Did you get the battery replaced?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ColoradoKonaEV, Oct 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Clint

Clint New Member

I am still with my original battery.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'm so sorry to hear about everyone's ongoing problems with the Kona. I absolutely loved my car, smiled every time I went to drive. I was one of the lucky ones who got a buyback. I did consider another Kona EV, but my son convinced to go with a Model 3. To anyone out there who is lucky enough to get a buyback, and still want an EV, I would strongly suggest the entry level Model 3, which is about the same price as the higher end Kona (even with the recent price increases). Best car by far that I've ever had and the charging network is fantastic. I just realized I have to change my profile image :)

ehatch and Domenick like this.
  4. livingthecadream

livingthecadream New Member

We are in CA, too. Ours has been there since July. Hyundai had no ETA (told me they had no idea). I said if it was going to be more than a month, then they needed to buy it back (check out the CA lemon law). They then ghosted me for weeks. We got a lemon law lawyer. They responded within a week.

HepKona likes this.
  5. mmalc Crawford

mmalc Crawford New Member

I didn't get a buy-back, but between the battery situation and other personal issues I decided to trade mine in even though at a non-trivial loss. I got an ID.4, and am extremely happy that I did.

Frank Pierson`, HepKona and Domenick like this.
  6. livingthecadream

livingthecadream New Member

Ours was there since July. They told me that there was no ETA (had no idea). I told them if it was going to be more than a month, that they needed to buy it back (see CA lemon law). They ghosted me for weeks. I got a lemon law lawyer. We got a response within a week.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It seems I lucked out, somehow. When I'd heard Hyundai was buying Electrics back, I called Hyundai North America and was told to expect a call within 2 weeks with details. When the call came, the message was that the buyback program had ended and battery replacements were ramping up. The caller told me to go to a particular dealership here in Salt Lake City and talk to the service manager about the job. I did, and the service manager (who knew about the replacement program) assigned one of his assistants to take care of me. That person told me he contacted Hyundai to order my replacement the next day and had gotten conformation of the request. A month or so later he wrote to tell me they would be receiving two new battery sets either that day or the next, but he wouldn't know for sure if one was for me until they received them. Sure enough, one was mine and he scheduled me for an appointment that week. I'd already been told the process takes 3 days, so I knew I'd be without it for a short time. I was leaving town the day before I'd been told it absolutely would be ready for pickup, but that morning received and email telling me the work was done. I went, picked up the car, and drove it home - all done and working 100%.

Pretty much all of what I experienced benefitted from consistent coordination from Hyundai North America. Try reaching out to them for help.

Marc Chaton and Domenick like this.
  9. I called the dealership yesterday and got the same response - batteries are backordered and there is no ETA. I asked if I can get the car back until they receive a battery and to my surprise the answer was Yes. So, I returned the loaner and got the Kona back. I am planning on charging it to 90% Max while waiting for the battery replacement.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

10. Ace's Mom

Ace's Mom New Member

11. Ace's Mom

Ace's Mom New Member

I must admit I am getting a bit annoyed at this forum. Most posts are negative and in my opinion don't give a complete picture. I have a 2019 Kona EV and couldn't be more pleased with it. I kept my charge at 80% unless I was going on a trip and then did the occasional 100% with no issues. I brought it in to the dealership for recall 200 (battery inspection and possible new install). The inspection information was sent to Hyundai and eventually (yes, it took several months and me bugging them) Hyundai responded that I needed a new battery. The new battery eventually came (again several weeks). The dealership gave me a loaner for a couple of days while they installed the new battery and voila the car is back!! My car was never held at the dealership for any of it except the battery install - why would they?! I live in Maryland, although not sure if that makes any difference.

My only complaint is the number of software updates that I need to go in to have done. I would hope Hyundai can eventually figure out how to do those like Tesla, without me having to bring the car in.

Andy Murray, apu and R P like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. HepKona

HepKona Member

Hyundai US is who is ignoring me. It seemed positive for a week or so, but then the “supervisor” who I only got to after threatening legal action ghosted me too.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  14. HepKona

HepKona Member

I am not happy to be complaining. I really liked the car, but every single interaction with Hyundai has been abysmal.

15. HepKona

HepKona Member

Maybe I will give the ID4 a test drive. I am trying to find some time to drive a Mach E next week, though it looks like it will be worth waiting for the 2022 models.

Frank Pierson` likes this.
  16. HepKona

HepKona Member

I’m not even mad about the battery. It is an LG issue. BUT how they have handled it has been completely unacceptable. If they are backordered, no problem, but tell me. They have also been super dodgy and evasive about a BlueLink problem dating back to May 2020 - my HVAC will not start via the app and it seems like they could care less.

17. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

People usually don't post their positive experiences unless early on in a products life cycle to let others know it's a good car. Otherwise, most posts are to resolve an issue or some other info.

I also have a 2019 that I had the battery replaced and it's a wonderful car to drive. I don't think I can find anything for about the same price and range that I got it for back in 2019 today.

Ace's Mom, Andy Murray and R P like this.
  18. There's no such thing as "Hyundai North America". There's the U.S., Canada and (presumably), Mexico. They are distinct units that operate seperate from one another.

19. You don't understand how other people's experiences might differ from yours?

20. One other note about my experience (similar to another poster), after the dealership verified that I'd limited charging to 80% pre-replacement, I kept and drove the car until it was time to take it in for the replacement appointment. I'm quite surprised by the number of posters whose cars seem to have been effectively confiscated while awaiting a replacement. There is no reason for that if you're limiting charge to 80%.

To the person getting annoyed by the negative comments, I'm another happy camper. Our Kona is one of the best cars I've ever had. I admit, though, I've supplemented with a Rav4 Prime (another fantastic ride!) so I could take longer trips without worrying about finding a rapid charger along the way. The Kona is great for any driving along the Wasatch front and, with planning, even longer (before we got the Prime it'd taken my wife and me to San Diego, Donnelly, ID and Boulder, UT, for example).

Marc Chaton and R P like this.
  21. Suzanne Roth

Suzanne Roth Member

What is the lemon law in your state? They bought out your 2019, have them buy your 2021. Or they should provide a vehicle. Hyundai Corp bought out my lease (CA), refunding all my 21 payments and down payment.

22. Ramzak

Ramzak New Member

I bought a 2020 Kona EV in Oregon. In June of this year and at 10k miles, the battery died. The Kona was at the dealer for 6 weeks. I should add that it took 2 to 3 weeks for Hyundai to authorize this,

before the dealer could order the battery. I was not lucky enough to be given a car to drive, nor were there any rental cars in Portland, they were shipped out to tourist cities. I would have been SOL, if I didn’t have a second car.

At 12,000 miles on the Kona, I heard a clicking sound that reminded me of years ago, I would put playing cards on the spokes of my bikes wheels. The clicking would start slow and would become a hum at 30 mph. The dealer was stumped, but later assessed that it was the drive motor. The dealer called me when the part was in, that was 4 weeks.

They replaced the motor and when picking up the car and driving home, detected that same noise. Took it back to the dealer, this time it was diagnosed as a defective Gear Reduction unit assembly. Of course, the part needed to be ordered.

I really like driving this car, but I sure am glad it was all under warranty.

23. If anyone is interested, I've written about the range issue here: https://www.thislandofjoy.com/post/your-mileage-may-vary,

Marc Chaton likes this.