Silly question..why is the 2022 Kona EV So cheap?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ForceEdge, Aug 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

Why I question it, hyundai has the base price at 34,000 for the 2022 Kona EV, but the base price for the 2021 is just below 38,000.

Am I missing something here? Is quality less? What’s with the drastic price Decrease in the 2022 model

also seems odd considering the 2021 ioniq is just below 34,000 as well

thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. They might just want to get them off the lots so they can start selling Ioniq 5, Kia EV6 etc.

The Kona is an old ICE platform.

4. Great observation. It doesn't seem logical.

As an owner of both Ioniq and Kona EVs, I can say they are both well made and worth the money. The Kona brings more value with a larger battery and more range. It has way more HP and accelerates faster.

They can't price the Kona higher than the Ioniq 5. The I5 has yet more HP, battery capacity, range, and available features.

I do like the Ioniq's higher efficiency, power folding side mirrors and seat memory.

5. DelRider

DelRider Member

Hah! Great find! How would you like to be a Hyundai dealer? I just checked and there are 10 2021 Kona EV Ultimate within 50 miles. They are all about $47,000. Based on the Hyundai web site, there is no reason a person would go for a 2021 Ultimate over the cheaper, face lifted, and equally or better (?) equipped 2022 for $44,000 (includes shipping). I won't even get into us early adopters seeing the manufacturer of our cars cutting the resale values of our cars. Why look at a new leftover (let alone used) 2019 Limited for $36,000 when the new 2022 similarly equipped is $35,000. Insane. So now EVs are now the computers/electronic devices of the automobile market where it is obsolete before you even get it home? Hyperbole, but you get the point. Aside from the Cadillac Alante, I can't recall examples of when ICE car manufacturers have done this to their user base.
    Side note: and they are selling like crazy. The dealer I bought my Limited from had four 2021 Ultimate's two weeks ago. They are all gone now. Strange times indeed.

ForceEdge likes this.
  6. Does this factor in all dealer/manufacturer incentives? We got 7 years interest free on our recent 2021 purchase and I calculated that to have even more value to me than the actual dollar rebate they had.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

I don’t believe it factors in any incentives. 34,000 is the base price before everything.

Of course I like the $34,000 price…but it just seems a bit strange to me..

9. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

Could be, I just worry of quality and the same battery issues effecting in the 2022 models as well

10. A valid concern. However I understand (I might not be 100% correct on this) that the affected cells are all LG manufactured and that Hyundai used a different manufacturer later on. Unlike Chevy, which now recalls ALL Bolts and even EUVs ever built.

11. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

I would just point out that any suggestions about pricing strategy is mere speculation unless someone has insider knowledge at Hyundai. While you would think pricing decisions are related to production costs, that's clearly not the only factor.

A few facts that might be clues:

According to Hyundai's website, there is still a huge glut of 2021 inventory, at least in this part of the U.S (the northeast). There are still 842 units sitting on dealer lots within 250 miles of me despite the overall severe shortage of new car inventory at dealers. Hyundai has been offering substantial incentives to move these cars for many months. Are these perhaps indications the '21 MSRP's were too high given the market conditions over the last 12 months?

Dealer deliveries of 22's have been repeatedly delayed. There has been speculation Hyundai did not want to release the 22's while there was still such a glut of 21's remaining.

EV competition is increasing dramatically.

Jolee and Toolworker like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

If this were the reason I don't think you would be seeing Hyundai continuing to ship '22 Konas to dealers.

Ginginova likes this.
  14. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

As for quality, suggest you familiarize yourself with how highly Consumer Reports and JD Power rank Hyundai for quality.

As for the previous battery issues, I thought it was well documented the problem was resolved by the time 2021 model year cars were being produced. Are you seeing something different? Is there some reason you think the problem might return for 2022? I have not heard of this?

livingthecadream likes this.
  15. BrandyRay

BrandyRay New Member

I read an article recently that said Hyundai reduced the price to compete with the Chevy Bolt. (I tried the Bolt but I found the seating uncomfortable and the exterior was meh...). Unfortunately, the Kona EV is not available in N.C....I'm still waiting...

16. You can buy it in a neighboring states.

17. persianrider

persianrider Member

They will probably price the base price Ioniq5 similar to the VW ID.4 , which is 50k here in Canada and the 8k options which makes it 58k.... VW certainly had someone sit down and look at the numbers before they priced it since normally a 58k car wouldn't get both 8k (Quebec) and 5k (Can) rebate, because it's an "option" the 58k model does qualify for the 13k which is pretty darn cool (and smart)

If the Kona would have remained 53k (for the Ultimate) and the Ioniq5 @ or around 50k, it wouldn't have made sense since the Ioniq5 is seen as the new "premium" EV

Which bring us to also the Chevy Bolt, lots of people look at the base sticker price, but when you start loading the BOLT EUV up, it goes close to the 50k as well

Funny thing is Chevy always has the higher interest rate ....the Hyundai always wins when you factor everything to be honest (cost/options/interest)

Let's not forget some people don't have the luxury of waiting, so they'll take the 2021 since its there, but the 0% rate does help it

18. Nissan just dropped the base price for the Leaf by $6800 in Canada. It's just economics. More competitive markets begat better pricing.

Ginginova likes this.
  19. Lex23

Lex23 Member

There are a couple reasons:

A)2022 or 2023 will be the last Konas. Hyundai is moving towards Ionic 5.. they actually won’t have Kona in Europe next year.

B) Ionic 5 was also announced to be under the price limit for many of the incentives. So the newer Konas will go even cheaper to be able to sell them

C)Here in B.C. the 2021 is getting sold at zero% interest rate.. where the 2022 is at 3 or 4%…

Other than that I haven’t read or heard any difference. Kona E was based on the ICE version, so they are trying to also remove that and have a car that was planned and based purely electric

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs