Sound emitted when turning steering wheel

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by azausa, Feb 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Why is the SE emitting a metal grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel?

I have the video with the sound, but it seems I cannot attach a video here.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The video was probably rejected because it would make other forum members cringe.

Does it make the noise when your SE is stopped? Does it make the noise throughout the full range of the steering? Is there any part other than the steering rack that could be the problem?

azausa likes this.
  4. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

If it's just when turning the wheel that's 100% not normal. Maybe a stone in the brakes, a bad bearing, etc.

azausa likes this.
  5. Yes, it makes the noise when stopped and also when moving

No, it makes the noise almost the end of the range

The steering is quite fine, though I noticed that the SE pulls a bit to the left.

Other than that, the SE performed great yesterday at hairpin curves at 100kph, the response was really good, though slightly bumpy on not good roads which I could attribute to the run flats.

6. Been reading google, yup they said it could be a bearing or the bushing or a failing cv joint or the brakes or just the power steering fluid needs a top up. With our SE only a year & 5 months old, hopefully it’s only the power steering fluid.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If the noise happens when the car is stopped, it can't be a bearing, bushing, brakes, or CV joint, can it? The power steering fluid is the most hopeful possibility.

azausa likes this.
  9. I guess so, as when the SE is at stop, there is no movement against the bearing, bushing or brakes.

Have reached out to the dealer, hopefully it is only the power steering fluid. If so begs the question, does the power steering fluid in an SE needs topping up every year?

10. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Isn't the power steering electric on these, like the MGF?
    Upload your video to YouTube.

11. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    It’s assisted, but I’m pretty sure the linkages are mechanical!

ETA: Oh I see what you meant! Duhhh disregard my input! Yes I don’t think there’s fluid involved in our EPS operation.

azausa likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

If you try to have some answers what is going with your steering wheel your descriptions should be precise .This happen if a car is stationary or you driving that make big difference you did not describe.Car that young shouldn’t have any mechanical issues that drastic.Could be as simple you parking on gravel and you turning steering wheel rapidly left -right creating noise or your tires collect pebbles after driving on gravels and you can hear grinding noise moving a steering wheel.

14. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

FA9B7038-2E9A-4B2D-BD6E-2189D6189E74.jpeg 5A157937-C924-4667-A4B7-859F847A43CA.jpeg 5A157937-C924-4667-A4B7-859F847A43CA.jpeg Buy yourself that device you will be able located your steering wheel noise and more you need second person to help diagnose a issue!

15. Duh, why didn’t I think of that.

Here is the video with the cringing metal grinding sound.

16. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

That sound is in steering column bushing just below a wheel you don’t need stethoscope take a tube about 2’ long stick below wheel and into your ear and pinpoint a noise and put there silicone lubricant to eliminate a noise that noise is a squeaky noise not a grinding from metal

17. Wow, I learned something new today. I didn’t know there was such a thing as an EPS, that is how old I am.

So the SE really only has 2 fluids, the brake fluid and the windshield washer fluid.

My metal grinding noise is now more concerning.

SameGuy likes this.
  18. Thanks, Rexsio

I hear the metal grinding sound when stationary. I cannot say if I hear them for sure when mobile as there are a lot of ambient noises. Hopefully it is just gravel caught somewhere.

Have reached out to the dealer and I am just waiting for a date when to bring the car in.

19. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

The noise on video clip you show is only squeaky noise for that reason my steering column. Was replaced in my 2014 BMW I 3 I’m obviously not sure if your SE is a same case.

20. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Luverly!

Sounds like one of two things.
    1. You have a bracket rubbing somewhere on the shaft.
    2. Less likely. Power steering motor issue.

Try sport mode. If that changes nothing, turn the ignition off, down a can of spinach and turn the wheel unassisted. Parking on a stack of plastic carrier bags will make this easier. If this affects it, then the power steering is suspect. If it doesn't, look for something rubbing.

21. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Thats something I would be concerned about. Can you look under to see if there is anything that looks like it doesnt belong?

22. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Don’t forget the coolant.;)

insightman likes this.
  23. After starting the SE, I changed to sport mode and turned the steering wheel, the metal grinding noise was still there.

Then I turn the SE off and tried turning the steering wheel, it won’t budge; I reckon bec the SE was off?

I also tried to turn on the DTC, and still there is the metal grinding noise when turning.

I now noticed that I can hear the metal grinding noise when turning the steering wheel to the right, but not when turning to the left.

Also did I mention that I noticed that the SE slightly pulls to the left at 100km.