The tsunami of electric cars in Europe to include more Kona

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jonathan in France, Feb 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jonathan in France

Jonathan in France New Member

This is supposed to be the year of the Big Bang in European EV sales. With it, a new era for Kona Electric.

Inside and outside EU (Eg UK, Norway) we’re promised new models and expanded availability of electric vehicles including new ones from BMW (MINI), VW, Honda, many others. None of these has visibly arrived yet, although the roll-out has started and will certainly accelerate as Europe’s goverments incentivise EVs and punish ICE manufacturing. The electric surge is most visible in Holland, where the Kona Electric is suddenly the best selling EV this year, as Hyundai is finally getting to grips with demand, although so far only in one market. There are still long waiting lists elsewhere in Europe.

Here in France, where electricity is mostly nuclear, the Kona can be topped up at home for 5 Euro.

The empirical evidence for the EV boom: I see electric cars every day now, which I didn’t a year ago.

Even though nearest Tesla store is in Aix, on the other side of the Rhone, they include Model S, X and recently several Model 3s, plus Leaf, i3, iON, one Audi (zero Jaguars), and of course overwhelmingly Zoë. I have seen only one other Zoe Electric in the wild in France. Hyundai suppled 41, in all of France, in December.

The Kona Electric was recently advertised on TV, and near-zero supply is about to be improved with production at the Hyundai plant in Czech Republic, apparently using LG cells made in Poland. There is now small ‘used’ market for the car on European web sites.

We do not have firm numbers yet on production which is bound to be battery constrained. But the Kona Electric I believe is headed towards a much more prominent (and deserved) prominence in Europe. Finally.

Beating even the Model 3 in Holland https://ev-sales.blogspot.com/2019/03/netherlands-february-2019.html shows what could be possible for this vehicle, if Hyundai can build them.

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

When it comes to Europe, the future of none European EV's will depend a lot on the cost of charging. Ionity is changing their rates to kwh and their standard price is 79 cents/kwh. Ionity has sweetheart deals for cars of the brands who actually own IONITY. I wonder what the rates for Hyundai or Kia will be?? It can destroy their market share if they are unable to get similar deals for their cars to charge at a cheaper rate. It almost appears as if their new pricing structure is an attempt to hurt their competitors in the European EV market.. Ionity is owned by BMW, Daimler, Ford and Volkswagen Group..

4. Hyundai and Kia joined ionity. So there will probably be deals as well.

Jonathan in France likes this.
  5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

6. Jonathan in France

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jonathan in France

Yes you’re right but the picture is changing. I think Holland definitely distorted in 2019 by tax changes. But this year I suspect the trend will continue.

9. Jonathan in France

Correction: I meant to say, I have seen only one Kona in the wild. There are loads of Zoës.

10. Jonathan in France

I think drivers will be forced to go electric whether they like it or not.

11. And it kind of makes sense. All that stuff that comes out of the tailpipe and good right into your lungs. Cities that have smog ...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jonathan in France

It makes Total sense in France with carbon neutral (mainly nuclear) energy. Good everywhere for cleaner urban air. Burning coal to generate electrons for cars is not optimal.

14. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see what rates Hyundai and Kia will get...

Esprit1st likes this.
  15. Definitely, however even burning coal to generate electrons is probably cleaner than all the ice cars, plus trucks transporting gasoline all over the place.
    Definitely not saying burning coal is good though. I much prefer harvesting from the greatest source of energy of all ... (And other green options)

16. Jonathan in France

As we know, no source of energy is without cost...

17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

My sense of this is that what Ionity is really doing is putting the squeeze on the auto manufacturers to get funds to help pay for the chargers. If the manufacturer doesn't pay something, then the end users get stuck with a big bill, and the car manufacturers have a harder time selling cars.