Charge limits imposed on Bluelink

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by NRH, Apr 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NRH

NRH Active Member

Overnight our car's charge limit was reduced to 80% for AC and DC charging. On Bluelink the limit can't be set above 80% now.

Fingers crossed that the setting can still be set to 100% from the car's infotainment screen. If not, I'll be ready to leave team hakuna matata, to join the pitchforks and torches crowd.

Remotely hobbling someone's car, while they're on a long trip, is a **** move.

BaylorBob, ehatch and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

I just tried to charge (Charge point) and my car refused to take over 80%.
    I don't want it any more.
    Mine is a lease...

BaylorBob and ehatch like this.
  4. Thomas Mackay

Thomas Mackay New Member

The day I got back from a road trip mine changed to 80%, this happened before I got a notification email. If it had happened a day earlier I would have been screwed. Not enough prior notification AT ALL. I really hope Hyundai makes this right. In Maryland, USA, we have a "Lemon Law"

https://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov/Pages/CPD/lemon.aspx

The law provides that a dealer or manufacturer must correct a defect within 30 days after the consumer writes to the manufacturer by certified mail. If the manufacturer or dealer is unable to do so, the consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement vehicle under the Lemon Law if the car has:
    Any one problem that substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle that was not corrected in four repair attempts;

Maybe I need to write Hyundai a letter?

BaylorBob and ehatch like this.
  5. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Paul - did you try overriding the 80% on the infotainment screen? I'm just wondering if the Bluelink setting will wrestle with the infotainment setting or if it will allow it to stay once you change it (if you can change it at all). Also wondering if logging out of Bluelink will help.

ehatch likes this.
  6. Paul DeLeon

I deleted Blue link from my phone days ago. Not sure how to "override" charging settings.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. This is how:

If this procedure has been changed I would be surprised, as this would now qualify as an OTA update (downgrade), please let us know.
    BTW, on my 21 model (post recall) I elected not to enable telematics, so no Bluelink logging (tracking) for me.
    Nav works just fine, and all 3 widget sections on the screen just like when I purchased:)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    ehatch and navguy12 like this.
  9. This is very troubling if this is what Hyundai is up. I think its time to look into Hobbits instruction how to disconnect the onboard cell connection, its not like bluelink works reliably anyways. I would rather have the option of range vs an unreliable ability to remotely change climate control. Loosing 20% battery capacity is absolutely no beuno for me.

ehatch, navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  10. Paul DeLeon

As I tried to post, I deleted Blue link days ago. Not sure how to override anything.

11. Problem is even if you delete the app the car is still connected to the Hyundai mothership via the LTE connection in the infotainment unit. I just think its terrible Hyundai is making software changes key to the vehicles drivability without our knowledge or permission. Last I looked I still owned the car.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I received both an email and a Blue link message that they would set the charge limit to 80%. I went out this morning and set the charge limit to 90% and then to 100% and then back to 90% where I left it. Checked blue link and it shows it set to 90%. So you can set it to any level you like form the infotainment screen. I never use blue link except to check charge status. Below is a screen shot of blue link

fullsizeoutput_31e.jpeg

Mattsburgh, apu and electriceddy like this.
  14. Paul DeLeon

How did you set the limit?
    On the app or directly on the car screen?

15. Directly on the infotainment screen in the car.

For those who haven't used this method before: From drivers seat turn on the car 1:touch ev "leaf" on the screen, 2: touch charge management, 3: touch Max % charge, 4: Adjust % by touching + or -

ehatch likes this.
  16. Thomas Mackay

Thomas Mackay New Member

I was able to increase the limit on the infotainment screen- but its to be seen if that is actually in effect when charging.

17. As someone said in another thread Blue Link is a a dumb app with no over the air update ability. Blue link just toggles the existing software in the car up or down. It cannot limit it to 80% or as that is not in the software. I think Hyundai is counting on people just assuming they won't be able to change it after Hyundai lowers it. If a large percentage of owner believe that and never try to change the setting Hyundai has got what they want with out a software up date and can later claim they didn't limit any one they just made a recommendation

BaylorBob likes this.
  18. NRH

NRH Active Member

My wife was able to change the settings back to 100% through the infotainment screen, and the car took a full charge. All is well again.

19. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

Looks like Hyundai just did it the easy/reversible way.
    Anyhow, I saw that the hidden menu of the infotainment system has options mentioning explicitly wifi, 4G and OTA. I don't know if they're fully ready for them to use. MY20 in Europe where we haven't received such emails yet.

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  20. ttsherpa, please clarify the hidden menu you mentioned. How is it accessed?

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  21. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

Sure, here you are (it's for Kia but worked on mine)

22. srkz

srkz New Member

So BlueLink set my charge limit to 80% just like everyone else's, and I set it back to 90% on the car screen shortly after, a couple days ago. This morning my car was only charged up to 80% though, and the setting was back to 80% again, so it seems they're going to keep reducing it to 80% remotely as long as your BlueLink is active. Not sure how many times they'll push the setting, but I can confirm that it's more than just once.

At least I still have the option of charging it to 90 or 100% immediately before a trip, but I am not pleased by the development...

BaylorBob likes this.
  23. Same with our Kona here in Florida oh, it was remotely set to 80%

BaylorBob likes this.