"... Rivian will integrate Alexa into its electric pickup and SUV"

Discussion in 'Rivian' started by EyeOnEVs, Jan 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. EyeOnEVs

EyeOnEVs New Member

As reported by TechCrunch Rivian announces ahead of CES that it will integrate with Alexa.

Rivian will integrate Amazon’s voice assistant Alexa into the R1T pickup and R1S SUV, the company’s first electric vehicles that are set to debut at the end of the year.

Rivian said Monday it also plans to extend the Alexa integration to 100,000 electric delivery trucks that Amazon has ordered from the automaker. The electric vans are expected to start delivering packages to customers in 2021.

The integration into the R1T and R1S will give owners access to standard Alexa features, such as playing music, placing calls and navigation, as well as the ability to control the climate, open and close the trunk and other vehicle features.

Rivian said it plans to give Alexa other capabilities designed for its vehicles. For instance, owners will be able to remotely tap into the camera embedded in Rivian’s pickup truck from Amazon screen-based services like Echo Show and Fire TV to check on whatever gear is stashed there. The integration also will allow access to certain Alexa features when the vehicle is offline, a decision meant to match up with how these vehicles might be used.

Rivian’s vision is to “enable exploration without compromises and provide our owners the best digital experience, no matter where their adventure takes them,” said Rivian founder and CEO RJ Scaringe. “We want this to be the most comprehensive, most seamless Alexa integration in the market.”

</snip>

Source and to read rest of the article: https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/06/amazon-backed-rivian-will-integrate-alexa-into-its-electric-pickup-and-suv/

I didn't realize Rivian had placed a camera that covers the R1T bed.
    Also wise that the Alexa features will work offline - handy when in remote areas with no coverage.

1 person likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'm at CES and went to finally see the vehicle in person. I couldn't get close (see pic, which doesn't really show the full extent of the mob).

I'll be here for another day and will make another trip. Hopefully things will have quieted down. Rivian stand CES 2020.jpg

1 person likes this.
  4. Roy A.

Roy A. New Member

hi Domenick, did you learn of any new information that we haven't heard of from forum discussions?

1 person likes this.
  5. Hmm. Well, I learned that the trucks that were on the Pan American trip weren't quite the same as the prototypes on display. They said there were a number of differences (but not what those differences were) -- not necessarily improvements, but rather just things they wanted to try out. Also that the trucks had returned and were pretty tore up -- by this I think they meant wear parts like suspension pieces, etc -- and that they were being taken apart and evaluated.

They also mentioned that the first drives for people outside the company would be happening in a few months and that they would be involving pre-order holders and not just press. The company wants to have those who helped them get where they are involved in the process, which I think is a really great idea, at least from a public relations perspective.

Of course, they mentioned that they're very happy with the number of orders they'd received. And now I wish I had of recorded the conversation, because I'm sure there were a few more things that may have slipped my mind already. CES is pretty intense.

I have a few more pics on my phone, but nothing, I think, no one has seen yet. I will say it was really great to see the vehicle in person. Although the bed may be shorter than what I'm used to, it's still pretty substantial and the lighting in it is frikkin' awesome.

6. John Bryan

John Bryan New Member

Apple CarPlay / Android Auto? I have really enjoyed wireless Apple CarPlay integration in my Audi. For me, the phone is my primary tech home and integration into my vehicle is a primary preference.

7. To remove this ad click here.