Trip report: Huntsville-to-Beau Rivage

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Oct 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Great time, scenario:
    • Huntsville to Birmingham, 107 mi - the hated gate for parking is gone. Superchargers worked great but extra Teslas slightly slowed charging Model 3. Coffee shop at hotel had pricy 'treats' but three shot espresso, $3.
    • Birmingham ($9.28) to Greenville, 133 mi - the Cracker Barrel service speed matched the charge rate of this often over subscribed 125-150 kW, 6 stall charging station. By the time I sat down for lunch, the car was fully charged to a SuperCharger limited 80% and I had to move it to avoid idle fees.
    • Greenville ($4.35 + $5.51, moved for speed) to Mobile, 129 mi - the Mobile Target is open 8 AM to 9-10 PM with bathrooms and groceries. Needed a short charge to reach Beau Rivage.
    • Mobile ($2.32) to Beau Rivage, 60.2 mi - three stall, Tesla distribution EVSE fully charged car overnight.
    • Beau Rivage to Greenville, 185 mi - arrived with 7 mi estimated miles remaining. Just as I started eating Cracker Barrel lunch, charging stopped at 80% and I had to move car to avoid idle fees.
    • Greenville ($14.68) to Birmingham, 133 mi - coffee shop and restrooms to our relief. The hated gate is gone ... for now.
    • Birmingham ($11.89) to Huntsville, 106 mi - over charged, we arrived with 70 miles indicated.
    We left with $1,000 'gambling money' and arrived home with ~$1,300. Stephanie learned basic craps (and loves it.) Unlike the slot machines, craps is a party as we are playing against the house, not each other.

Other than the over subscribed Greenville SuperCharger that twice stopped at 80%, everything was easy. No cards or calls to support. It was fast enough we often left early for each segment. Quite a contrast to our experience as recent as August with a 2014 BMW i3-REx and CCS-1, fast DC chargers.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    gooki likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.