Battery Recall for Canadian Kona Owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mcsquared, May 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I will do that next time I head in there!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KonaTom

Do either of you work at the school board, as I see my twin parked there often.

4. I don’t. I work in Victoria but currently work from home in Cowichan Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. No I don't either. I'm in the Victoria area. Ceramic blue seems to have been a popular color here. I see them quite often.

6. KonaTom

Yeah and I believe it is discontinued on the 2022 models

EVatLast likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Is there any clear pattern to battery replacements yet?

2019 Ultimate with 12/28/18 build date

9. Does anybody else experience multiple charge "top-up" notifications in quick order? I've had the car for 2 1/2 years and haven't experienced this until very recently. It makes me think something funny is going on with the battery but what?

Attached Files:

10. KonaTom

I don't think there will be a clear pattern. My dealer said it was based on purchase delivery date, and of course, it would depend on when the dealer sent the orders to Hyundai, and how long it took for the shipments to arrive at each dealer, so I think it will be all over the place. I know Ontario received a shipment before they showed up in BC, so some Ontarians should get them earlier, but my dealer on Vancouver Island is already installing them.

11. KonaTom

does anyone know if we will get a new battery warranty with the replacement batteries?

navguy12 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I have my replacement this week, I'll ask when I'll drop the car. I expect that the same 8 years and 160k will not change (from day 1)

14. Had my car in again this morning for the battery recall "stress test". The service mgr explained again that replacements are not just by VIN number. This latest recall "remedy" is not just a software update/test, but a full blown stress test to see if the defect is present.

Good news, though! The stress test failed!! I was a little concerned if it passed, there will always be a cloud hanging over whether the old battery is truly good and will last for the long term. So now I am slated for a battery replacement. I am very happy about that.

The dealer will submit the test results to Hyundai Canada, and they will notify me when the new replacement battery will be available for me. Again, as I have stated in the past, the longer it takes the better. I am happy with the car overall, so look forward to keeping it for a long while. The Kona is still one of the best range EVs out there, even compared to the very latest announcements. The motor/gear drive replacements (almost 20K kms ago) fixed the clicking issue, and have not had any other issues with the car.

My car is a 2019, and was manufactured in Dec/2018. It has 37K kms to this point.

navguy12 and John Lumsden like this.
  15. I'm still not understanding this whole "stress test" thing. You and a few Americans have mentioned something about it while others have heard nothing of it and are simply awaiting or are actively receiving battery replacements. My dealer never mentioned any "test" and the recall documentation doesn't really either. Confusing...

16. The service mgr at my dealer has been very good with explaining things for me. He has been in regular contact with Hyundai Canada, and everything he told me so far has made sense. I believe he is the largest Hyundai dealer in BC, so maybe has some pull.

This latest recall remedy is not actually called a stress test, but in reality that is what it is. This final test determines whether or not the battery is OK, before they order a replacement. Like I said, it does not go just by VIN number.

I also asked again about the $250 dollar gift card. He said the original submission was done in error. Apparently Hyundai's instructions and process were not clear, and they make a mistake. He said it happened to all of the early submissions, and they had to redo them all. So hopefully now I will eventually hear from Hyundai Canada and get my gift car. You may want to check with your dealer about that, too.

navguy12 likes this.
  17. Strange. I was speaking withi Hyundai Canada today to register as a new owner (of a 2019 Ultimate, Dec 2018 build date).

Was told it was by VIN, would receive a letter and then be contacted by the dealer.

18. The VIN triggers the recall, but it still needs to pass that stress test before you can get a replacement. They don't all fail. If you got the recall letter, go to your dealer and get that final check booked. I did not wait for them to call me. Then you will know, either way.

navguy12 likes this.
  19. As far as I can tell very few people have been getting "second letters" despite the written instructions and fewer still are required to attend pre-installation battery inspections. People who answer the phones at Hyundai corporate have no clue what is happening in the real world and only parrot what's on their computer screen - the same thing that's written in your recall letter and on the recall website(s).

navguy12 likes this.
  20. I am just giving my experience and relaying what my dealer has been telling me. So far, I have no reason to doubt him. Others may vary and can't speak for them, or what Hyundai says/does.

navguy12 likes this.
  21. If the recall is shown as Complete on the Hyundai Owner's website then Hyundai had to be aware of the work being done. Mine has shown as Complete for months (and I'm willing to bet yours did too). Still no card. The dealership executing properly or improperly should not matter. If it does, if we've been waiting because someone at a dealership forgot to dot an "i", then it's just an example of a business happily willing to screw over its customers in service of its own internal management dynamic.

22. Just checked the website on my car's outstanding recalls. And it still shows as incomplete. I took a screenshot, in case you don't believe me.
    upload_2021-8-12_12-38-55.png

23. I was referring to Recall to reduce charging capacity to 80% back in the Spring.