Rumble on re-gen solved!!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Charged_Up, Jan 14, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

Thanks to a MrFixit post from March 2021, I have solved the noise that my 2019 touring was making in re-gen mode.

By using the OBD2 port (again thanks to MrFixit and Lincomatic) to monitor re-gen and brake pressure, I was able to determine the noise I had was only happening when the hydraulic brakes were applied.

Under certain conditions (speed and charge state) pulling the regen paddle puts a small amount of pressure in the brake system. Depressing the brake pedal seems to always put a small amount of pressure in the system

By getting up to 50+ mph putting the car in neutral (which turns off the motor and generator power) I was able to duplicate the noise just by applying the brakes.

A few stops from 50 to zero while in neutral freed up the brakes and the sound is much reduced.

I’m thinking under normal usage the brakes are hardly used and either the caliper slides froze or rust had built up on the rotors. I also run my car through the local car wash very often as it is right next to my daily coffee stop and I have a monthly flat rate for washing.

Thanks to all for your feedback and especially to MrFixit.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Nice Sleuthing Job !!

I think you may have had a hard time getting a diagnosis out of the dealer on this one
    But with some persistence, and armed with the OBD to give you some visibility, you saved yourself some aggravation.

Others on the forum have definitely noticed ill-effects from rust accumulation on the rotors due to under use.

Daniel M W likes this.
  4. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Good on both of you. Delighted to hear you figured it out. Also a brake issue is unlikely to break the bank or be ongoing issue for your car.