Tesla: toward 30% gross margins, also 600 miles range on Semi

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by 101101, May 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

In the conference call Musk referenced approaching %30 gross margins on vehicles and suggested an expectation of a 600 mile range for production Semi. He didn't say if it was plus or minus on that range, but the thing to keep in mind is that is rail range but it can go to the door and Musk said in convoy it will be cheaper than rail. That means by far the best cost in the industry with range issues obliterated. Also the best environmentally and for future proofing.

As for 30% margin, that would be by far the best in the auto industry. Tesla is already mopping the floor of the top end of the auto industry taking share but with margins apparently better than Porsche or the very best (an totally unrealistic for ICE outside of boutique.) Tesla is taking share but keeping the very top margins. But the lesson seems to be that the margins will get better as Tesla travels down the price continuum toward higher volume.

This is in line with what the DOE said either in 2011 or 2013 indicating that parity for ICE and EV on cost would be $124kwh in dollars from that year. Tesla is likely already below $100kwh and I've read indications it won't be long before its at $70 a kwh. But we still see shill articles attempting to state a cost of over $200 a kwh for the industry. They lie because that is all they can do, even though they prefer lies to truth and then try to project that onto Musk.

The key take away is electric is already cheaper than ICE. Parity for price will soon be here at purchase from the low end to the high end. Cost of ownership is already quite a bit lower. But its a better experience. The model 3 is a better car than any of its competitor just like the S and the X are better than their competition. This is showing up in the Model 3 outselling the BMW 2/3/4 series combined in the US now. Within the year it will be the best selling car in its class by market share.

Tesla has the best battery tech, the best software, the best brand and the best delivery system, the lists of bests goes on and one and on. As Musk said, in a class by itself.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TeslaInvestors

TeslaInvestors Active Member

Can you please stop bombarding the forum with so many ridiculous threads day after day? The right place for you is www.teslamotorsclub.com. There you will be welcomed with open arms and no questions will ever be asked about whatever you say, as long as it is positive for Tesla.

For your 30% margin: First, it's apples to oranges, as Tesla's cooked up definition of gross margin is way different from how other OEMs calculate.
    Second, wait till the short range Model 3 arrives. It will squeeze the margin down to < 10%.

Lastly, why are these Tesla related threads in the general forum? Shouldn't they be in the tesla sub forum?

4. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

If you look at the BNEF shill PR numbers Tesla is about 10 years ahead of where they want the public to believe things are at with EVs. That is
    to day about a decade away and tomorrow never comes kind of logic. That's based primarily on the charts they provide and the kwh.
    So that makes Tesla the true leading edge aside from what China and maybe Korea are doing.

As for you assertion about the lower range Model 3 and the margin, that simply will not be true. And besides the 10% would be in the normal range. But the difference is the costs on batteries will continue to fall and the margin at the low end will continue to increase. By the time
    we reach where BNEF says the inflection point would be out 8 years from now, Tesla will almost certainly be in a position to get 30% margins out of the dead bottom of the market in the Toyota Yaris portion of the market.

Why not change your nic to "Tesla Shorts" no one that would put money in the firm would have your attitude toward it. What you do is bash Tesla. Can't wait for the short burn personally, think its coming this year. If its not already the case that shorts have lost more money on Tesla than any firm in history they soon will. I can't think of any intelligent reason to short Tesla, its like betting against your own survival and the survival of everyone else, its Darwin award level stupid. I know why Wall St. does it, they have a bunch of toxic petrol debt they are idiotically on the line for and Tesla is a pin to that balloon, but that balloon is a ticking time bmb regardless. But Wall St. doing it is just more evidence against them for when the reckoning comes that didn't happen as it should have in 2007.

5. DonDeeHippy

DonDeeHippy Member

If 1010111 stopped posting the site would be dead, I like your posts man. Sometimes I get a little lost but I usually follow them.

I don't see u putting any posts up Owner, just bad mouth everyone else it seams

101101 likes this.
  6. TeslaInvestors

TeslaInvestors Active Member

Fair enough. We should welcome 101101 to keep starting new threads. But OPs should be ready for people who will refute his claims.

I have started only one thread by myself: Honda->Clarity->Clarity fuel cell.
    I felt that this marvelous long range ZEV car is under represented in the media, as well as the internet forums, including insideevs. That car is a much better deal for consumers than the overpriced long range BEVs. That is, if they can get one.

OK, I'm going to start a new thread now :)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

I keep hoping the moderators here will ban 101101 for all his, um, "eccentric" rants which are completely disconnected from the real world, and for his endless proliferation of new threads to post the same rants. The signal-to-noise ratio of this forum was much better before he joined, and will be much improved when he's no longer here.

As someone else commented, the only time one of 101101's threads generates useful conversation is when other people ignore what he actually said, and talk about something else.
    -

9. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

There is no argument in favor of fuel cells that doesn't involve the worst kind of black lies, criminal elitist entitlement and suicidal intent. If you follow the money on fuel cell its all petrol BS. Spending money is not freedom of speech, and the petrol fuel/energy stuff should just be straight blocked, petrol fuel energy profit (is a delusion- a transfer payment) and anything calling itself that should be banned confiscated, transfer payments stopped as fast as humanly possible and prior transfer payments because in this case they are theft (and to the extent treason is coherent- treason) should be clawed back.

Pushmi-Pullyu, no rationalist realist type has any clue about the real world is. Generally if they have workable values its only an accident.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2018