SE speed inaccuracy?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by perraru, Feb 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. perraru

perraru New Member

Hi all, first time poster!
    I've been researching Mini Cooper SEs for a month now and stumbled upon a YouTube review that mentions that the speedometer runs fast on the 2020. Is that still an issue? I've watched a lot of videos and that's the first I've heard of it.
    Thanks!

@ 1:29

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. LaurieS

LaurieS Active Member

I have owned 5 MINIs. The speedo is always 2 mph faster than your actual speed. If you compare the speedo to your GPS speed there is always 2 mph difference. It's just something you know when you own MINIs. :)

4. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

This is common to almost any car, but especially European manufactures. It is illegal to have a speedometer that reads slow, so to account for tolerances and such they bias them to read fast. My Toyota reads about 2% fast.

wessy and Carsten Haase like this.
  5. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Yea, I really dislike it, but my i3 always reads about 2-3% fast. It's annoying, but I just always run around 2-3MPH faster, and keep an eye on what Waze shows while driving.

6. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

If you really don't like it, the option is there in Bimmercode to show the accurate speed. I haven't checked to make sure it works, though. On my 2012 Countryman, it fixed the digital readout but not the analog gauge, and I didn't like the mismatch so I changed it back.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. perraru

perraru New Member

Okay, thanks for all the input. I feel much better! I have zero Mini experience and that random bit of info was sending me over the edge lol. My 2020 Bolt was wrecked in December and I put in an order for the Cooper SE. The dealership said mid Feb I should take delivery :D

wessy likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Welcome to the forum! The optimistic MINI speedometer won't save one from a speeding ticket, but it makes speeding a tiny bit more fun. MINI says the fastest the electronically limited SE can go is 93.2 mph (150 km/h), but I have seen 95 mph on a level road.

10. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I've seen 96 a couple times. It's too easy to go fast in this car.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Ninety-six?!?! I didn't know the MINI Cooper JCWE had been released!

wessy, F14Scott and chrunck like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I live near a road with a radar sign, and all of the MINIs I've owned were off by 3 mph (so a speed of 43 mph would read on the radar sign as 40 mph). My 2021 SE is dead-on, so 40 mph reads as 40 mph. I also tested against other radar signs, so the sign is not out of calibration.

14. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I think you are in the minority here on an accurate SE reading! You're lucky. Mine is dead-on 2 mph fast.

15. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

According to a GPS run over 77 miles the trip meter vs the GPS meter shows a difference of around 2% which would be down to speed inaccuracy so the speedometer does over-read about 2% making a displayed 51mph actually 50mph.

16. Radar speed signs are almost everywhere in the Ottawa region. They are all in km per hour.
    Both my MINI and a Toyota Corolla when travelling at the indicated speed limit, would appear to be 2 kph slower and this is the case for every one of these signs. This 2kph delta occurs at 40; 50; 60; and 80 kph.
    To register at the speed indicated, one needs to actually go 2 kph faster.

I suspect the city has calibrated them that way.

My big concern is that eventually, every one of theses radar signs will also be fitted with cameras to issue speeding tickets.

Mike Wazowski
    & more ️ than &

17. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

That isn't normal behavior. Normally the speedometer and odometer are not in agreement. The speedometer reads 2% high, but the vehicle knows the actual speed (you can find it on bimmercode). Knowing the actual speed allows for accurate odometer readings.

18. My 2022 SE shows just a few km/h more than what I read using the GPS in my mobile phone. Compared to my 2014 Subaru BRZ this difference is much smaller (the BRZ differs by about 5 km/h). As the Mini has a GPS I am sure that this slight difference is intentional.

19. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Owned 2 Minis and yes 2mph fast