Strut tower reinforcement?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CuriousGeorge, Dec 15, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Not an SE-specific question, but then again perhaps relevant because of the greater mass than the ICE version, and the fact that J01 may not suit everyone's desires...

I stumbled across threads describing occasional problems with "mushrooming" of the strut tower of the F56. Can anyone here tell me how common this might be for a non-modified daily driver? (Yeah, I know, only MINI probably knows for sure.) Would installing aftermarket plates be worth it as cheap insurance?

I have no idea how long I might keep my SE, but I have >150k miles on my prior car, so am pondering long term just in case.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

This was a R50 and R52 problem. I’ve not seen it with F series cars including my own and client cars. My F55 has had lowering springs for 3 years and the towers are still fine.

4. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply.

I saw one report of somebody whose (non-modified, apparently non-abused) F56 that had the issue, but as you say, it mostly seems to be prior generations.

That said, for $75 or so, it's tempting (especially if I could get them in the right shade of yellow to add a bit of hidden bling ).

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My SE is my second F56, putting over 50,000 miles on the two of them. No issues with that, and my first F56 was a 2015 so it was an early model.