BMS update fail...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ericy, Aug 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Indeed. For most people, everything is fine and they hardly even think about it as they go about their daily business... the only people who will bother to take the time and effort to register on a forum or group and write about it are the outliers on either end: the enthusiasts, and those with an axe to grind (whether justified or not.)

EVPower likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Battery has arrived. They have the special coolant (which apparently has a limited shelf life). They have the lift table.

What they don't yet have is a special tool for lifting the battery. That got sent separately, and will be there tomorrow. They allow 4 hours labor for warranty replacement, so the end is in sight.

BC-Doc, Wildeyed, KiwiME and 3 others like this.
  4. This picture might interest you (posted on another forum):
    https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/threads/2019-2020-ev-battery-recall.4377/page-3#post-34849

5. Gjpzee

Gjpzee Member

Hyundai bought back my car today. I had to go to the dealership to sign the papers and coincidentally the car's battery was in the process of being replaced. It looks like they finally got all the parts and the new battery.

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

My dealer told me that the price she saw for the battery was something like 45k$ - essentially MSRP for the car. She had never seen anything that expensive before. Makes those reduction gears seem cheap in comparison.

I never got to the point in the buyback process where they had a dollar figure to put in front of me.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Gjpzee

Gjpzee Member

The service manager told me the same, cost of the battery was $45k.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Wow, at $45k that should make the car worth stealing for parts.

10. Which would explain a mention of $60K (Cdn) as the cost of replacing a pack on a car that had also just been completed due to BMS 960 fail last week at my dealer.
    So enjoy our $50 cars (~remaining value after the pack) while we can:)

11. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I doubt that many cars are affected but I may be wrong.. Let's not forget that there are people who have over 130k km on them and it appears that none of the higher mileage examples have shown any issues... After almost 39k miles/62500 km, my cell variation is still only 0.00 to 0.02 even though my voltage has reached 409 volts at 100% which translates to 4.1735 volts per cell group. Not concerning yet but I'll keep an eye on it.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. And you have a lifetime warranty!!

FloridaSun likes this.
  14. This one (106,880 km - 2nd picture):
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/stopped-kona-after-lasted-bms-update-we-found-7th-cases.9781/
    I think would fit into that higher mileage group.;)

15. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

it sure does.. I should be over 100k km mid next year.. I'm so happy that I have lifetime warranty on the battery.. I'm not really worried about the car blowing up. I will park it outside if I charge to 100% which is not very often.. I do charge to 90% on DC Fast frequently but immediately drive the car when I do.. I arrive at my garage at 85%

16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Tool now won't arrive until Monday, so no car this weekend. Not like I had anywhere to go, but just getting out of the house even to pick up a car is a good diversion.

They seem to be selecting the cheapest and slowest shipping for these things. Currently the thing was upstate somewhere. The dealer does have a tracking number for this one - she said she had to drag it out of them to get that much.

17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

It looks like today is the day that I get the new battery installed. They must have just rolled the car into a service bay - it now responds to BlueLink commands, and I can again see the SOC (hadn't been able to do this since August). Old battery currently has 34% SOC (2 months ago it had 38%). The dealer had told me they would bill Hyundai 4-hours for the job...

Picking up the car will be a little complicated. The car has been down there long enough that the tags have expired. So I need to remember to attach the new stickers. And I have a new phone, so I need to pair the new phone to the car. And one of the very first things I will do is a quick scan with SoulEVSpy, and stop at a DCFC on the way home to verify functionality.

It is likely that the inspection stickers have also expired, but this is a Maryland dealer and I am registered in Virginia, so they can't inspect there. I was contemplating re-registering the car in Delaware - this thing with the battery was holding that up that process as well.

KiwiME likes this.
  18. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I just got the car back, so the saga is over. They were also able to apply the update for the recall, so I won't have to go back for that.

Tomorrow I am going to crawl underneath and look at the stickers on the battery so I can see when it was made.

apu, KiwiME, R P and 2 others like this.
  19. Glad your ordeal is over, look forward to the label info:)

20. You could also be the first in the world to log a charging session 75 to 100% and tell us what happened. My one contact here with the update seems to have vanished...

electriceddy likes this.
  21. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

This, please can you do this? And let us know if any other charging times have changed.

electriceddy likes this.
  22. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

The dealer was kind enough to charge to 100% before I left, so I will have to drive around a bit to get it down to something like 70 as a starting point. Of course these days it is actually kind of nice to get out of the house even if it is for a pointless drive to nowhere. My Juicebox will give a nice graph of a charging session. I might not get to this until the weekend however. The only DCFC around here are 50kW - next week I will be back in DC, and I can go to EA to see how things go on that end.

The one thing they *didn't* do is reset the service reminder. Literally on the way home, I started getting alerts that it is time to bring the car in for 7500 mile service (right as the odometer turned 7500 miles). Hoping that this is something that can just punch into the computer - it is a 1-hour drive to get to the dealer, and another hour back.

KiwiME and electriceddy like this.
  23. I would reset the service reminder manually (I think in the steering wheel settings IIRC). The last time I tried it with Bluelink, the command hung and killed my 12 V battery.
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/12v-battery.5090/page-6#post-96654:(