Wireless Charging – Qi or Qi2 Power Level?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Mar 28, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I know MINI's wireless charging isn't well-loved, but I do use it and it works fairly well. I can't find any mention of how much output power it provides, though.

I'm still using an iPhone 12, and apparently the latest iOS update unlocked Qi2 charging. I don't know of a decent way to test from my SE, does anyone know of any tech specs anywhere?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

There's no way it's going to be Qi2 because the charger is part# 84106840129 and it's the same charger components since the 2017 BMW i3 and F60 Countryman.

4. Puppethead

Asking about the output power, though.

5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    5W max but it's way less efficient than it should be. If I'm streaming music (CarPlay) it doesn't even maintain a charge. I'm guessing 2W. Even the charging shelf from AliExpress barely maintains a charge when I'm streaming, and if I'm not streaming it charges at about the same speed as my oldest Qi puck.

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I was hoping you would look into the part number, so I wouldn't have to! Anyways, I'm pretty sure the USB module on the center armrest Qi charger is 3A, but I think it's limited to 5V to get 15W max.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

I did look into the part number, and the one you have is showing as not available at Seattle MINI. So I looked around on the site and found the assembly for the SE, but they didn't have active links for specific parts for the charging.

I plugged my laptop into the USB-C port on my SE and it shows 15 W power (bottom section of attached image, the "AC Charger Information"). I always intended to get an actual USB tester but never got around to it.

upload_2024-3-29_15-3-3.png