Why do I always hear Toyota getting bashed for not having EVs, but Honda gets a pass?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mark W, Oct 26, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Hi all,

I constantly hear about how bad Toyota has been with their transition to EVs. Why do I not hear the same about Honda? Does Honda even have anything in the pipeline?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Hasn't Toyota actively been against EVs? Now add their love affair with hydrogen. Perhaps that has something to do with the push-back.

For a number one manufacture, that's a pretty lousy showing.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    Mark W likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Honda didn't think their tiny Honda e would sell in the US, so they asked GM to make them an SUV EV in Mexico, the Prologue (hopefully a prologue to Honda-designed and built EVs):
    upload_2022-10-26_20-12-37.png

Four years from now, the expensive Honda-built Sony Honda Mobility SUV EV will show up.

GetOffYourGas and Mark W like this.
  5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Japan is divided into two incompatible power grids from the post WWII era. One is a 60hz west/south grid (USA) and the other Toyko and beyond 50hz east/north (German). When the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami hit Fukushima, it was an infrastructure nightmare as there was no interconnection between the two grids and the Nissan LEAF was developed to be the V2H solution in 2012.

Toyota probably got burned on the 2012 RAV4 EV joint venture with Tesla back in the day and Honda is banking on GM's modular Ultium architecture.