Tire pressure and exterior lights

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Kingemail, Nov 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kingemail

Kingemail Member

Can anyone tell me where in the menu on the car dash, I can find what the current pressure of my tires are? I been looking in all the menu and can't find it. Is it on honda link app too?

Also, I notice at night when I turn off my headlights but keep my car on, that the parking lights stay on. Is there a way to turn those off?

Is there also a way that headlights turn off automatically when I call it a day and park the car at night, instead of having to manually switch them off! I usually turn the lights on all the way to where I it won't switch anymore, if that makes sense

Thanks for your help!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

"Can anyone tell me where in the menu on the car dash, I can find what the current pressure of my tires are? I been looking in all the menu and can't find it. Is it on honda link app too?"
    Does not exist. And not on the app either. I added a Vesafe TPMS system t the car. It works great.
    "Also, I notice at night when I turn off my headlights but keep my car on, that the parking lights stay on. Is there a way to turn those off?"
    Not that I know of. Daytime running lights are a safety feature.
    "Is there also a way that headlights turn off automatically when I call it a day and park the car at night, instead of having to manually switch them off! I usually turn the lights on all the way to where I it won't switch anymore, if that makes sense"
    They will turn off after a few seconds.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Just to elaborate, the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) in the Clarity does NOT measure tire pressure at all. As such, it is impossible to obtain tire pressures from the vehicle. The system relies on the fact that when a tire loses pressure, the diameter changes slightly. By comparing the rotational speeds of all the tires, the computer can detect when a tire is rotating at a different speed than the others. There are several disadvantages with this type of system.

First, if all tires gradually lose pressure evenly, it will not be detected.

Second, there is a requirement to manually 'calibrate' the TPMS. This involves making sure the tires are all at the desired pressure and then running a calibration from a menu in the head unit.

Finally, if a tire does go low, a warning message appears, but there is NO indication as to which tire caused the fault. You just have to check all of them

Some have added an aftermarket system to actually measure tire pressures (@Groves Cooke mentioned one such system).

JFon101231 likes this.
  5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Am I missing something? The headlights turn off automatically if you just leave the switch in the Auto position...

6. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I believe the headlights will turn off after some time regardless of the headlight switch position as long as the car is turned off.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yep. Mine have been on Auto for 15 months.

JFon101231 likes this.
  9. The wonderful convenience of “dumb” “smart” technology.

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

One benefit is you never have to replace an expensive tire-pressure sensor. However, it seems that the system should be smart enough point you to the tire that's rotating at a different speed than the others.

JFon101231 likes this.
  11. They’re $10-20 each.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

This is probably my favorite add-on for the car...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q5ZFG4F
    Since it is solar charged, if I drive the car at all, it stays charged. During Covid, I have plugged it into usb once when it was discharged after being parked in the basement for probably a couple of weeks...

cyberteen likes this.
  14. insightman

Oops, I was lazy and looked only at the $39 genuine Honda TPMS sensors on Amazon. Then I'd have to pay someone to change it, too.

15. Even $39 won’t break the bank. If they last 5-7 years and maybe only need a battery replacement it would be worth the risk.

How much did Honda waste on the current, useless, tire rotation differential system?

16. insightman

Rather than useless tire-rotation differential hardware, isn't the Clarity's TPMS just useless software reading the wheel-rotation sensors already there for HondaSensing purposes?

17. MrFixit

Although I like the thought of this, I have not tried them because of a few concerns.
    Any comments on the following?:

1. You are no longer using the Schrader valve as the seal. It is just a rubber interface against the metal stem, dependent on torque to seat. Not as robust of a seal and may tend to leak.

2. The one in the link above seems clunky. It is close to an inch diameter and 5/8" tall. Could this affect your wheel balance, or am I being anal? I would not want to have the wheels re-balanced after adding this.

3. It is a little less convenient to add air (you need a tool to loosen jamb nut). Or maybe just don't use the jamb nut. Of course if it backs itself off you will loose air before it flies off - it will warn you though !

edit: I just saw one of these that actually provided the weight of the sensor (9 grams). Maybe this is not significant in the scheme of wheel balance? It looks like stick-on weights used for balancing are 1/4 oz each (7 grams) so maybe you could just stick one of these weights on the opposite side to compensate.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  18. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

"1. You are no longer using the Schrader valve as the seal. It is just a rubber interface against the metal stem, dependent on torque to seat. Not as robust of a seal and may tend to leak."

I have not had any leakage issues.

"The one in the link above seems clunky. It is close to an inch diameter and 5/8" tall. Could this affect your wheel balance, or am I being anal? I would not want to have the wheels re-balanced after adding this."

I have over 30,000 on the original tires and no wear patterns that would suggest a balance problem. I expect to get a least another year (12,000 miles) on these tires.

"It is a little less convenient to add air (you need a tool to loosen jamb nut). Or maybe just don't use the jamb nut. Of course if it backs itself off you will loose air before it flies off - it will warn you though !"

A little less convenient, but I can loosen and tighten the jam nut with my fingers. Have not lost any of the sensors.

As far as warning, I have had the car's built in TPMS system tell me I had a tire pressure problem when there was none. I just recalibrate and drive on. It would be more inconvenient to have to check every tire with a gage.

Obviously there is no right or wrong answer here but as a personal choice I like being able to see at a glance the individual tire pressure, I guess I was spoil by this feature on my previous Honda vehicle, an Acura TL.

Robert_Alabama and MrFixit like this.
  19. It may be. I wouldn’t call it a TPMS. For the purpose of acting as a TPMS, it is useless.

20. MrFixit

@Groves Cooke - Thanks.
    I totally agree that pressure readings are vastly superior to the Honda mechanism.
    I may give this a try. There is nothing permanent about it, and they are quite reasonably priced.

21. I have mine on/not auto and they turn off in about 15 seconds. Great for a dark area and needing some light to see/be safe.

I have a TPMS like mentioned earlier and leave it in the garage. If I do long trips it goes in the car.

22. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

23. There are a number of aftermarket TPMS’s available. Some fit on the ends of the valve stems, others replace the original valve stems.

The type that fit on the ends come in a couple of varieties. One style is a flow through sensor that allows the pressure to be adjusted, increased or decreased, without removing the sensor. The other type requires removal of the sensor. Pressure can be measured by either using a gauge or replacing the sensor and waiting for the display to show the readout for that tire. The anti-theft device is typically a free spinning cover that goes over the sensor. It does require the little wrench to remove, or the cover can be removed and the sensor alone can be left on the stem, which makes it a bit lighter. This is as easy to remove as a valve stem cap.

We use non-flow through sensors on our motorhome and the vehicle that we tow behind the coach, 10 sensors in all and we carry 2 spares. I have removed the anti-theft devices. One advantage to these sensors is that they create a seal at the end of the stem. We had a valve stem extension malfunction on the motorhome, it wouldn’t close, so the tire would not hold air once the tire chuck was removed from the stem. Fortunately, a bit of additional air could be added and the sensor quickly threaded on, which sealed the leak and held air in the tire until we could have it repaired.