BMS update fail...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ericy, Aug 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Well, if there hasn't been an order for a battery, then I would say either the dealer or Hyundai is lying about having ordered it. Here is how I would probably approach it:
    1. Explain to Hyundai and the dealer that you reached out to Mobis and they can find no record of a battery being ordered. Ask them for the Mobis order number for the battery and tell them you will reach out to Mobis again to ensure the order number is accurate and confirm when it will be shipped.
    2. If they cannot provide and order number or the order doesn't check out, then one of two options:
      • If you are overall happy with the car aside from the issue, insist on a like replacement from the dealer inventory (or a nearby dealer if none are on the lot) at no additional cost to you.
      • If you are not happy with the car overall, then insist on an immediate by back.
    Be clear about what you want and push for it and push hard.

Gjpzee likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I am sorry to hear about your less than encouraging news. I am really starting to wonder about how Hyundai manages its parts supply network.

4. Gjpzee

Gjpzee Member

I'm not surprised, I felt the dealership and hyundai were not giving me the right information regarding the ordering process for the replacement battery. They are finalizing my buyback offer and I should get it this week. If they lowball I'm planning to fight for a replacement instead. There is a discussion on this in the Facebook Kona page and it seems some people did get a replacement after a long wait time though (3 to 4 months).

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I may wait to see if you get a decent offer before I proceed.

Honestly it would be simpler if they just gave us fair prices for the cars and let us go out and buy whatever we wanted to replace it - trying to get them to replace it just seems like it would make the whole transaction a lot more complicated.

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

The way the dealer put it, they are simply unable to order the part - it has to be ordered by Hyundai. And this matches the information in the TSB - Hyundai themselves has to order the replacement, and it is then delivered to the dealer for installation.

My feeling is that the dealer basically gets no information - the service manager at the dealership has to work through TechLine (they are the ones that in theory would have ordered the thing) but she has already told me that they really tell her next to nothing. My attempts to contact the consumer affairs dept got a similar stonewall - they simply have no information. No ETA - nothing. Just that it is "backordered".

This has really gone beyond anything that either consumer affairs or the dealer can deal with. My next phone calls will need to be to corporate.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and post publicly on their Facebook page, yelp, etc. (stick with the facts on Facebook). Additionally, there is likely a dealership licensing board, report it to them as well. Additionally find an email for someone like the vice president of Hyundai or maybe one or two steps down the executive ladder and email them with your issues. You will get results positive results fairly quickly, either the battery will magically be there in less than a week or they will replace the car, etc. all fair rapidly once you do these things.

Always be polite and kind, never threaten and never make any statements that could be construed as opinion unless you specifically state that it is your opinion.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Any update?

10. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

For me, not much. Called corporate this week to start the wheels in motion.

11. If you don't mind me asking, what is the build date on your vehicle?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I don't recall - I bought it in Oct 2019, so it clearly would have been earlier than this.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Thanks for that, I would have to assume manufacture date prior to Sept. 29/19 as the cut-off date for the recent recall.
    There is the possibility the delay in your new battery replacement arrival may have a direct bearing on the outcome of the investigation currently happening.
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/recall-kona-ev-bms-update-and-20-reduce-cell-capacite.9707/
    I hope for your sake and anyone else in a similar situation that this is resolved sooner than later.;)

15. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I looked once - I thought it was maybe Jun/Jul of 2019, but that's kind of a guess.

I am pretty sure that it is all tied in somehow, but Hyundai doesn't do a good job of communicating (as in they don't tell me anything). It is possible that a lot of stuff is just on hold until they have this situation with the fires resolved (and by resolved I mean both technically, and also deciding what they publicly want to say).

16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Dealer just called - battery has shipped from California. Needs to go by truck across the country (hazmat and all that).

17. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

I hope everything works out for you. At least you finally got a new battery.

18. At my preferred dealer today, there was one on the lift being installed (for the first time). So it appears replacements are indeed being sent and installed. Not sure of any details other than that.

19. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I had honestly given up on the car. I had stopped bothering to check BlueLink for any useful information (the car hasn't been started in a while - last BL update was in late August). I had started the lemon-law buyback process (I didn't expect that to be a fast process - probably 6 or more weeks until the papers were signed). And I had made a reservation on a VW ID.4 (missed the 1st edition, so I wouldn't have a car until next summer). I wasn't wild about having to go down this road - I was quite content with the Kona, the VW is still kind of an unknown, and there would be lots of paperwork. But the months long delays with no meaningful communication from Hyundai was getting rather old, and I was kind of hoping that starting the lemon-law process might light a fire underneath someone at corporate.

So getting the call from the dealer out of the blue was a huge surprise.

I don't have the car yet, of course. Coast-to-coast by truck usually takes 4-5 days. The dealer said there wasn't a traditional tracking number like you would have for FedEx, so I can't track it. And I don't know when it left California either, so maybe it gets to the dealer sometime next week. They already have the lift table. I *hope* they have the special low-conductivity coolant on hand, but that by itself wouldn't be that hard for the dealer to get a hold of.

Installation would take some amount of time - I don't know what they would budget. Give it a day, I guess. That assumes that the battery resolves the problem, of course, but I don't have a reason to think that it wouldn't.

The dealer did say that I would need to come back once they have the remedy for the recall. That's a whole different deal. I think I will sit back and see how that process goes before I go down and get that done.

electriceddy, Fastnf and apu like this.
  20. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

When my Leaf need the battery replaced under warranty, I was lucky, I could keep driving it until the new battery came in. Once the battery was in, I brought the car back in and it took them less than a day to change it.

21. I am very glad to hear that you are finally going get your car back, its a very discouraging experience to say the least. I am really enjoying having my Kona back the last 3 weeks and honestly if I never see my dealer again it would be still too soon. Like yourself I am definitely going to wait and see how things go with this new recall.

22. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Whatever your decision, I really hope things will work out for you. I read up on the VW ID.4 and it is a nice car. It's about the same price for a base Kona EV SEL, but it includes auto-cruise control which I assume is like what you might get from the Ultimate. I think it's also all-wheel drive too. Yeah, really nice EVs are coming out in a few years....hence it is the reason why I didn't wanted to spend too much money as a first time EV adopter. That is why I did not want to buy a $50,000 Tesla to begin with.

As I, and many of you are experiencing, EVs are still having ALOT of problems. From range to battery management to charging to throttle clunking noises to spontaneous fires...all of the car manufacturers still need a lot of work to do, before we can get a relatively reliable, affordable, and long range EV. I am only thinking of keeping my Kona EV for about a few years (around 5) before I will upgrade to a better EV. I wanted to lease the EV initially, but since my commute is 100 miles/day, there is no lease for that....so I have to purchase it. I have no idea that the Kona EV will be having problems like this in less than 2 years. Hopefully in around a few years, they will have better batteries, and have the experience to analyze what they did wrong in their earlier designs....to come out with better vehicles.

Well, best of luck to you.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  23. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

While there are indeed some issues with EVs, they are still far fewer than ICE vehicles have. When you come to forums like this, you ten to get the two extremes, those that have absolutely nothing bad to say about EVs and those that have the problems and are seeking answers to their problems, you don't tend to get the middle ground the vast majority of people have where yeah there might be a minor issue here or there that is resolved within a couple days at a dealership, but even those issues are rare.