Swappable EV Batteries - Fisker & Ample in 2024

Discussion in 'General' started by Ted Spradley, May 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:

What do you think about battery swapping?

1. You are delusional. Swapping will never happen.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It only makes sense for heavy trucks.

50.0%
  3. It will never work because I NEED to own the battery in the car.

50.0%
  4. Swapping is the best thing ever.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ted Spradley

Ted Spradley New Member

Ok, I'm prepared to take more arrows in my back on this. Fisker has announced delivering vehicles with swappable batteries in 2024 from California company Ample. Almost every single discussion and video in the EV space is about charging because it is so hard to jam the electrons into these batteries at a speed that allows away from home charging stops equivalent to refueling with fossil fuels. Battery swapping makes all of that go away. It also opens up many more locations to development because the grid connections don't have to be as high power connections.

New battery chemistry? Swap in the new chemistry battery on your next swap. Battery degradation? Not a worry. Batteries slow charge in swap stations. Also, battery packs are constantly monitored and maintained by the swapping network or manufacturer.

It's not just Fisker. CATL, the worlds largest EV battery manufacturer, is staking a large part of their business on swappable batteries. https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1134784_catl-rolls-out-one-minute-ev-battery-swapping-solution-entire-business-around-it

Adding to the business case is for battery stations to participate in supplying grid services. Long distance heavy transport? Solved with battery swapping. I know that A Better Place and Tesla started battery swapping but the time to start battery swapping is yesterday. Even with coming solid state and other chemistries delivering faster charging times, battery swapping is still viable.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1139558_fisker-plans-to-bring-swappable-batteries-to-ocean-ev-by-2024

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

What's the capital cost? I think you will have a hard time making a case for it profit wise unless the government pays for the stations.

Ted Spradley likes this.
  4. Ted Spradley

Ted Spradley New Member

I think that is a great question. Considering the billions in capital available right now through DOE Loan Programs Office and the IRA, now is the time.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Swappable batteries will create new careers for catalytic-converter thieves.

Puppethead likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I need predictable performance, especially on cross-country trips. Swapping the batteries means each new one is a 'pig in a poke.' Even with battery pack, performance metrics, if I get a marginal battery, do I pay for another battery swap?

If battery swapping gets an ICE owner into the EV world, the logistics of dealing with battery swapping sites will soon enough teach valuable lessons ... and buy a Tesla. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

The government isn't going to pay for the stations unless there are standard size batteries and battery management.

So one issue that is currently causing issues is that even with a current CCS standard, is that folks are still having issues due to how the standard is implemented by different manufactures.

If this where to work at all, like hydrogen, it would most likely limited to muni-busses, fleet service, and long distance trucking.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradtempleton/2021/03/03/ample-launches-new-battery-swap-for-evs-that-could-avoid-the-failures-of-previous-ventures/?sh=318bcf5a2d3d

9. I think some kind of subscription service with swappable cars would be a better solution, esp for ride services. Having said that with the newer 800v cars, the faster charging speeds will further alleviate the need for these. And if and when we get solid state batteries, all these swappable charging stations would be obsolete.

bwilson4web likes this.