What about the infamous Mini rattles and creaks?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Pierre Racine, Aug 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I have noticed some rattles on my 2022 (specifically one from near the B pillar), some pops from the dash (thermal expansion/contraction when first turning on the AC) and some creaks from some plastic touch surfaces (like the door armrest area).

Overall these are very quiet and most people (like my wife) wouldn't notice them. I'm just very sensitive to any abnormal noises... I did rip the entire interior and dash out of my last car trying to silence it's dozens of rattles lol

It doesn't seem to be any worse than other $30k cars I've driven especially since it was designed to be lightweight and sporty rather than a luxury car!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

Our 2022 w/3k is solid. No squeaks or rattles. Suspension is still tight and feels like it will stay that way. Very BMW like.

4. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I have a tiny rattle that comes out on one road that was in horrible condition before they repaved. That's really it. Compared to the Civic we have, it's so much quieter. I'm super sensitive to rattles though and outside of normal heat/cool changes, I don't really hear anything on mine. Some assume all Minis will rattle due to past histories but I don't think that's as true anymore.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Then why come here and post? FTR this is an electric only forum too. So mentioning cas powered versions doesn't help much. Good luck with your GTI. They're pretty fun.

6. Whosehouse

Whosehouse New Member

While it looks like this has been sufficiently answered, I'll add:

My 2022 with 5k miles has never made a rattle noise and the only sounds are little electrical ones from the front dash during regen or things like that as well as the rubber door squeak others have mentioned. I drove it home from the dealership in total silence listening for any little noise.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pete MINI ES

Pete MINI ES New Member

My MINI Cooper SE was perfect coming from the dealers, but after putting snow tires on there was a noticeable squeak whenever I accelerated from a standstill. It kinda sounds like rubber on plastic, stretching. I was told it was the snow tires, but it still squeaks occasionally with the factory issued tires. Annoying, but still love the car!

9. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

You also have to go out of your way to fuel it. One of the most under-appreciated benefits of an EV is the convenience of home fueling (for those of us who have access to it).

10. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

All I hear is road noise in mine. 3k miles so far but only have had since june.

insightman likes this.
  11. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

2021, with more that 22.5k km. Only issue (rattle related, that is) is with the window's rubber that gets dry... Silicon spray seems to settle it for a couple of weeks...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. No issue here. Even with the infamous road conditions in the Greater Toronto Area with all the designer's pot holes and service hole covers that are placed exactly where your wheels will make contact no matter how you steer. I can say the Mini is a well built and tight car. Yes, I feel the bumps and shocks, but all within my acceptable level.

14. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

What product are you using? My SE lives in the hot sun unfortunately. Sometimes the window creaks.

15. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I've been using Rain-X 2-in-1 to lubricate the inside corner of the driver's window which gets the squeak. The passenger side has not yet made the sound. The treatment usually lasts a few weeks.

polyphonic likes this.
  16. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Any silicon relates product that can be applied to rubber should do it... Mine lives in a garage most of the time, so it must not be the sun's fault...

polyphonic likes this.
  17. Sully151

Sully151 Member

Yup!
    I have a rattle in the dash or maybe the center display behind the steering wheel. Sounds like a screw is loose somewhere. Drives me nuts.

I also have several door creaks and sometime the whole cabin gets pops and settling sounds.

the dash rattle really bugs me. I have 4K miles on the car.

18. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this! I'm at 6,700 miles and nothing so far. I think the 'screw loose' sound could definitely be looked at under warranty.

19. My 2022 Mini is very silent and feels solid. No rattles at all. I compared with several other electric cars that all gave the impression of lower quality (Renault Zoe, MG ZS, Polestar 2, Kia EV6, Hyundai Ionic 5,...)- well the last two were pretty good too, but priced quite a bit higher. I am at about 9000 km on the car now, after 5 months from purchase.

wessy likes this.
  20. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Rattles really bother me, as well. And having said that, the only consistent rattle I've had with five Mini's is the rear seatbelts if they're not secured. It took me forever to locate that source, but once secured, all of the Mini's have been quiet. The SE even more so. I do not subscribe to the "many Mini rattles" myth.

insightman likes this.
  21. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My SE is so quiet I can hear the rear license plate rattle because the screws I have are too long and can't be tightened all the way.

wessy and MichaelC like this.
  22. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

As someone who has owned 6 MINIs, it's definitely not a myth. First gen was the worst offender by far, but even our 3rd gen Clubman has a dash rattle at certain temperatures and it's impossible to locate.

No rattles in the SE so far, but I only have a few hundred miles on it.

23. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I have a few squeaks from the dash of my 2008 128i since I bought it with 34k. It has 80k now. The 2000 E36 323Ci we bought for my daughter had zero squeaks or rattles when we sold it a few months ago with 106k.