Battery Recall for Canadian Kona Owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mcsquared, May 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. You'll probably get a better response when more than 3 people have actually received a battery. :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks for that KonaTom. Three a week seems a pretty good pace. :)

4. I can't imagine any test that could measure the physical proximity of the anode to the separator. Nor is there any relevant parameter I'm aware of that could be measured at the dealer that can't be measured by the BMS firmware.

5. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I guess so, as it ties up a hoist for a few hours. I see battery boxes around the back, so they are doing them.

EVatLast likes this.
  6. Lol, someone just posted on the Quebec Facebook group that they were told by their dealership that they have received 6 batteries and that they had to install them within the next week or so as they take up too much space. So the guy was asked to come in next week and that if customer "x" can't come in to get it installed quickly enough, they will just call other customers due for the recall and install it on theirs. And no stress test was done whatsoever on his Kona. So for at least that dealership, doesn't look like they're tied to a particular VIN for the battery switch... What a mess!

navguy12 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I was told by Hyundai that batteries were coming in "batches". I guess this is what they mean. Feast or famine.

navguy12 likes this.
  9. KonaTom

My dealer told me that Hyundai sends them a list of VIN's for next batch of battery deliveries. That's why they called me to say I was first on the next list, but it will be two to four weeks before the batteries arrive. I image if someone can't come in, the dealer has the option of calling another owner, but unless they are on that list from Hyundai, I doubt they can install it. They would need to get Hyundai to authorize another VIN I would think.

10. will-E

will-E New Member

Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum... I was thinking my Kona EV would be included in battery replacement recall based its production date of 2020.03. However, when I search for recall at Hyundai Canada website using my VIN, it is not showing any battery recall! Can anyone speak to this and/or whether they have the same experience?

11. FWIW GM is giving a new 8 yr/ 100,000 mile warranty with their Bolt battery pack module replacement program;)

" we have some good news today. A spokesperson from GM has told us that they have informed some owners that, starting on August 23rd, they can start booking appointments to have all of the modules in their batteries replaced with new ones, and giving a new 8 year 100,000 mile warranty."
    https://electrek.co/2021/08/16/exclusive-gm-to-replace-all-battery-modules-in-some-bolts-to-avoid-chevy-bolt-fires/?fbclid=IwAR1F_qA_-5kHlBm9YGs3wu55cS2r2ukEvf2M0xtQwdZJWTyZowe2ospZNbE

navguy12 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KonaTom

Only production dates of 2018 and part of 2019 are in the recall, as this was the period they used LG batteries made in a particular factory in China that had the problem. Batteries since then are ok.

14. will-E

will-E New Member

Oh I see! Thanks for confirming!

15. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Nothing of the sort was done on my car. I’m in Ontario.
    Like many other owners, I simply brought my car in to validate the “80 percent charge” which took all of a few minutes. I got a call a couple of weeks ago informing me that my battery was due in the next 2-4 weeks and that I was the first replacement at that particular dealership.

So unless they did the stress test in the 15 minute 80% validation service (not sure what kinda stress could be inflicted in that short of time) then it was never done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I'm done with Hyundai, dealer is now telling me, I prolly have to call the dealer, where I bought the car to get the battery replaced and I know why , cuz he b@tched and complain about having to buy equipment to change the battery .
    What a clusterfok!!!!!
    I just put money down on the upcoming BMW i4.

EVatLast, Alexstd and Ronny like this.
  17. I got a call today (August 20th) that my battery has been delivered and due to the size they want to get installed as quickly as possible. So I have an appointment on Tuesday, they say it will take 4.5 hours, but they don't have a courtesy vehicle so I have to get home on my own (good thing they are only a 10 minute walk to the LRT).

Have there been any other battery replacements in Ontario?

Brennan Raposo, navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.
  18. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

Update:

My battery was replaced on August 18th— basically 1/2 a day at the shop for two mechanics to replace it. Service rep said Hyundai will pick up the old battery within two or three days as the shop side is not keen to have them sitting around taking ip space. Final note— I charged to 100% state of charge overnight and the car passed the system check and started without any issues in the morning.

Best of luck to everyone else who is waiting on their replacement!

BC Doc

livingthecadream and navguy12 like this.
  19. Ground clearance unchanged. Shiny battery more visible :)

Kirk, Pcph and navguy12 like this.
  20. XtsKonaTrooper

Today I spoke with Hyundai Canada , and they tell me, I have to get a hold of the dealer where I purchased the vehicle which is 500km away to get the battery replaced. I call the GM at that place and they don't have me on the list as they already received a battery for another customer. This whole year I've been dealing with the local dealer and they won't even get a battery , because the Vin is associated with the selling dealer but nobody could have told me that.
    So who knows when I will be getting a battery.
    The gift card just got ordered yesterday, even though the local dealer did all the recall stuff to submit for said item. So now I'm being told , to wait another 6-8weeks.
    I advised them to make sure they are noting this stuff in the case notes because my satisfaction and brand loyalty is next to zero.

navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.
  21. Sure seeing a lot of conflicting info. In my case, I service my car at my local dealer, not where I bought it. After my last stress test (failed), they said my battery is on order and will be installed by then. When I did speak to Hyundai Canada, I also asked them if I should be maybe be dealing with my car purchase dealer, and they said no, my local dealer will do it.

And yes, have read some posts where batteries were replaced without any stress tests. Although it is possible, the test is still run (and fails) as part of the replacement process. I don't know...

So far, I am OK with my process, as at least I know my battery will be replaced eventually. And I got my $250 gift card debacle fixed (I think). And in the meantime, my car is working fine. Not doing any long trips right now, so no problem with the 80% charge limit.

navguy12 and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  22. XtsKonaTrooper

RP , the problem for me, is when I feel I'm getting jerked around, I'll disconnect.
    My case in point had I not kept looking into
    this, no gift card was coming And God knows if a battery would be delivered to a dealer.
    All of my driving in the Kona for me, is mostly highway driving and the 80% for me is a major pain and costs me more money that I didn't factor into when I bought this car.
    I'm disappointed and its unfortunate, that I've lost faith with Hyundai.

navguy12 likes this.
  23. I feel your pain and disappointment. I agree that customer service has been bad, at best. Once an issue/case has been identified and logged, I would expect customer service to take ownership and follow up to be sure the issue is resolved to the customer's satisfaction. Instead they leave it to the customer to chase the issue, and don't even really support the dealer. With all the long delays with the gift card, you'd think at corporate someone would figure out there is a common problem and get it resolved with the dealers and customers.

Essentially, what was supposed to be an appeasement to customers has backfired on them and actually created more customer dissatisfaction. This whole debacle should make a good case study for business schools, of how NOT to do customer service.

Having said all that, and suffered through the same frustrations, I have still not given up. I like the car, and if they fix this battery problem, I am still expecting to keep it for a long time.

navguy12 likes this.