understand this chart. Never mind clever manipulation of the truth. The only thing they get is money $$$$.
    Hopefully the electric F150 at ~$30,000 will help.

navguy12 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I should have said at ~$40,000. Now GM is also in the game, same starting price promised. Good for the track guys. https://chargedevs.com/newswire/2024-chevrolet-silverado-ev-faces-off-against-2022-ford-f-150-lightning/

I get it that if you own a business you need a truck, but just to show up with the biggest brute in the hood, used for picking up milk for the baby? I guess I will never get the American dream.

navguy12, OzKona and electriceddy like this.
  4. That might cover the dealer mark up above MSRP:rolleyes:

navguy12 likes this.
  5. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

A.k.a. “Bro-dozers”.

And all those “starting from” prices are not for the ranges being quoted…and of course the dealer markups currently plaguing Ford Mach-E (and Mercedes Benz) potential customers.

6. navguy12

Jan 2022 results:

jan2022 raw data.JPG

jan2022 real upload data.JPG
    jan2022 odometer.jpg
    jan2022 in line meter.jpg

Summary costs as of 31 Jan 2022:

jan2022 summary.JPG

Total operating costs, per km (total costs minus capex costs):

$6.5025 - $5.9939 = $0.5086/km

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. navguy12

Feb 2022 results:

feb2022 raw data.png

feb2022 real upload data.png

feb2022 odometer.jpg

No photo available of in line meter used at charging destination mid-month.

feb2022 in line meter.jpg

Summary costs as of 28 Feb 2022:

feb2022 summary.png

$5.9812 - $5.5038 = $0.4774/km

9. $275 for a month is pretty good. We need an app for this stuff like Fuelly has.

10. navguy12

I believe the $275 you are referring to is the total amount spent on electricity since day one.

All those figures on that summary page are since day one.

Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  11. Thats even better!

navguy12 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. navguy12

Mar 2022 results:

mar2022 raw data.png

mar2022 real upload data.png

mar2022 odometer.jpg
    mar2022 in line meter.jpg
    Summary costs as of 31 Mar 2022:

mar2022 summary.png

$5.8061 - $5.3416 = $0.4645/km

Rob Fitzgerald, Lars and HyperSmiler like this.
  14. I am taking a slightly different view of cost to drive - ignoring capex. I am generally driving in NORMAL mode but switched to ECO to reduce torque steer, slips in the winter. Hope the attachment works out. Note that I have reduced the Heat to 20C from 22C to get a bit more distance. Kona 2022.png

I found out that one can save the image as a png file and open it and enlarge it. Hope it helps. ;) Going back to Normal mode now. I enjoy the bit of extra pep.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    Rob Fitzgerald and electriceddy like this.
  15. Here is my 2021 year end summary.

Cost to Drive 2021 Summary.png

Rob Fitzgerald and electriceddy like this.
  16. Nice... like to see some of those #s in the summer months. Probably closer to $0.0125/ km;)

Kirk and navguy12 like this.
  17. navguy12

Cool. Glad to see I’m not the only spreadsheet nerd. ;)

My only observations: how do you meter (establish) the actual amount of energy pulled from the grid to fill your car; and how do you settle on the cost of that energy?

18. See if this works.
    Kona 2021 Q3.png
    As you see the DCFC charging raises the cost quite bit. Still peanuts compared to gas. I calculated the cost of driving an 'average' car with 8l/100km and a RAV4 at 10l/100km for my 2021 year 17,550km. Using $1.39 per litre for gas. You guys do the math! :eek:

electriceddy and navguy12 like this.
  19. No. I use 5.7kw (30A source) shown on the car as absorbed power. So what, this is not intended to be rocket fuel calculation.

20. navguy12

Perhaps I can explain it differently. I am wondering if you account for the energy (not power) pulled from the grid?

In the case of my wife’s Kona EV, the “lifetime” difference between what the car’s instruments say was uploaded and what the grid pushed into the car is 20% (with March 2022 working out to 25%).

If your energy data is based only on what the car says was uploaded (kWh/100 km on the odometer), then to arrive at an accurate energy cost per km, you have to account for the actual energy you bought from your local hydro company.

Using my March 2022 data as an example, we drew 62 kWh from the grid to propel the car 300 kms. At $0.1641 per kWh (net, all fees, tiered rate), the actual cost was $10.17.

For March 2022, the car says it used 16.5 kWh/100 km to travel the 300 km, for an implied use of 49.5 kWh, or an implied cost of only $8.12.

Via the car’s information, the cost of energy per km was $0.27 per km.

Via my actual spend on energy (that fed the circuit for the car charger), the cost of energy per km was actually $0.034 per km.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    electriceddy likes this.
  21. I get it and you are technically correct. But I have no easy means to meter the true energy the car absorbs from the net when charging. I am not trying to make proper, accurate analysis. Let's say I 'ballpark' it. The difference in fuel cost between driving our Kona and our previous Prius (4l/100hm), never mind any other ICE, is so huge that it tells a clear story. Even if I am 20% off, which I doubt, it is still far cheaper to drive electric.

navguy12 likes this.
  22. navguy12

Agreed.

My wife can drive about 50 kms for the same cost as one litre of gasoline, so I tell folks the implied “fuel economy” is about 2 litres per 100 kms.

23. I came to the same conclusion. As the price of gas keeps going up it is getting even less than 2 litres. :D There are issues which will need to be addressed at some point, like EV drivers don't pay road taxes collected at the gas pumps to fix pot holes. But the Ont. Govt. is so eager to be reelected, does not worry about pot holes. Actually they are repaying some 'pot hole taxes', collected already for license plate stickers. :eek:
    So let's not try to explain to their kind the 20% difference between your calculations and mine. :(

Rob Fitzgerald and navguy12 like this.