Waze very buggy on Auto Android

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ozy, Jan 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ozy

ozy Active Member

I am finding Waze to be unusable on Android Auto. Not sure if it's my phone (Samsung Note 5 running Nougat) or something else. I can get the app to come up on the head unit, but it usually displays a frozen screen when it starts (something about "proceed to highlighted route"). After a while the frozen screen goes away and I see the car moving on the screen. However, it freezes constantly and for long periods of time. Today I noticed something unusual while it was frozen: when I press the Waze icon on my phone's screen it unfreezes the waze on the head unit. However, after a few minutes it freezes again. Google maps does not seem to have these issues. Anyone have similar problems with Waze? Any way of getting around this? I like Waze better in situations of heavy traffic avoidance but it's really unusable on my Android Auto.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Waze has never worked for me, AA or not, on three different phones. It always hangs and takes minutes to respond to every touch. What is the benefit of Waze over the normal Google Maps?

4. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I don't like Waze either, but the thing I dislike about it is an important feature for other folks. You get more input on road conditions and events from other drivers. I found it annoying that Waze was constantly telling me that there was a car parked on the side of the road when in fact by the time I got there it had been moved ... not that I particularly cared in the first place.

But options are good. Pick the app that best meets your personal needs.

5. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Agreed. Until a year ago I was a big fan of Waze, but Google's acquisition of Waze was followed (causal?) by improvement in traffic reporting by Google Maps, and the "noise" from Waze because tiresome. The better performance/stability of Google Maps on AA converted me fully.

Sent using Inside EVs mobile app

6. ozy

ozy Active Member

I agree also. However, every once in a while comparing the two is very valuable. Last month I was on my way to an event in one of the canyons north of Beverly hills. I encountered horrific traffic on the way there and consulted with google maps which indicated that I should crawl along for miles with everyone else. However, Waze gave me what initially seemed a bizarre and unfamiliar route. It directed me to retrace my steps for a mile or so, head into some private neighborhoods, go around a maze of small streets etc. Long story short, it helped me to bypass a nasty traffic jam that Google maps was unable to do. On the other hand, Waze also has the tendency to suggest weird alternatives that don't always make sense. For example, it routinely directs me to drive perpendicularly across major boulevards in Los Angeles which are practically impassable when there's no traffic light. As an interesting aside: I used Waze in Israel (where it was invented) and it works absolutely flawlessly there. Every citizen in Israel uses nothing but Waze and therefore the reported information is 100% accurate all the time. So Waze works better in markets where there are enough users to make the information reliable.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Chris Messer

Chris Messer Member

I use Waze everyday to and from work. It works the majority of the time. Once in a while it will hang and I have to disconnect and reconnect my phone, but that happens on other apps as well.