Topping canoes on an electric vehicle (a review)

Discussion in 'General' started by hokkaidowilds, Oct 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. hokkaidowilds

hokkaidowilds New Member

This post features a 2019 Nissan Leaf (40kWh) we borrowed recently, but applies to electric vehicles across the board I think.

The canoe-topping torture-test: https://hokkaidowilds.org/2019-nissan-leaf-g-review-the-battery-torture-test-summer

We don't own an electric car, but are looking into it. Hence borrowing a Leaf for three days to see if we could use it just like we use a petrol car.

So we put two 16-foot Canadian canoes on the top, and drove 400km at around 100km/h. Long story short, we should have either a) borrowed the 62kWh version, b) drove slower, or c) both of the above.

[​IMG]

We live in Hokkaido, Japan's northern-most island. We were loaned a 2019 Nissan Leaf (40kWh) for three days by a local dealership as part of Nissan Japan's extended test drive campaign.

We put two Canadian canoes on the roof and drove 200km north to a lake, on the expressway at 100km/h.

Oh how we wished for the 62kWh version of the car.

Stating the obvious, at this speed, with that amount of aerodynamic drag, the range was pretty low (about 120km). Below is a simulation of driving time vs charging time for that 212km journey we took. Based on this, we should have been driving at around 70-80km, and we'd have arrived at our destination sooner.

[​IMG]

Full blog post review with interactive versions of the simulations here: https://hokkaidowilds.org/2019-nissan-leaf-g-review-the-battery-torture-test-summer

We loved the car for the amount of room it has though. Absolutely perfect for our needs. Just a pity that in Hokkaido where we live, 75% of electricity is generated using fossil fuels. The Leaf ends up emitting less CO2 than a similar petrol car, but still is not "Zero Emissions" as Nissan claims (at least where we live).

[​IMG]

interestedinEV and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Even though Canadian canoes are the among the most finely contoured in the world , the aerodynamic drag will still have a major affect .
    Unfortunately the only solution is more kWh as you stated.
    I owned 2 Leafs (gen 1 - 24 and 30 kWh) before my Kona EV and I miss the interior space and the ride comfort they had.
    Rapidgate steered me to the larger pack c/w TMS (only one available other than Tesla and the uncomfortable Bolt at the time).
    Thanks for the informative post and detailed blog, beautiful camping location.
    Welcome to the forum :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    interestedinEV likes this.
  4. hokkaidowilds

hokkaidowilds New Member

Thanks @electriceddy. I'd heard on a separate forum for the first time about "rapidgate" just yesterday. We were charging on the rapid chargers here in Hokkaido at about 15-17kWh per 30 minutes. So about 30kWh per hour. Apparently that is quite slow?

5. Kona peaks at 78 kW , but mostly averages 48kW depending on the SOC.
    With my old Leafs I could quite easily reach 120 degrees pack temp on successive fast charges which Nissan decided to protect their ***-sets by reducing the rate.