Using Vehicle PHONE without Cell Phone Connected?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tim94549, Feb 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I'm a bit confused how this is supposed to work.

If I do NOT have my Cell Phone connected to the car (BlueTooth or Android Auto), are Phone CONTACTS supposed to work? That is should I be able to make a Call without my PHONE connected? Are my (downloaded) CONTACTS supposed to be in the car's Memory to be able to access?

Reason I ask is that I get intermittent weird error msgs about "not being connected to bluetooth" .. But every once in a while it seems to work - but not necessary with ALL my phone's contacts... Thanks in advance.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. No, you can't make calls if you're phone's not connected. Downloaded contacts do live locally and might be visible without your phone connected but are not actionable.
    For nicer car/phone integration, connect with a cable and enable phone screen projection. Great for navigation too.

4. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Cellular calls require a SIM card to connect you to your ISP’s network - the Kona doesn’t have one built-in. Hence the Bluetooth connection to your phone is needed for direct calling or Android Auto.
    Your error messages may therefore be telling you that your phone is buried at the bottom of your bag, causing the connection to intermittently drop out.

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

The Kona in the US (and I presume Canada) seem to have some sort of SIM card somewhere. That's how BlueLink communicates. And it shows dynamic status of chargers (if the info is available) - I believe it gets that from the cellular data network.

But as far as I know we have no ability to use it for muh of anything else.

6. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

BlueLink doesn't have some sort of SIM card that plugs in, it is embedded telematics software that utilises CDMA cell networks, so the car needs to be within cellular range. Hyundai defines what you can do with it...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member