The most states driven through in one day in an EV?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mark W, Jun 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Hi everyone,

I am interested in kind of a crazy idea. A while back, I saw an article when some guys visited 22 states in 24 hours. https://www.businessinsider.com/gunnar-garfors-visits-22-states-in-24-hours-2015-9

I want to do something similar. It probably won't happen because I don't think I could find someone else dumb enough to put themselves through that with me, but it has me intrigued. I've seen a number of articles on different similar trips. My trip would not involve any air travel like some have. Then I was thinking, I wonder what the most someone has done in an EV has been. I googled briefly, but didn't find anything definitive. Has anyone heard of anyone doing an EV trip like this? Maybe you could hit 15 in one day with the right EV and the right route?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. LDB415

LDB415 New Member

It would have to be a trip in the NE. I'm a Houstonian. There's a traveler's saying when crossing our state, "The sun has riz, the sun has set, and here I is, in Texas yet". It's about 885 miles to cross Texas. If you start at exit one in Maine heading south and go 885 miles you wind up a few miles into South Carolina and drive in 13 states.

For your idea one option would be to go through ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD and WV with a stop at Minard's Spaghetti Inn at the destination for the best lasagna in the history of cooking indoors.

Clamps and Mark W like this.
  4. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Yeah, I'm in CT, so it would be doable for me. I have a Bolt and Ioniq EV, so neither of them would work for a long road trip. I would have to rent something. Renting a Tesla or Ioniq 5 would be pretty darn expensive I think, if I could even find one.

5. LDB415

LDB415 New Member

I thought the Bolt had ~250 mile range and really fast charging on level 3. I just a few minutes ago read the Bolt is dropping $5900 in price for 2023. I may have to add it to my suspects list with that good a new price.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

upload_2022-6-4_6-14-24.png
    Source:

A peak of 50 kW is about as fast as our 2014 BMW i3-REx. In 2016, we found this was about 4x the charging cost at Electrify America/EVgo compared to using premium gasoline for highway travel.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    As Bob showed, the Bolt has a comically bad charging curve. It was serviceable in 2017 when it came out, but in 2023, it's really bad. Now if you don't do many long road trips, then it's a fine car. I don't do many long road trips, so it's perfectly fine for me. That price drop is very enticing.

For the road trip I described above, it won't work at all. Stopping every 2 hours or so to charge for 40 minutes won't work.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  9. LDB415

LDB415 New Member

I don't know enough yet to know what that chart is showing. Lots to learn.

10. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    In looking at this a little more, I think the most states possible may be 15. Starting in Brattleboro VT, and going through NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, WV, VA, NC, and TN? The only reasonable way I see to rent an EV to handle this trip is to rent a Model 3 Long Range from Turo. I'd like to try an Ioniq 5, but I don't think there is anywhere to rent one.

11. LDB415

LDB415 New Member

There's one flaw in the plan. In WV you need to be able to go to Minard's Spaghetti Inn for lasagna. Delicious food and a very interesting story of 2 brothers who married 2 sisters and evolved into this multi-generational gem.

Mark W likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Does anyone have any suggestion on where to post to try and find what the EV record is for states in a day?

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Join CleanMPG.com and ask. Those folks are interested in awards and records.

Bob Wilson

Mark W likes this.
  15. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I wish there was a way to search Turo without a location, or at least to search by a region. I want to search for an Ioniq 5 in the northeast, but have to keep putting each city separately. Also would like to search without a date.