Recall 196 now shows on US Hyundai Recall website..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Oct 15, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

If you still had the aux battery option, you didn't have recall 960 done.. Looks like they did both at the same time..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just got my recall update done. Here in Canada it is called 01D076, or at least that is what it says on my work invoice. They updated 4 modules, probably the same ones when they did the earlier BMS update. Took about an hour.

One thing that was interesting at the dealer is they have 20, yes 20, Kona EVs in stock now. Seems like the shortage and long order time is over now. Maybe the news got out about some of these issues, and they are not selling as well anymore.

Will probably do a charge tomorrow or Sun, and maybe get it at least over 80% to see if it pauses.

4. echeck

echeck New Member

I had my update done last Monday, and I’m charging to 100% for the first time right now at an EA charger. Interestingly the Kona stopped receiving a charge at 93% for about five or six minutes. It was still connected to the charger, but no energy was being transferred to the car. I grabbed my phone to stop the charger and be done, and then it kicked on again. Up to 95% now delivering 12kW. I have no idea if that pause was caused by the car, or if it was an issue with the charger..

I’m gonna let it ride to 100%. Hopefully I don’t catch on fire!

Update: it shut off at 98% with 298 miles of range.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Esprit1st likes this.
  5. My car is scheduled for the update this coming Thursday. Since we live in Albuquerque now, there is no dealers with any EV experience. Two of them turned me down saying they are not allowed to work on EVs! (???)
    So I'm booked with the next closest one in Santa Fe. They have no experience either, however I don't have any other options so I am going with it.
    Also I have a 300 mile commute once a week, needing to charge at EA about half way. So I'll report back once I am back on the road.

KiwiME likes this.
  6. FloridaSun

Weird.. This is a software update and should not have anything to do with the type of propulsion.. I'm sure that Hyundai provides detailed instructions how to perform that software update..
    I did mine here in Florida and the closest location that sells Kona EV's is 800 miles away.. However, my local Hyundai dealer has one mechanic certified on the all electric models.

BC-Doc and Esprit1st like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Got back from the dealer just recently. I dropped the car off last night and they had it all day (not like I'm going anywhere anyway!), so I don't know how long the service actually took. The receipt/invoice doesn't mention it. Anyway, home safe and sound and charging from 30% to 80% right now.

The only thing I noticed so far is the max SOC setting was reset to 100% and it was in normal drive mode instead of ECO. I suppose I could check the firmware IDs and see if anything looks updated?

Esprit1st likes this.
  9. Yes, very weird. The lady on the phone didn't even wanted to listen to me when I tried to mention that it's only a software update.

I actually called Hyundai customer service and told them about it, too. They just recommended to try a different dealer.

The one in Santa Fe actually said on the phone that they don't have EV experience but said that they can do it since it's a software update.

There is just some dealers out there that just don't understand business, since I'm a lot less likely to go there now at all. I'd rather take a one hour drive to a dealer who cares about their customers and their satisfaction.

Besides I might just leave an appropriate review on Google ...

10. If it were only a "software upgrade" then I would tend to agree with you, if however it bricks the car because of a failure ( which of course could never happen:eek:), than the only choices would be to have a certified tech travel to the shop or to have it towed to a "certified shop" . Also you could be on the hook for expenses (pardon the pun).
    In the warranty book (2021) it does say, under owners responsibility, "delivering the vehicle during regular business hours to an AUTHORIZED Hyundai dealer to obtain warranty service" but in the towing section, it says" towing assistance will be allowed for delivery of the vehicle to the nearest AUTHORIZED Dealer or AUTHORIZED Hyundai Service Centre in the event that the vehicle is rendered inoperable due to the warrantable failure of a covered component".
    I guess it really comes down to what the notice you received from Hyundai regarding the recall is specifying.

Entirely up to you;)

11. I think it'll be fine. The TSB tells them exactly what to do irrespective if they have "EV training" or not. Good to see a dealer take a punt on an unknown and not just blow you off.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Yeah, but considering there is an inspection of the EV Battery involved, what happens if it needs to be replaced?

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Yes it is good to see a dealer having the initiative, but if it were myself in that situation (especially during these times), I would want to be guaranteed a free loaner from that dealer so I could travel back home safely, should the software upgrade not go as planned, regardless of where the vehicle may have to be sent.;)

15. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

What *should* happen is that they inspect, and if the battery test fails, they tell you they can't replace the battery *before* they attempt to perform any software upgrades. You would still have your car, and then have to find an EV certified dealer to order the battery.

Now in practice things aren't often that neat and tidy. If they had done an update and your car ended up quasi-bricked (like mine was), then the car would likely need to be towed to a dealer that was EV certified.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Which is why ALL dealers should be fully EV certified and EVs should be sold at ALL dealerships.

17. As the adoption curve kicks in, the volume will grow and the dealers will see better return on their training and equipment investment. Hopefully that occurs sooner than later.

18. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Hyundai should make it a requirement to continue being a dealership. Simple, don't get trained or don't sell EVs, you don't get to sell ANY Hyundais.

19. I agree that all dealers should be trained. Especially since Hyundai seems to make such a big deal that they will build all these EVs in the future etc. Unlike other automakers who still seem to think EVs will not take off.

However, since a car is a transportation device it can't reasonably be expected that I drive several thousand miles to get to a dealer. If that was the case dealers not certified should be under a different brand.

Maybe that's what Hyundai is trying to do with the Ioniq brand name?

Well, I've been monitoring my battery with an OBD2 reader since almost day 1. The battery voltage deviation is never more than 0.02 Volt and if it is, it's only for a few seconds until it catches back up.

So fingers crossed everything will work out just fine. I'd hate to drive around in an ice car.

20. FloridaSun

Even most Hyundai dealers that sell EV's don't have the proper battery lift needed to replace the battery and the car would likely have to be brought to a dealer that has one...

21. FloridaSun

Main problem is that Hyundai Corporate is not putting a lot of effort in selling and promoting the car in North America. Most of their efforts are targeting Europe.. US and Canada are secondary markets for them.. They don't want to allocate sufficient cars to the North America market to be able to sell them nationwide, at least at this point..

22. I want to believe that they would probably sell them like crazy. But since there is (currently) no pressure in selling EVs in NA, why bother.

With that being said I don't think any car manufacturer (incl Tesla) would be able to supply enough cars for a high demand situation. Despite the fact that public charging infrastructure is not up to a high EV sales impact.

FloridaSun likes this.
  23. Charged to 82% today, and there was no pause. Will charge to over 90% when I get a chance. I want to do that just before I go on a longer trip, so might be a while. Not driving as much now with more lock downs looming.