Slowest possible AC/DC charging?

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Aenergy, Aug 24, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Aenergy

Aenergy New Member

I'm looking into making an off-grid EV solar charger so I'm wondering:
    What is the slowest possible AC or DC charging possible? Is it possible to charge at 100w for example?

More specific: What is the lowest wattage (or amps*voltage) that can be communicated to be available from an EV charger to an EV through existing communication protocols used by type 1/2 or CCS charging?

I know around 700w is possible with my charger + lowering charging current in my car (doesn't say amps but I assume 230v*3a) but can it go lower than that? Or is it only possible by the car to limit further?

Why I ask: Slower is better because it increases the area under the curve by allowing charging earlier as sun ramps up/using less solar panels.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

There are more knowledgable people in the General forum (not many people follow the Energy forum). Perhaps you should ask your question there.

I googled "minimum J1772 amperage" and got this info:

The standardised communication protocol between the EV and charging station (IEC 61851-1) defined a minimum charging current of 6 A before an EV is allowed to start charging. This means that there is a minimum required power before your vehicle can start charging.