Battery Recall for Canadian Kona Owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mcsquared, May 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, that one was complete a long time ago.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hi,

Today my battery was replaced. I asked about the warranty and it doesn't change 8 years from the day you got the car.
    They also told me that the battery cooling liquid was replaced.

Attached Files:

4. Congratulations. So a battery manufactured in Asia on May 20th is installed in Quebec in mid-August. Seems fairly quick given shipping.

navguy12 likes this.
  5. Likely a measurement of insulation resistance at the cell group level and must meet the spec criteria to pass or fail.

mho likes this.
  6. Ya, I'm not confused about the type of test. I'm confused why there is a test, if there is a test and when it's being applied and just how often there's no test at all. It seems very random.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Document the odometer reading (and keep the work order receipt) as this should be the start of the 60K kms coolant replacement cycle. Will save you substantial bucks particularly if blue low conductive coolant is used.;)
    Congrats on receiving the replacement pack as well.

Kirk, navguy12 and BC-Doc like this.
  9. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

Hi all,
    Here’s my timeline and update:

April 16th— reduction of max charge to 80% confirmed by my local dealer.

August 12th— e-mail received with link for $250 Mastercard. I’ve opted for a physical card which will arrive within the next week or two.

August 13th— call from my dealer service desk informing me a battery has arrived. Installation booked for August 18th with a loaner vehicle to be made available. My battery is the second my dealer will have replaced.

Cheers,

BC Doc
    2019 Kona Ultimate
    Vernon Hyundai (BC)

10. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

got my call from the dealer, and I am first in line, but the battery probably wont arrive for a few weeks. He said if I bring the car in the morning it will be ready that afternoon, and they will provide a loaner car for me!! Guess I should be doing a lot of driving in next weeks :)

navguy12, EVatLast and R P like this.
  11. Just went to my local dealership to follow-up on what appeared to be the "clicking noise" from the motor, they did step 1 of the replacement today (replaced brackets holding motor in place ; did not fix issue so I'm in for a full motor replacement a few weeks from now which will take 1+ day and I'll be getting a loaner (ICE) in the meantime). While I was there, they casually mentioned they will be doing a test on my main battery to confirm if it needs to be replaced or not. I was there 3 weeks ago or so and this was not even mentioned to me at that time so I am assuming this is a fairly new process/new guidelines from Hyundai Canada... Like a previous poster, luckily my test "failed" and thus, they confirmed a replacement battery was ordered, but still no ETA of when it'll be available... "Later this year" but at least now I know for sure I'm getting one. They said if the stress test "passes" they set back your charge limit to 100% and off you go (mine needs to stay at 80% until replacement).

So if you haven't had the "stress test" done on your battery / have not had any news from your dealership and your VIN is part of the recalled number, might want to give them a call to ask about this. I did not get an invoice as all under warranty (will get one when I get motor replaced in a few weeks) but I was told this is still all part of the main battery recall (R0183) process.

navguy12 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Is it just the motor, or are they also replacing the gear box? They replaced both on mine, and that fixed the problem.

14. Only talked about the motor but I'll ask for a copy of invoice / what was done today (even if no cost to me) to see exactly what was done / will be done and post back)

15. I think there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that this "stress" test is not a universal thing. I don't know what the parameters are that define the requirements for the test or for what this test actually "tests" but not everyone is getting it and not all dealers are doing it.

KiwiME likes this.
  16. Can you give some references of people getting battery replacements without the dealer first doing the check test, and when/where these occurred. And don't include the ones that have already shown codes or indications of being defective. Also, bear in mind this pre-replacement test is new, only came out within the last couple months. And that seemed to coincide with the start of the mass battery replacement roll-out.

I share your desire for more info. So looking forward to your examples.

navguy12 likes this.
  17. Nah.

18. I was told by my dealer that these test results have to be submitted to Hyundai Canada. And it is they who then schedule the replacement and inform both the dealer and customer.

19. KonaTom

I didn't get a stress test, at least I don't think so. I took the car in to confirm the charge level was at 80%, but I don't think they did anything else, only had it for a few minutes.

20. That's not when the stress test happens. It happens when the replacement battery program is initiated. You will get that test just before they are ready to order your battery. It is the final check before that happens.

I am not clear from your previous post whether this has already happened in your case. You might call your dealer to confirm if they have run the test, and your battery failed. In my case, they gave me an invoice to confirm. It says "Inspected BSA: Failed". That was submitted to Hyundai Canada and they will contact us when the replacement battery arrives.

navguy12 likes this.
  21. Do you mind me asking when you purchased it? I got mine from Duncan in Feb 2019.

Also, did they send you anything by mail or was it just the call? Trying to guesstimate when I might expect my call.

Wildeyed likes this.
  22. KonaTom

I got mine on January 2019. Nothing by mail, just a phone call saying I'm next and they will let me know when the battery is in. They never did a stress test to my knowledge, and it was Hyundai Canada that told them I was next. They also did not say they will be testing the battery before replacing it. Told me it will take a few hours to replace the battery, and that was all. They said they were doing three a week, so you shouldn't be too long

navguy12, EVatLast and Wildeyed like this.
  23. Pcph

Pcph New Member

Is it just me or does the new battery look different? Black plastic brackets at each corner of the battery catch my eye every time I walk to the car. This likely means something has changed. Also it feels like the ground clearance has been reduced (the bottom of the battery sits closer to the ground).