2022 model sneak peek

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Lainey, Jan 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Maybe because even though they repurposed the shocks from the Countryman (?), the SE has been reported to not ride quite as harshly as lighter 3 doors? (IOW, adaptive dampers considered an unnecessary expense.)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Other possible reasons the SE won't get the "innovative damper technology" could be the added expense to their least-profitable car or that there isn't any space available under the SE for more stuff. Of course, MINI could make it an extra-cost option, but they have been reticent to offer optional variations from the 3 (or fewer) SE packages they offer in each country.

Speaking of options, I don't see the current grey leather/black leather option mentioned as continuing in the 2022 MINI lineup press release. It describes only black leather. Perhaps a later US-specific press release will clear up that question. Maybe US customers desiring black leather seats won't have to pony up the extra $500 that 2020/2021 customers did.

Texas22Step likes this.
  4. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

My guess is like the older dynamic dampers it just simply cannot work on the car the way it is built with the battery and such. Otherwise Mini would make it an extra-cost option I think. Though you have a valid point about not all options available for the SE anyway. At least not without asking. I'm pretty sure I could have done black handles and such even if not offered much like the bonnet stripes.

It will be interesting to see what they offer. I know the light gray leather was not appealing to me at all, but I've had that color before and don't want it again. I did pony up for leather in the Sig+ though because I kind of hate the way the cloth feels. I like having suede accents again too. Much more comfortable than pleather.

5. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

Piano Black vs. Chrome

I'm curious to hear from people who are in on the black-out phenomenon. I'm sort of a chrome-fan, myself, but they are showing these gorgeous pictures of the 2022s with black in so many places.

Is it just the aesthetics? Does a black door handle feel the same as chrome?

6. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

Black leather in California is not great because of the way it heats up under the sun. I like the look, but I know better than to have a black interior where I live.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm personally pro-chrome, I think it's a good highlight look. I've been seeing more and more vehicles of all makes blacked out, and I think pickup trucks look particularly strange blacked out. I'd guess the pendulum will swing away from black-out in a few years, but who knows.

Texas22Step and insightman like this.
  9. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I’m a fan of the blacked out look on the 2022 Mini. But chrome also looks good. I am leaning toward black.

10. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I live in the midwest where we get everything from below zero to nearly 100°F normally in a year. I just learn that parking in the shade is a bonus. I've had light interiors and black - I chose black leather after having black vinyl on the last Mini - my light leather was the car before too. I just opened the sunroof and windows as I was walking up. Now with preconditioning I am not worried in the least about going to black leather again. The light leather as a denim wearer with a kid who constantly is in jeans too is a bad bad idea. Made the mistake once ;) Plus this crosspunch black leather is great. I love the suede accents and how it feels both when it was warm (I tested it on a hot early fall day before deciding when I ordered) and in the freezing cold.

As for chrome vs black out. I personally kept the chrome on my last Mini. I like the look. I am debating myself since I got black wheels, black roof, black mirrors and black bonnet stripes. Though I am reconsidering keeping some chrome to go with the newer pulse spoke wheels though it seems they are only 18 inch - which I'd rather not go above 17 from my past experiences with 17s in a Mini F55S. If they are 18s only then I will go back to blacking out all the chrome and wrapping the grille and the boot handle too. I'll wait to find out real info before deciding. If they do come in 17s I will keep the chrome but still black out the grille and boot handle. All this said I feel they went a little too far with the black accents on the 2022 Mini. I wish the grille edges weren't so... large?

11. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

Maybe consider a window tint? I live in a hot climate and we were only given the black leather interior option. I've tinted my windows and haven't had a problem at all throughout this summer.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. vader

vader Well-Known Member

You can pre condition your car remotely, however that uses battery. Like Tommy, I live in a hot place, this summer we have had quite a few days over 100F (37.7C), and haven't had an issue with the black leather seats. I got the max window tint all round so that probably helps. So does the white roof.

Lainey likes this.
  14. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Yes, pre-conditioning uses battery. Not a huge deal to me. As I said my last Mini had black pleather and no pre-conditioning I know we'll be fine. While I am not hot year round, I am hot and humid in the summer so I get all lovely weather lol. Using a sunshade can also help along with tinting. I have had more black cars with black interiors than I can count. Yes black on black can be hotter, let's be blunt here. When it is 90°F out, the interior of a black or white will be stupidly hot. A few degrees doesn't matter to me. Really though opening the windows and sunroof remotely helps more than people think.

15. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Are you speaking generally, or does the SE have this capability? If so, is it via the app? The fob?

16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I use scheduled climatization* to warm up my car before heading home from work. Even at winter temperatures below freezing it only uses about 2% SoC.

*For clarity, "pre-conditioning" is generally used to refer to warming/cooling the battery pack whereas "climatization" is what MINI calls adjusting the cabin temperature. Since the SE doesn't have battery pre-conditioning it can be confusing to use that term, especially to drivers of other EV models. And "remote start" is right out, since that's an ICE term. :)

17. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

On the fob. It's called "Convenient Opening" where you hold the unlock button to open the windows and sunroof. It is amazing what heat escapes in 10 seconds or so of doing that before entering.

Texas22Step likes this.
  18. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'll have to give it a try. TY!

19. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

To be fair Mini uses preconditioning as a term too. So while it's not what you think necessarily, it's something they use interchangeably.
    Screenshot_20210201-164332_Connected.jpg

polyphonic likes this.
  20. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I'm am no
    I also read in the manual (when you are waiting for a Mini to be manufactured, you read the manual!) that you can hold the button on the door handle to close all the windows and lock the car.

GetOffYourGas and F14Scott like this.
  21. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Yep! Should've said that. It works in reverse too! I read the whole manual I got with my last car. Did a while with this one but doing it again. I like seeing if there are things I missed.

Texas22Step and F14Scott like this.
  22. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

This is a feature of many a modern car. My 2012 Acura TSX does that.

I'm amazed at how it seems like I'm in a different world. Where I come from, only those who are wealthy enough to park in a garage day and night get black cars with black interiors. White is a common color for people who drive around a fair bit. Many places do not have covered parking...

Lainey likes this.
  23. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

To be fair the cheapest level of Minis only come in black vinyl. To me I love heat but look for shade when driving others. When we cannot we just open the roof and windows.

As a parent only wealthy who can afford regular detailing would get light interiors :D