Merry Christmas! Kona won't start - HV error :(

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by TheLight75, Dec 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

My Kona is back on the road! According to the service manager at the dealership, it needed a new 12V battery. He said that the diagnostic was throwing at least 5 diagnostic codes which all went away after they replaced the 12V battery. I'm surprised by this as the 12V battery seemed to be working fine when the Kona refused to go into gear (everything powered up as it should inside the car). While they had it, they also applied the 199 brake logic recall and they checked the brake pads (50% used after 33k miles). Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again.

ehatch and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

After digging around bit, I found this thread which covers the 12V battery issues. Post #308 seems to describe my situation pretty closely. Time to order a battery jump box to keep in the back...

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/12v-battery.5090/page-16#post-115475

electriceddy likes this.
  4. Happy to hear (as I am sure you are as well). Hopefully it lasts.
    I assume they replaced it with one similar to this:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/new-style-12v-battery-or-old-fashioned-malarkey.10176/

5. 50% used seems high. Could it be winter disk rust that wears them out?

6. echeck

echeck New Member

Interesting.. I just had this error happen to me yesterday after unplugging from an EA station.

Had it towed to the dealership and got a Lyft ride home paid for by Hyundai, which was nice. They left me a voicemail a few hours ago and said they have a call in to Hyundai tech line and will be applying this brake recall, which I hadn’t even heard about... I’m curious if they come back with the same fix.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

@TheLight75 light75 I have the same question.50% wear on all your pads? Did the dealership "clean"the rust off the rotor because I find the front ones are bad even though I'm parked inside.Brake pads,mine have zero rust,and barely any wear at 34000km/21000miles due to the regeneration for braking.

9. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

Perhaps? This is the second winter for my Kona. They said the pads are 10mm when new and that mine are down to about 5mm. Most of my driving is highway and I am aggressive which likely beats up on the brakes more than the average. I'll wait to replace them until next summer.

10. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member