2023 mini without its camouflage

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by teddybare, Dec 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. teddybare

teddybare Member

im kinda liking it....:) MINI Hatch leaks-2.jpg MINI Hatch leaks.jpg

Akanaten, F14Scott, wessy and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teddybare

teddybare Member

i know someone on here is going to be very happy with the hood scoop delete ;)

F14Scott, wessy, insightman and 2 others like this.
  4. MustangMan

MustangMan New Member

If the HUD is also the screen for speed charge and the like...then maybe. Pushing all the info to the center screen will be a pain, that is the complaint of many a Tesla 3 and Y owner. The rear is not bad but not great. The front is OK and if that is the EV then no hood scoop is fine (did that even work on the ICE version). There are a lot of what look like sensors or cameras so could autonomous driving be in the mix??

5. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

Yes that central dot above the space for a number plate looks like a camera as it looks very similar to the one that was on the nose of my X6. No autonomous driving on that but really useful in the X6 when nosing out of blind T junctions. Also combined with other cameras in the mirrors and the boot for a 360 view of the car. Maybe the new MINI has that feature?

MustangMan likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. wessy

wessy Active Member

Gabe Bridger of MotoringFile is confident that what we’re seeing in these photos is the next SE built by Great Wall based on their Ora Cat, not the next petrol-powered Cooper — keeping in mind that they’ll be two distinct hatchback models, the smaller electric one sourced from China, the conventional ICE one continuing to be built at Plant Oxford.

I think it’s stunning. With the exception of MINI persisting in its use of a poor man’s HUD instead of a proper windshield-projected one, I love everything about it — the minimalism overall, the more aero front end, that fantastic evolution of the taillights/rear end, the larger moonroof, and that vastly more modern leather-free interior with its inventive use of materials (looks like tweed on the dash, and what’s that intriguing strap?) and that wonderfully sleek update of the classic circular center-mounted display.

I love this design direction for MINI in general, and I can’t wait to see more!

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I actually really like the separate-display HUD, it's much easier to view than looking at the sloped windshield.

As for the exterior, the front looks great. Not only no faux scoop, also no pointless power bump. Notice the air curtain slits are missing.

I'm not sure about the back. The hips seem a little wide, but maybe that's a camera lens distortion. And the angular tail lights really look out of place with the rest of the design elements. Also, to my eyes it looks like the tail lights are integrated into the hatch door, which would be very interesting.

9. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

At least some of the "features" on the dash appear to me to just be a reflection from the ground outside the vehicle. An "oh, crap!" handle on the dash would indeed be intriguing, though. :)

10. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Good thing I have the 2022. Those taillights would take a long time to get used to, and longer to love.

As for the hood scoop - my 2003 hood scoop was functional, feeding the supercharger.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

I thought the moonroof looked smaller on this than the current model. The roof looks smaller overall to me.

I also think the tail lights will be in the hatch just like the Audi Q5. It would be too weird a shape otherwise. I’m not a fan of the lights but since the union flag rear lights are the design feature I dislike most about my incoming SE I’m glad they appear to be moving away from them. Way too Brexit-y for a remain voting Scotsman!

The interior looks to me to be similar in style to the i3. Lots of different materials and a very minimal dash with the small display in front of the driver and a larger info display in the centre. The seat shape looks a bit dull and flat for a Cooper S. Might just be the test mule though. It’ll be interesting to see proper photos when they launch it officially.

13. CuriousGeorge

In the US, the taillights can't be on the hatch.

14. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

The rule just says they have to be visible when the tailgate is open... I believe some cars with the lights on the hatch (like the i3) get around this with a 2nd set of lights for when the tailgate is open

insightman, CuriousGeorge and wessy like this.
  15. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

Well, i think that one conclusion any of us can make is that it turned a “premium” Mini into a budget Mini. Which unlike the new Fiat 500e which actually enhanced it’s value.

16. CuriousGeorge

What makes you describe the new version as a "budget" Mini? The relative simplicity of the interior? That's just the current design trend, at least on EVs, no?

17. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

It is base on a budget Chinese car. And it’s not made in Oxford, let alone remotely European.

Cindy B likes this.
  18. CuriousGeorge

Personally, I don't care where it might be made or what it is based on. All that matters to me is how it functions/looks/feels.

MichaelC and wessy like this.
  19. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

Designed by BMW and built in China implies to me it will be a premium product at a lower price point. Chinese manufacturing has shown it can produce high quality products when quality is emphasized over price. The cars tagged for export will be built to European standards.

All that being said, I would avoid buying one the first year.

Cindy B and wessy like this.
  20. wessy

wessy Active Member

That’s my take on it, too.

FWIW, this recent Autoblog article about how Toyota is partnering with Chinese EV leaders helped to reassure me about BMW’s partnership with Great Wall on the next SE.

21. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

iPhone is built in China, it's certainly a high-quality product.

SpeedyRS likes this.
  22. MustangMan

MustangMan New Member

Hmmm if it is a smaller car then the current model (F56 I think) it will never make it to the U.S. (sadness) as very small cars don't sell/ get sold all that well here. Or so it seems and between MINI and the FIAT cinquecento (500) the market seems covered for the size. Now as EV's in that size in the US go, well the Mini is all there is. And thankfully I was able to find one that got rejected by the ordering party woo hoo!

itselectricmini and Cindy B like this.