Did you get the battery replaced?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ColoradoKonaEV, Oct 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. If you had your car battery replaced, please share how long it took and what did you do to convince to replace it?

I made the mistake to get the 2021 Kona after they bought my 2019. The car would not go into drive after it is charged to 100%. The dealership said the battery needed to be replaced. It is sitting there since August 11th (more than 2 months now). They do not have batteries and cannot provide ETA. Between the monthly payments, the insurance and the registration for a brand new electric car I am spending a lot of money on a car I can't drive and don't even have in my possession. The dealership, the Hyundai Finance and the Hyundai Customer care all say there is nothing they could do and that I have to just wait until it is fixed.

Any advice on what I can do is much appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Why haven't you used the Lemon law in your state?

4. Ugh, that is very disconcerting news. I am sorry hear of your troubles. I half contemplated giving Hyundai another chance and getting another Kona to replace my current troublesome one. You have reaffirmed for me that would be a bad idea. Even though the car might be fine it seems the Hyundai is struggling to be a responsible and responsive corporate entity.

5. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi, I sent an email to Hyundai customer care in Aust. I voiced my disappointment at their lack of communication both to owners and their network of dealerships on the issue and solution. My dealership basically said they didn't have the tools or instructions on how to change a battery yet when I tried to book mine in. That really annoyed me after 8 months of this issue being known, so I sent my email. I also mentioned how this issue and how it was being handled would probably affect my decision when buying my next electric car. It was nothing special but within 3-4 weeks of that email being sent, I had a new battery.
    There doesn't seem to be much reasoning for who gets attention first in Aust, so I suspect it might be based on 'complaint levels'.
    Keep pushing mate, hope you get one soon.

6. I just took mine in (NZ) for a HVAC compressor fuse "product enhancement" applicable to 2018 builds. I was told the other outstanding campaigns (111 and 118) would be deferred until my battery replacement, which they said would be arranged with me directly by the importer. This is the first time the dealer has revealed to me they were even aware of the replacement program so I think that's encouraging news.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I'm still waiting for my battery. It's been at the service place for over 6 weeks. The supply chain is holding up the batteries that do make it here at the port. Hyundai already gave me $500 when i complained about having to charge to 80% and not getting full use of a car I'm paying for. I will probably have them open another case. I've had to pay for registration (not cheap in California) and two months payments since it's been at the dealership. I did get a loaner (hybrid ioniq).

9. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Took 3 weeks from when I dropped off my car to getting my car back with new battery back in August. Granted I am in California which probably has the most EV's in the country.

Domenick likes this.
  10. My 2019 has been at the dealer here in San Diego since August 11 as well. I've calling and discussing with dealer and Hyundai customer service but so far no firm ETA on "backordered" battery.

11. Cathy OS

Cathy OS New Member

I'm in Massachusetts and my dealer has had my car since August 25. They tell me they suspect the new battery is sitting in the port in CA but they don't know when they'll get it. I've got a rental but it's a basic entry level sedan. I know it's not fair to blame Hyundai for the delays (they told me they have 80 cars sitting in their lot waiting for parts) but it is frustrating!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann New Member

I brought my car in to have the battery ordered on July 10th. They ordered a ton of batteries then apparently. They called me to have it installed at the beginning of September, which was before the serious supply chain issues. The dealership had like 30 batteries all lined up. It took 4 hours for them to put it in. The car is still great.

Domenick and Jolee like this.
  14. I was told to take my 2019 Kona in for battery inspection and passed the failing test. Meaning, they told me my battery will be replaced for free. This was in April, it’s now ending of October. They did let me keep the Kona cause batteries were nowhere near California. I was told the China ports are closed and of course the Long Beach port issues we are having here is not helping. I am waiting to be contacted when the battery comes In. Meanwhile, I am still charging 100% with no issues.

Domenick likes this.
  15. Why did they keep your car?? After inspecting mine, they gave it back and said they will contact me when my battery comes in

16. Timothy J McGee

Timothy J McGee New Member

We called McGovern Hyundai in Brockton MA back in July. They have the equipment and the trained techs. Brought the vehicle in so they could verify the battery numbers and order one. 30 minutes for that.

Battery came in mid-August. Dropped it off on the way camping and picked it up on the return. Getting a fuller charge than we've ever gotten. Consistently over 300 so far.

The actual replacement is quite simple according to the mechanic. Takes about an hour but like 3 hours to get the battery out of the packaging. A bunch of bolts come out, unplug the battery, drop it out, raise up the new one, plug it in, put bolts back in.

McGovern Hyundai was awesome!!

I have no expectations for customer service anymore and am rarely surprised other than when it's good. But Hyundai customer service is THE ABSOLUTE worst we've ever come across. Definitely colored our opinion regarding ever buying one of their products again. Only caveat is we have the 2019 with a lifetime warranty so we'll probably keep this thing out of spite until it rots into the earth.

Domenick likes this.
  17. Looks like each dealership is handling this differently. My local dealer in Toronto, Canada, inspected mine in August 2021 and then gave me a rental while they held my car, waiting for the battery. That was two months ago: I'm still driving the rental (on the dealership's expense) but I can see from the Hyundai Bluelink app yesterday that my car is at Hyundai HQ and the battery has been charged to 100%. I'm expecting to get my car back any day now.

Domenick likes this.
  18. Cathy OS

Cathy OS New Member

I assume they are keeping it so they don't have the liability if my garage/house burns down. I did need to take if for a few days until a rental was available and I had to sign off as if I was leaving a hospital AMA!

19. I bet the rental was not electric. But as long as they fix the issue is all that matters.

20. I get the fire issue this. I got a long hose to charge outside eventually put a trapdoor in front of my garage and pull the hose out like a gas station. I park away from my home in case of a fire. I gotta say though, I really like the car. Unfortunate issue yes but it would be better if we were not going through all this. I do wanna go see the New Ionic coming out. I heard it was bigger and more miles.

21. HepKona

HepKona Member

Hyundai is got damned shitshow. They don’t return calls, they don’t follow up on anything. Still haven’t gotten a date for battery replacement. They have been radio silent since August. I’ve been shuffled between 4 or 5 case managers in the last couple of months and have to start the story over everytime so they “can get up to speed”. Isn’t that why you start tickets??? I supposedly qualify for buyback, which I will be taking in a heartbeat and shouting from the rooftops for people to stay the hell away from Hyundai.

ehatch and Domenick like this.
  22. Clint

Clint New Member

Sorry to hear of your problem.
    I am here in Waterloo Ontario Canada and had my 2020 Kona into the dealership last week for computer update. All checked out well and they told me I can now return to charging to 100%.

Domenick likes this.
  23. After looking up delay info on batteries, I found that they blame the ports are not performing at full speed, which it is true. That cannot be solved by Hyundai unfortunately. I’m not pleased w all happening. But truth of it is, they don’t have any to pass out at the time. Look up the issues happening in the ports