Tyres are so different, why?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by zellsun, Aug 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. zellsun

zellsun Member

Based on the shared spreadsheet, the tyres are so different, different brands, even the same brand but different model?
    Why?
    Which is the best?
    Mine is Hankook Ventus S1 evo3

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

How do you define best?

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Best for frozen lake ice racing of course!

GetOffYourGas and chrunck like this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Some forum members (@Carsten Haase), didn't think the OEM tyres were sticky or stiff enough and went stickier/stiffer. I've never experienced summer tires before and was blown away by my Hankook Ventus EVO 3s. One thing that surprised me is how they're not prone to squealing when I crank hard around corners. I like that almost as much as how quiet my SE is when I punch the accelerator for a quick burst of accleration in the middle of a block.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    polyphonic likes this.
  6. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

You only have one pair of shoes?

Rogwp likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Manufacturers will specify specific requirements for all the parts to be used in manufacturing vehicles, including tyres. To manage costs and parts availability, they will often select multiple sources (usually suppliers they have existing business/good relationship with).

For the SE, BMW/MINI selected tires with the best (lowest) rolling resistance scores from their preferred tyre manufacturers. And high-performance, non-run flat summer tyres are generally the best option to meet their performance (and cost) requirements.

The brand/model that meets their requirements for 17" tyres won't be the same as 16" tyres--maybe because the manufacturer doesn't make that model in both sizes, maybe because the rolling resistance value for the same model is only good enough in one size but not the other.

They probably buy the tyres in batches, according to whichever has the best cost and/or availability at the time of purchase. (Or maybe there are contractual agreements about how many they'll buy and when.).

9. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I have not tried any tires but the OEM Hankook summers, and I love them. I don't know how many miles I will get out of them, but I am likely to purchase a new set as soon as required.

insightman, MichaelC and SameGuy like this.
  10. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

My red signature came with 16" hankooks. my blue signature plus has 17" goodyear F-1s.

The best ones are always the ones that I currently have. I often have this argument with a good friend who is positive the best ones are always the ones he currently has. Once he switched to what I had and we both had the best at the same time. Then I switched and he of course was wrong.

MichaelC and DisgruntledSanta like this.
  11. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Same. I have also run the Michelin CC2, and Michelin PS A/S 3. The Hankooks never make a peep! It’s a great all-rounder for the SE and my favorite (so far) by a wide margin.

12. To remove this ad click here.