Spontaneous drop in HV range

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Danks, Aug 1, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Danks

Danks Active Member

After our last fillup we had 341 HV mile range. We have not used any gas, no ICE running. Still full bars for fuel. Yesterday we noticed that the HV range had dropped to 314. Our EV range has been steadily climbing to just under 60 now. Not alarmed about it, just wondering if anyone else has seen this. I'm thinking it may be related to our changing our driving pattern to get better EV range - less freeway, more surface streets. Wondering if it has recalculated using the more recent data and come up with the lower range.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Perfectly normal... These estimates are just that - estimates. They can change based on recent driving habits.
    Many complain about their inaccuracy, but I find them to be perfectly adequate.

You will find EV ranges can vary greatly seasonally. 50's or 60's in the summer, but in the winter, you may drop into the mid-30's depending on the temperature and how much heat you are using. The A/C is a much smaller drain on range than the heater.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Like @MrFixit says, it’s normal. Based on my experience when I had to disconnect the 12v battery to install an air horn, it took 3 to 5 charge/drive cycles to return to my previous EV estimated range. So I think it’s looking back over the last several charge/drive cycles to calculate the anticipated range. The next time you do some HV driving, it will get even more accurate.

5. Danks

Danks Active Member

I expected changes in HV range. I just wasn't expecting them to occur in the middle of a tank when we haven't used any HV since filling up.

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Mine did that once in the rear and a half I’ve had it. I have no idea why, what triggered it, or what caused it to happen before the next HV driving cycle.
    The only conjecture I can throw out is that perhaps a few short ICE runs due to System Checks and/or limited regen w full battery used just enough fuel to affect the calculation but not enough to lose a bar on the gauge. But that’s just a WAG. Really don’t know.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Danks

Danks Active Member

I know it has been a while, but I think we figured out what caused the drop in HV range we experienced. I noticed that it was happening after my wife filled up the car. I checked with her to see if she was turning the gas cap until it clicked. She wasn't. She was recovering from a broken wrist and couldn't with one hand and didn't know she needed to. We have not experienced any of the drop in HV range since then other than the occasional engine system check.