Charge limits imposed on Bluelink

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by NRH, Apr 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Yes, the car has a cell modem of its own and a connection up to the mothership, whether you
    subscribe to bluelink or not. Well, except mine.

_H*

MagicSmoke, Mattsburgh and apu like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Same, I charged to 100% last week no problem, and I'll be doing it again this week b/c I have a very long trip Sunday and Monday. When I'm not taking a long trip I have no problem setting it at 80%. I'm not an attorney but I feel confident that changing it to 80% AND completely blocking the owner from moving it back up would absolutely be lawsuit territory. They sold us a car with a set battery capacity, if they were to remove some of that capacity that just seems like a black and white lawsuit to me. So I would not worry about this for now, as I said, I had absolutely no problem setting it to whatever I wanted to in the car.

BaylorBob likes this.
  4. Exactly! I caught that too. If necessary? The announcement last month said all vehicles with those batteries from those dates were going to get new batteries.

BaylorBob likes this.
  5. For those of you who may both be very concerned about charging over 80% and needing more range than that, I have a suggestion. Several years ago I had a Honda CR-V with the Takata airbag recall. If you felt the vehicle was unsafe to operate, Honda paid for a rental car until the airbag could be replaced. For about 2 1/2 months if I recall, I had a Hyundai Santa Fe paid for by Honda. Strangely, I had the CR-V too but I was a good little boy and did not drive it as I was instructed. Once the airbag came in, all was well. I paid nothing out of pocket. Do I know for a fact Hyundai would pay for a rental? Absolutely not. But doesn't mean you can't ask. "I feel unsafe driving this vehicle until the battery has been replaced, but I do need a vehicle, what remedy do you propose?"

Side note: If you're in a rental car and others are not, who do you think Hyundai is giving the batteries to first? Just a thought.

6. That is incorrect. Honda paid for me to have a Hyundai Santa Fe for almost 3 months while they waited on a replacement airbag for my CR-V. Their letter to me was very clear it simply said that if I felt unsafe driving the vehicle until the airbag was able to be replaced, they would pay for a rental car; I took them up on that offer. That does not mean it was required by the NHTSA or that all manufacturers offered this, in fact I'm pretty sure they did not. But for you to say "no loaners" - sorry but that is not correct.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I don't expect mine to know either, since I'm not in a state that sells the cars. I would hope though that once you show them the letter they could "figure it out" ? Dealerships have regional Hyundai reps they can talk to. Don't let your dealer play dumb, just show them the letter, ask them to get in touch with the Hyundai rep and get it done.

9. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Talk to a Lemon Law Lawyer. It's Free!

10. VanGoghsEar

VanGoghsEar Member

Here is the official URL for Hyundai Canada recalls: https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/owners-section/recalls

11. DasMeister

DasMeister Member

I've had a rental/loaner for about a month already and 100% free from Hyundai until fixed - so they will

Mattsburgh likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Hyundai may not offer to give everyone a loaner/rental, but if you ask, I bet they're going to be pretty amenable. Granted, with the airbag issue Honda proactively invited me to have a loaner if I felt uncomfortable, but that was a few months into the issue when it became obvious airbags replacements were going to take months. Hyundai may very well get to the same point too.

In the airbag case, I believe I recall (ahem, no pun intended) that Takata actually ultimately paid for the loaner vehicle I had. In this case, it would be yet another thing Hyundai and LG would likely have to fight over.

14. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Would hate to have to drive a gas engine loaner. Got used to the electric car now and would never go back, bet they wouldn't give me an EV loaner. I am upset that I no longer have a car with more than 400 km range. I bought the Kona for the range, and now it is about 100km less. They should be giving us 20% of the purchase price back, or buy back the cars. Funny thing about bluelink forcing charge rates, they sent me a message that the battery has been set to max 80% charge, but when I checked the info screen on the car, it still showed 90% for AC charging, which is the setting I had before. I had set DC charging to max 80% before anyway.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  15. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I have another idea for Hyundai. Replace our effected Konas with the new Ioniq 5. They can then take the Konas to a central facility and either repair or replace the batteries, or permanently force lower charging(if they think that is safe), and then resell them as used vehicles with full waranties. Using just one or maybe a few facilities with well-trained service people, should result in cost savings for Hyundai, and make their customers and dealers a lot happier too.

ttsherpa and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  16. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

For consumer confidence , that would make the most sense.
    They are no longer producing it, as the model name Is tainted.
    Don't get me wrong , I love the Kona but I don't like the fear of it disintegrating and causing me further headaches with insurance and taking a hit with premiums and its not even my fault.
    Logistically it would be easy peavey...
    Replacing it , would send a strong message to consmers that they take this matter seriously cuz honestly they really don't know what caused it imo.
    They will not sell it in South Korea and why is that?
    In all fairness, even if the battery is replaced, it will be on my mind.
    If Hyundai thinks when the battery is replaced that it Is fine, then give me a fair trade in value and I will get Ioniq 5. Shy of that, I will no longer buy Hyundai and the majority of my vehs over 4 decades has been same.

17. In Canada: Just got a mandatory push notification to update Bluelink to force the 80% charge. That's about a week or so after the phone and mail notifications about the reset and recall.

18. I did two Videos about the software updates related to the recall.
    The first one lists the software updates and changes.
    In this second one I am testing the DC quick charge speed and highlight the changes to it:

19. I took my Kona in yesterday to have the battery limitation imposed. Yes, I could do it myself but I wanted that $200 gift card - it's the very least, and I mean VERY least, Hyundai can do. The service department admitted everything he knows about the recall he's learning from clients. Hyundai has told them less than it's told owners. Service said there's no reason I couldn't reset the battery back to 100%. But I won't knowing that if anything happens I might have contributory negligence. I'm not a PI attorney so what do I know.

I didn't receive the gift card after all. Again, knowing less than clients, the servicer thought Hyundai would send it directly to me.

Service had no clue when battery replacements would be available. You can't sell the vehicle once a recall has been initiated- until there's a fix. The service department expected a class action law suit against Hyundai. I guess that's up to us.

20. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

From what people are reporting on here, that's correct that Hyundai will send the gift card. The dealers are taking a picture when it is "serviced" and sending it to corporate and then the card is issued. Or so I have read...

21. HappyKonaGirl

HappyKonaGirl New Member

No Jennifer, you’re not alone. Since 2/19 I’ve had a 2019 Kona EV in NJ. I rarely see another on the road though.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

22. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Same here - have had my 2020 in South Jersey since February. Seeing more Tesla's and I see the ICE Kona every so often but have not seen a Kona EV here yet....