Considering Kona EV as my 1st EV...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by PhantomJT, Mar 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi folks -
    My wife and I are considering the Kona EV as our first EV. I've been reading all sorts of reviews and online reports and a few concerns keep popping up in the back of my head. Was hoping if other Kona EV owners can help share guidance.

Background:
    - Located in GTHA Ontario, so will need to deal with cold winters & warm winters
    - Will commute about an hr to work on the 401 (speeds of aprx 110km/h)
    - I'm 6'2" and prefer not hitting my head on the roof ;)
    - We have a growing family (1yr old and considering #2 baby haha). Trunk space must be able to store stroller and extra bags while having the back seats upright so baby can sit safely in carseat
    - Have not scheduled a test drive just yet as we're considering the Kona, Soul, and Niro Ev
    - Will get a L2 charger installed in garage at home

Questions:
    1. Have read mixed reports on hwy driving and massive loss in range. Any other daily commuters here with 80km one way drives @ 110-ish km/h or 70mph? How bad is range loss really? What about impacts in colder weather?

2. Trunk space seems to be a concern. I recently rented a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross and had issues fitting our child's stroller in the back. Supposedly the Eclipse had a bit more space than the Kona. Any Kona owners with kids? If so, thoughts? Is it a major concern or have you found a way?

3. Head room seems to come up a lot. Some owners say the seat levers will and will eliminate any issues for tall people. But to watch out for the Ultimate trim (sunroof further restricts head room). Is this truly a concern for tall people?

4. Pricing in Ontario. We're considering the 2021 Kona Ultimate. Best pricing options? Things I should look out for when buying? Do dealerships have any wiggle room (beyond the $5K grant)?

5. For all Kona owners, what's one of the biggest things you love about the car and one thing you hate? What would you tell a new EV owner to watch out for? Any tips or tricks?

Thank you everyone for your help - I truly appreciate it while I trying find my way in this new EV world

Cheers
    JT

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. (1) Winter driving will have an impact especially at 110 kph, best to slow down if range is an issue. This will impact all EVs, the heat pump included in the Ultimate will help reduce that. Here are 2 threads to start with from Kona EV owners:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/ev-range-highs-and-lows.5364/
    and
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/range-reduction.10360/
    (2) Trunk space is limited in Kona, depends on size of stroller and bags intended to carry. Niro EV has more space. Best advise, take your stroller and bags to dealer and see if they fit to your specific requirements.
    (3) I am not a tall person at 5'11" but I have had no issues with headroom, best to test first if in doubt.
    (5) try these threads to get a better insight from owners posting on this forum:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/things-i-love-about-my-kona-electric.6038/
    and
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/things-i-dislike-about-the-kona.6079/
    Hope this helps.

mho, Lars and Domenick like this.
  4. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

If I were you, I would rather choose the eNiro due to the larger trunk. The previous generation Soul can hardly fit an ordinary folded stroller (after removing the seat / gondola and folding it), some models even require removing the wheels. Don't even think about a double stroller. The eNiro has the largest trunk of the three, and headroom should be fine as well (especially without the sunroof). When it comes to range, even in winter your distance is not a problem, especially if you have an L2 charger at home. Recently, I had the opportunity to commute Kona to work once or twice 70 km one way - even at a speed of 100-120 kph in winter, there was no shortage of range. The convenience should be increased by making space under the hood on the frunk - you will find numerous examples on the web, just enter "Kona frunk" in Google. What I love in Kona? Acceleration right from the bottom and and very confident road behavior (winter tyres Bridgestone Blizzard -- a wonderful piece of gum.

Lars likes this.
  5. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I love my Kona. It’s been a fun and educational experience, and seems like a luxury vehicle after my previous Honda Civic.

However, I wouldn’t recommend it to you for one reason alone: the trunk. There’s no way that this will be sufficient for a young family like yours, with all the stuff you’ll need to be toting. I’m past that stage in my life so it’s not a problem for me, but it simply is too small for you.

As others have said, expect a 30% range reduction in winter, mainly since you will need the cabin heater for kids in the back.

I generally like to keep my battery state of charge between 20% and 80% which limits me to around 170 mi summer, 120 mi winter. Working between 15% to 90% extends this to 210 mi summer and 150 mi winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Lars likes this.
  6. NRH

NRH Active Member

I agree that the trunk is going to be your challenge. Bring your stroller and bags along, and see how it fits. The cargo floor can be lowered 2" by removing it and sliding it into a lower track provided in the sides of the trunk area.

Range is no problem for what you describe. In winter we have no problem getting over 200 mile range with heat on and high speeds. If we pay attention to moderating speed or heat use, we can do better in winter.

I'm 6'1", but have a long torso (need to custom tailor some garments), so probably similar to most people 6'2 when sitting. I'm often uncomfortable driving small cars, but I'm very comfortable in our Kona. (we don't have a sunroof, for what that's worth)

My favorite things are how well it drives - very tight and fast for a family car - and I like the exterior styling.

My one gripe is minor - the heating system is occasionally a bit wonky. Not a big deal, but sometimes it takes some fiddling with the controls.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The trunk space is a huge compromise for a young family. I suppose if you only need space for one car seat you could fold down half of the split back seat to accommodate stroller and bags but again an origami compromise until you get more than one child. I'm same height as you and no problem sitting in the Kona's with or without sunroofs in the seats lowest position, my wife sits in highest position consequentially I always curse Hyundai for lack of memory seating when my wife wants to borrow the car. These days its not an issue as she is just paranoid the car will go on fire and avoids it like the plague, lol.

9. The Kona won't work for you. Too small for both backseat passengers and cargo. You should fit fine at your height. Range wouldn't be an issue for you winter or summer particularly if you have a level 2 home charger. If you can wait you should check out the Ioniq5 or perhaps the Ariya once we get specs later this month. Niro is your best bet of current choices. Model Y?

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  10. NRH

NRH Active Member

Whether it works for you might depend on whether you're a two-car family. Back seat space isn't that bad. We have two teens, and use it all the time to carry all 4 of us. We can all fit in fine with luggage, no problem, but if we're carrying gear (camping, skiing, etc) we take a different car. Add in baby strollers, etc, and you might have a problem. Just depends on how you plan to use it.

11. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Why not buy a Tesla Model Y, if you really need room and you want an electric?

I don't think the Kona Ev brand will survive after this year. You might look into Ioniq 5, if you really want a Hyundai.

Do you guys still get a tax rebate for a Tesla in Canada?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. We love the Kona, have 43000km so far. Super comfy and a lot of fun, faster than any sports car I have ever owned! But.. I wish we had chance to get the Ioniq thats coming out soon. More space and I can tell you from personal experience kids in the car seat in the back can kick your seat all day.
    It is the best commuter car ever and we live 25km from town. I think the Tesla is a decent car, but I dont trust Elon to keep the support coming for those who have already bought one. Google wait times for body parts if you have a fender bender. He seem more intent on moving on to the next great thing than support. Just my opinion and we did seriously look at the 3. We do 95% of our charging at home just because its cheap and convenient. There are several fast charges in town but my friend pointed out that we spent more on coffee while waiting than we gained savings while charging!

PhantomJT and electriceddy like this.
  14. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

I agree with most of the comments here re size: it is a great car, and it is a perfect size for me and my wife (kids are grown and out) and our 23 pound dog. And if you are only driving the kids around town, to sporting events, etc., then it is roomy enough for that. But once you start packing it up, the cargo space fills up very quickly, especially with awkward shaped baby stuff like strollers and port-a-cribs. Rooftop carrier is a challenge (in the US it's a naked roof so no rails to mount it on, and anyway, the box on top apparently cuts into your range significantly). I'm going to put a hitch on mine to hold a hitch-mounted bike rack or hitch-mounted platform carrier, but even that requires a bit of effort since technically speaking the car is not "approved" for a hitch. There are several threads on there about how to put a hitch on if you were to go that route.

But I love the car, have had it 5 weeks and have already taken it on a 1200 mile trip (1200 each way) and it is a pleasure to drive. Not sure I agree with the comment about the Kona not surviving, but who knows. Do we know when the Ioniq 5 is going to make ti to North America?

PhantomJT likes this.
  15. Mileage equivalent the Victoria run and back ~100 times (awesome). Lots of remote areas North Island to "Explore" as well. Great to hear your 2019 is performing fully to expectations:)
    Might be a while before Ionic 5 surfaces here, and also look forward to it's paving the way on our beautiful Island.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  16. Wise advice! Kona is a 'bit' too short on storage for a family with kids - I have need there. (I had to squeeze the boogy board into our already loaded Chrysler van!) :) There are a number of good options this year. I would shop around.

17. Our 2019 Kona EV exceeds our expectations. Here are my responses:

1. Range is higher than advertised. If you are driving around the city, you'll probably only charge it once or twice a week. Running heaters does lower range. The dashboard will have accurate estimates so you can plan accordingly.

2. Regarding the trunk space, if you think the Kona EV is the right vehicle for you, I'd suggest getting a quality stroller that doesn't take too much space when folded. It is easier to get a stroller that fits your CUV than a CUV that goes well with your stroller. For me, the Kona EV is a well built vehicle from a quality brand. It is economical to buy and operate.

3. Head room - Are there any ICE Konas you can sit in to get an idea of how you fit with or without a sunroof?

4. I'm in Texas and purchased the EV from a dealership in New York. I bought a new 2019 in 2021 so they discounted the vehicle $8k. We'll get a federal 7.5k rebate too. I cannot comment on prices in Canada.

5. What I love most about the vehicle is that it accelerates quickly. I also like the Android Auto. Smartphones tend to be better than built in navigation systems. Dislikes are no memory seats or power liftgate. I have a Limited so I miss out on rain sensing wipers. I'd say the Limited is the trim that brings the most value.

I'd like to have better tires even if it sacrifices range. The vehicle has so much torque that these factory tires lose traction when you come off the line quickly. For me, range isn't an issue. Most trips are 10 - 20 km roundtrip, max 120 km roundtrip. Electricity here is under 9 cents / kWh. so I'd trade some range for better traction any day.

Buyers of earlier model Konas will get the batteries replaced. Getting a newly designed, brand new battery in the EV a year or two after purchase will be a plus.

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Can't beat that price, and you are correct on the range higher than expected (given "normal" ambient conditions).
    When you purchased in N.Y. did you drive the vehicle back to Texas? (just curious on the charging experience encountered).
    Great opening post and always favorable news to hear positive feedback...Thank you:)

20. I did a nationwide search then just called the dealer and worked out a deal by email. I never went to the dealership. I ordered a delivery through a transportation broker. They don't sell new Kona EVs in Texas. Buying new was better than used with the Federal Rebate. The dealer said these were hard to sell in the NY winter. Being a new vehicle two years on the lot I timed it just right.

electriceddy likes this.
  21. Sounds eerily similar when I pre-ordered in July 2018 after reading the European reviews...Sight unseen, the transportation was some boat from Korea, and the dealer had no clue about anything really.

mho likes this.
  22. Pobre

Pobre Member

I wouldnt get the Kona now that they do not have the lifetime battery warranty that the 2019 had. I chose the 2019 because of this. but without this, the Kona is too small and would rather get the Mach E or Tesla Y.

23. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

It depends what you consider massive. If you just want to do at least 1 roundtrip and charge at home, you will be more than fine in any weather conditions. I drive about 75Km one way, at a 50/50 mix of about 70km/h and 110km/h (sometimes all at 110km/h if I take another route). In the summer I can do 2 roundtrips easily (300km), in the winter I average about 1.5 roundtrips. I might be able to sneak out 2, but I don't want to risk it. I lose range in the winter due to temperature and turning on the heat. I also prefer having the heat on in the winter, instead of conserving range. I charge to 90%.

As everyone has stated, trunk space might be the main issue. I find it small, however it has met most of my needs. I don't think you'll be lugging any extra large hockey bags for the kids just yet. Might fill your needs until your next vehicle. I can't get my golf bag and clubs in, unless I put down the single back seat. Not a fan of this, but again it works for me.

I don't think Ontario has any provincial incentives, so I would shop other provinces and see if you could get a better deal? BC might have more vehicles to offer better prices. However, go schedule a test drive to see if you even like it!